The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Movin' along with another from Wes...

[​IMG]

Movin' Along - Wes Montgomery (Riverside)
    with
    James Clay (flute & tenor), Victor Feldman (piano), Sam Jones (bass), & Louis Hayes (drums)

Recorded 1960.

Another excellent sounding disc from from has turned out to be a very tasty (and authentic) wee box set.

2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Have and treasure this record for quite a long time. For a similar Karin Krog experience, I can recommend "We Could Be Flying" with Steve Kuhn (p) + Steve Swallow (b) + Jon Christensen (dr) from 1974 (Polydor) .... if you are interested to have a sort of overview reg her euvre, look no furher then "Don`t Just Sing - An Anthology : 1963 -1999" (Light In The Attic) ....

NP :

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Novus Sony Japan SICP-30242 Blue-spec CD2) .... splendid Monk tribute recording from 1998 feat Clifford Jordan (ts) + Larry Willis (p) + George Mraz (b) + Al Foster (dr) + Charlie Rouse (ts) .....

3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Elektra Musician German Press MUS K 52 415) .... speaking of Monk tribute albums, this certainly is another substantial contribution ..... recorded on February 17th, 1982 and feat Charlie Rouse (ts) + Kenny Barron (p) + Buster Williams (b) + Ben Riley (dr) ....

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    fingerpoppin, Marzz, BluTom and 7 others like this.
  4. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Cecil Payne at 77 sounds great!

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Dawn of Midi - "Dysnomia"

scompton and ronfint like this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

2009 Nonesuch 480380-2 CD

Perfect music for a Sunday morning

Makes me miss New Orleans and the deep south terribly, got to go back someday, soon

Love you Allen, and miss you too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fingerpoppin, Mychkine, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  7. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Me too. I lived in NO for 10 years. Whenever I think about it, I miss it.

Thanks for your post!

Mychkine and rxcory like this.
  8. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

These are all excellent suggestions but let me just add Ethiopian Knights to the groovy/funk period albums. It's his best from the 70s IMO.

9. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Add some cuts of meat and we'll have the first "butcher cover" in Jazz!

Add some cuts of meat and we'll have the first "butcher cover" in Jazz.

10. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

John Coltrane / A Love Supreme / Impulse / 1964 / Japanese UCCI-9002 24/96 Mini LP from the "A Love Supreme" 10CD Boxset

Personnel: John Coltrane (tenor sax), McCoy Tyner (piano), Jimmy Garrison (bass), Elvin Jones (drums)

Technical: Produced by Bob Thiele. Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder on December 9, 1964 at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Cover Photo by Bob Thiele. Cover Design by George Gray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been several years since I last listened to this version of "A Love Supreme". After buying the AP SACD and the HDTracks 24/192 files I considered those my favourite versions. But listening to this japanese version today reminded me how good it really is. I turned the volume all the way up and it was still a pleasure to listen to, but more detailed and forward than any other version. Maybe they used an early japanese tape copy?

11. Rob F

Rob F Forum Resident

Charles Mingus - Tonight At Noon

[​IMG]

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for the rec. I do have the Carmen McRae album, a real favorite of mine. Probably the best Monk that has ever been sung. I had the cd for decades but ran across a vinyl copy a year or so ago. I bet that cd above sounds really good.
    I've been really impressed with the blu-spec cd2 discs I have bought. How much of it is the methodology vs. mastering I'm not sure but I like the results.

+1 on Sphere too. I have two on the Italian Red label and the one above you posted and like them all but the Red lps are live and I prefer them slightly to the Columbia album but they're all good i,o.

NP Richie Beirach at Maybeck Recital Hall (Concord)
    This was one of the first albums I bought by Beirach but not the last. This series introduced me to several pianists or gave me more insight on their sound.

ronfint and Soulpope like this.
  13. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

14. jiffypopinski

:laugh:

It's a weird cover but a really awesome album. Some fiery, amazing playing on this one and the follow-up Mokujiki. I love all of the Yamashita Trio recordings I have.

yasujiro likes this.
  15. jiffypopinski

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Right now, getting ready for the Mobile Fidelity Labs "E.S.P." SACD that should arrive on Tuesday by comparing two Sony CD versions I have (both DSD masters, one by a Japanese engineer in 2000, and one by Mark Wilder in 2006 reissued on Blu-Spec CD2 in 2013. . . I can get a bit geeky with Miles releases as I've been collecting them since '72.)

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The connotation behind the cover is that 'Sayonara America ('s jazz), Jazz is the world language now and this is the Japanese jazz!'

18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Another Karin Krog:

[​IMG]

19. jiffypopinski

Very cool! I just adore Japanese jazz. It can be so hip, groovy and spiritual... or in the case of Yamashita, Abe and Takayanagi brutally powerful! I am almost always surprised whenever I purchase some Japanese jazz from the 60s/70s that I haven't heard before. Still so much to explore!!! :cool:

Marzz, dennis the menace and yasujiro like this.
  20. jiffypopinski

Jackie McLean - Destination... Out!

[​IMG]

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Shuko Mizuno JAZZ ORCHESTRA '75 (TBM)

This is one of the Japanese jazz albums I love for many years. Mizuno is a classical trained composer and he loves jazz, too.
    The tenor sax soloist is Seiich Nakamura who was a member of the Yosuke Yamashita's trio. The alto sax is played by Kenji Mori. Everything is exciting in this awesome work.

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

23. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Like Distant Voices, this was produced by legendary critic, Aquirax Aida. Derek Bailey meets Japanese musicians.

25. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member