Albums that you love that you wish had been better produced/engineered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

After posting, it occurred to me that the producer also manages the budget. Maybe, in this case, the budget didn't allow further work on the drum sound.

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Wilco - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel - sounds intentionally too low fi with disparate noise thrown in and pro tools dominated

3. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

So right on Californication. Listening in my car is sounds like one giant mess and a ton of distortion when I try to turn it up. I suppose it came at the time of the loudness wars where CDs were produced to be loud distorted messes. It's still one of my favorite albums though and I'm sure I can work with it once I get my pre-amp, amp and CD player set up to my B&W speakers.

Clanceman likes this.
  4. Another vote for the First National band and bottom-end -less Monkees records.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  5. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

All of the Who albums up to Who's Next

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  6. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

YES's Relayer and Going for The One
    Genesis Wind and Wuthering

7. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

It seems to me that before the 1960s at least the major record labels seemed to have people working for them that imposed a level of quality control over the sound of their product, whether they were recorded in one of a label's own studios, or in an independent facility that could deliver masters of a comparable quality standard, like Radio Recorders. So if a master was delivered that was too bassy, too dull or too shrill or what have you, these QC people would listen to it and supervise doctoring the delivered master to meet as closely as possible their standards. They'd bring up the bass in an AND JUSTICE FOR ALL or reject a VAPOR TRAILS or a CALIFORNICATION because of the distortion....not that they'd want to transform any of them into so much Mantovani.

Was it part of the contract terms record companies had to accede to to get newer performers to sign with them that such quality supervision would not be involved in the production of their records? It seems like giving the artists so much liberty has resulted in quite a few records that pushed sound quality and music forward but also opened the door to some OTT sonic disasters as well.

8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Going for the One. - Yes
    Physical Graffitti -Led Zeppelin
    Summerteeth. And Yankee Foxtrot Hotel. - Wilco
    Gabriel Era Genesis

9. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Anything by T.Rex after Visconti left.

10. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Hotter than Hell by KISS
    And Justice For All by Metallica
    Green Mind by Dinosaur Jr.

11. zx2dave

zx2dave Forum Resident

Stone Temple Pilots- Tiny Music

12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Why NO bass on And Justice still baffles me

13. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

This is an interesting thought shared by many- and yet, those 2 albums , in my opinion ..were produced just fine and have carved a music-memory played on radios all over the place to everyone, and came off very convincing. What would you change about LIB and ATMustPass ?

14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full
    The Fireman - Electric Arguments
    Dwight Yoakam - 3 Pears
    The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
    Bruce Springsteen - Magic
    Wilco - Wilco (The Album)
    The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang

They all suffer from LOUD.

stef1205 likes this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The 2010 remasters are absolutely dire. Some of the worst sounding albums I've heard. Shame.

16. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Anything by Deep Purple

17. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Tim is mainstream rock? Your thinking of PTMMee or Don't tell a soul

18. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

The Growing Concern's album on Mainstream Records. Apparently, if Mainstream offered you a deal to record an album, you had to pretty much go in and record it, whether you were ready to or not, and The Growing Concern only had one session in the studio.

19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Gentle Giant-The Missing Piece. Absolutely no bottom end, which is a shame as they had a kick- ass bassist in Ray Shulman and the music is top tier !
    I put it on every few years thinking that maybe it isn`t that bad, but always have to take it off when my ears start bleeding !

Also the frst Journey album could be killer if it was not so poorly mixed and mastered. Good fusion stuff mixed with a residual Santana vibe.

20. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Even Machine Head ? Personally I think this is a great, ballsy recording that suits the music perfectly.

21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I would say much of the Jeff Lynne late-80s/early-90s drums could stand it be redone.

All Things Must Pass for sure. A lot of McCartneys albums whe he's the producer. Jackson Browne s/t album.

22. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

Obituary - Cause of Death
    And basically every other album produced by that butcher Scott Burns. He made half the genre sound so plasticky and samey in the 90s. Seems like only Incantation and Autopsy were keeping it real at this time.

New York Dolls - s/t
    Guitar sounds nice and raunchy, that's about it. No bass, the vocals are way too high in the mix, like he thought he was producing his usual pop...

Judas Priest's run from Sad Wings of Destiny to Stained Class
    Maybe the most classy, emotional, ahead-of-its-time metal out there, musically speaking... but their studio sound was just feeble. I wonder if Iron Maiden would have culturally eclipsed Priest as 'the go-to traditional metal band' the way they did if any of Priest's old albums sounded good.

Raw Power is screwed up five ways from sunday but IMO that's part of what the album is artistically. I think fixing that would be like somebody remixing MBV's Loveless and saying "let's get rid of all this reverb and make the vocals more clear."

23. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Well, look at the individuals involved in the decision to bury the bass. There are versions in the ether that sound a ton better.

24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Country Life - Roxy Music

Just doesn't sound good, sonically speaking, at least not any version I've heard

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

The 80's Queen albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.