New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

So the moral of the story is that Piper will be worth getting? As someone mentioned, originals are scarce.

2. john lockland

john lockland Forum Resident

The opening riff of Interstellar Overdrive is worth it all

polchik, Hattipper and Beet like this.
  3. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

One of the most mindblowing songs I've ever heard.

Hattipper and Mazzy like this.
  4. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

The rough type of cardboard commonly used in thick inners from the 70s and 80s, particularly in the UK, can certainly cause enough damage to the vinyl surface over time to have an audible impact, most notably in quiet sections. In general, visual sleeve scuffs can often be inaudible but that's very rarely the case when cardboard is involved, in my experience.

Hawklord likes this.
  5. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I can't fault it, my favourite album and it sounds incredible.

6. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Most definitiely (if you'd ask me). But you should check it out by yourself if it fits your taste..

7. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Me either!! I like More far better than either The Wall and DSOTM!

8. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I'm reviewing my original Tower Records Saucerful Of Secrets to determine whether I need a new copy. I've had it since release. My early '70s Columbia Piper seems in good enough shape to not replace. Do the cognoscenti have a problem with this pressing?

9. I have that one too. Mine is Pristine and sounds pretty great.

B. Bu Po likes this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

A meddle that doesn't suffer from sssssibilance on Ssssan Tropez would be nice.

11. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

The Piper or the Saucer?

12. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

The German 1C 064 does sound pretty good...and my original UK does have a lot of surface noise from the inner sleeve.
    Can't help you in locating a German pressing, tho. I lucked out and found mine at a local Goodwill.

vapor minor and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  13. Sorry. Saucer. But I'll get the new Piper. Have the other three.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    B. Bu Po likes this.
  14. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

I'm pretty happy with the HTM cut 1983 Fame reissue...but I'll probably still get the new reissue.

15. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I have the HTM cut Fame also. It has a tiny scratch on the first song, but it plays through nicely. I grabbed it last year for $6 at a local shop. Guess they didn't know what they had. I like it, but I also ordered the new release. Since originals are way out of my price range, I'll have to settle for these alternatives.

16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I have this and scored a NM one for $20. One to keep an eye out for its really nice, green label. Mine is G5G (Barry) hand written with the 5AE side stamped.

17. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Hmm. Optimal may be the way to go for pressing quality, but that won't fix a bad mastering job. Thanks for the review.

18. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I don't think the mastering is bad. It's just not very impressive. As others have said, though, the original album never sounded that great so this may be faithful in its mastering.

19. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Any indications that is the same 2011 mastering? I hope we won't end up with something like the Queen vinyl remasters.

mr.dave likes this.
  20. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I only have the 1994 cd. Sorry!

21. spintheblack72

If these go down the route we mostly expect they will from the masters but to digital then to vinyl I think those that don't have the back cat on vinyl it will be great, I'm sure they'll sound great but I have everything on good pressings and it's all analogue so I'm happy.

Though if they pull a Beatles mono (unlikely) and they are AAA then yes I'll be interested. I'm just glad for those that now have a chance to own these albums in what I'm sure should be rather impressive even when they inevitably going to be digital.

I'm looking forward to hearing peoples opinions when these appear.

Pancat likes this.
  22. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I don't have the early records on vinyl, but I'll pass, if they are not done properly. I was recently disappointed twice (Queen/Peter Gabriel) and I'm quite pi*** off, that the industry wants our money, charges a lot and is not willing to care a bit about the product, respectivley does their job right.

They want to sell vinyl, then they should produce it in the right way...

And I won't ever preorder something from the big players anymore. I was so excited, when the Peter Gabriel reissue series was announced and I orderd everything right away. I can't put it into words how disappointed I was, when I finally received the 6 records. And I paid, what I would call serious money for them. Same with the Queen Box. If the LPs are not properly mastered (and that means in a project like this generally AAA to me), I'll definitely pass unless I get them really cheap (like I would have got the Gabriel LPs only few weaks after they were released.

The Beatles Mono Box shows how it goes. Such a great, great product!!

Just my 5 cents..

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  23. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

MusicDirect has these in stock, in case anyone wants to get them a couple of days early. I canceled my preorder with DeepDiscount, and was going to order instead from MD, but now I think that I'll hold off until I see more reviews.

24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Agreed. I wonder if Meddle is the album Roger talks about on Pompeii that they had to try and fix sibilance on. They don't mention a title, they are far too stoned and more fixated on eating at the time :0)

25. spintheblack72

It was actually Obscured By Clouds he was talking about, he mentioned that the early pressings were badly cut.

The way he just says "If you hear sibilance on the second pressing, you have good imagination" to Steve O'rourke I believe it is on Live at Pompei always gives me a chuckle, a proper Blu ray release is way over due.

polchik, Pancat and tim185 like this.