How often do you re-watch your music DVD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

I go through spurts. I may not go back to one for a month, maybe more..then something will come along that reminds me of one (like putting on side one of Sticky Fingers the other day got me in the mood to watch the '71 Marquee disc) and once I put that one on, I'll get in the mood for two or three more (I followed it with The Stones' performance on R and R circus and followed THAT with sections of Charlie Is My Darling). Forum discussions will also play a role in what I get in the mood to see.

...but it's definitely not a daily or weekly thing.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  2. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

Almost never. I wish I did, but I'm more likely to play the disc with the TV screen off just to listen to them. Never figured out why, but been doing this for at least a decade.

3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Not so often anymore. Perhaps because it is so accessible, you end up like a spoiled kid who's excited about something for three minutes and then go meh I want more! Back in the 80s I'd sell my soul/body for Wings "Rockshow" and watch it five times in a row if I found a VHS copy to rent.

4. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

The average DVD in my collection will fall out of heavy rotation once the newness wears off. Still, there are a few that I keep coming back to at least once a year, due to a combination of performance and technical quality. I have to pop Dire Straits' "Alchemy" in my player periodically to recharge my Brit Rock batteries. Others that call to me from the shelf are an early '80's Japanese Laserdisc called "The Essential Mike Oldfield" (I've copied it to DVD but it seems to be out of print now), McCartney's "Back in the U.S." and almost anything by The Corrs.

5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Less often than before streaming stuff is really changed that

Certain artist one and done some I haven't even opened the package

hi_watt likes this.
  6. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I don't watch them unless something prompts me to do so -- a guest's request, an artist's death or something. I lost interest in sitting around watching music videos over the decades, dunno why. Probably should sell them all. But I do watch some music TV -- the Daryl Hall show is running right now on the DVR, with the O'Jays. Nice.

7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It depends on what's immediately accessible on YouTube. Especially since I have the YouTube app on my Apple TV so I'm not just limited to a phone or computer. But even before that it depended on which artists I was into from time to time.

8. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

yea almost never...i get hyped when its announced....die with anticipation...then finally buy it....watch it...enjoy the hell out of it.
    then i never touch it again lol

problem is that tv requires your full attention.....music can be multitasked.

9. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I watch the Stones DVD releases quite a bit but I usually cherry pick select tracks to play. AC/DC and Queen are other bands that I routinely play their concert DVD's. As far as comps go, the Live Aid collection and the Saturday Night Live Music Collection are in constant rotation. I actually watch more video collections on DVD than live concerts.

10. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I usually play them once or twice then they just become part of "the collection". I pretty much quit buying them about five years ago because of this. The money is better spent on an audio CD for me.

11. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

The ones that I actually watched more than once are RockShow, Celebration Day and Quadrophenia live 2013. But only a few tracks..

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I used to watch my DVDs almost religiously but I've cut back. I watched Runnin' Down A Dream in full the other day, but before that, I think the only DVD I'd watched in at least six months was Pink Floyd's Live At Pompeii, and I don't remember if I finished it (I probably skipped through the music sections to see the interviews about halfway through). However since trying to write a song has soured my mood and I don't know what CD to put on, I think I'll look through my DVD collection and see if there's anything I'd like to watch now.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've gone years without playing one, but recently, I've pulled out U2's Zooropa and Stevie Nicks Live at Red Rocks (laser discs, not DVDs).

hi_watt likes this.
  14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Almost never

I sold a bunch recently...sick of me not ever playing them :)

15. I have a lot of concert DVD's and Blurays and there's hardly one I've watched more than 2-3 times.So not great value.
    Still silly enough to be excited over Totally Stripped,Bluray Rust Never Sleeps and to a lesser extent U2 In Paris though.

rstamberg likes this.
  16. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Maybe a handful of times when new,
    and then only once every couple years.

17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Almost never. The only musician I've watched a filmed performances more than one or twice was Hendrix, and mainly when I was a teen and had had a few video tapes featuring his performances. Two reasons 1) Hendrix was such a captivating and dynamic performer -- check out his rousing take of "Johnny B. Goode" from Jimi Plays Berkely. 2) I was born too late to have had a chance to see him live.

kanakaris likes this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Not often.
    I always have too many I haven't watched yet in the hopper.

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

You're right. I remember when I was a kid and I found Rush's Exit Stage Left VHS concert and I remember watching it all the time. There weren't a lot of concerts really available back then so you cherished what was on vhs or maybe you taped a concert off tv back then. Now there are just so many outlets from streaming to YouTube that everyone is just so spoiled and over killed with shows that it just kind of takes the excitement away.

hi_watt and the sands like this.
  20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not very often.
    However, I tore my achilles tendon, had surgery and am in a cast and fairly immobile right now.
    I've pretty much burned through all the Beatle movies, 1+, Concert for George and some other solo stuff over the past week

Michael likes this.
  21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Actually, since DVDs are still my primary source for viewing, I probably watch at least one music disc most weekends. I still have my laserdiscs of the Beatles Anthology and watch it once a year too. Perhaps I'll watch my 1+ Blu-ray to top off the long weekend.

22. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I probably watch each one an average of once per year.

Purple and Jerryb like this.
  23. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I listen to audio about 95% of the time and watch music DVDs about 5% of the time.

24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Three times a year, maybe more. It'll be my Stones Blu Ray's, or Eagles, KISS.

25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I view my music DVDs at least twice when they are new. After that it depends on how much I enjoyed a particular video and even then it's still rather rare that I'll sit and watch one.

I find myself returning to audio much more than I do video. For example, the recent Vault releases from the Stones are items I return to fairly often but only the CD portion.

I really don't know why but once I've seen the video of the performances I'm good ...But I'll keep returning to the audio portion.

I really don't purchase music videos anymore unless they are accompanied with a CD. You would think I could put the video on and listen to the same concert without continually staring at the television if I don't want to. However, for me at least, any video seems to distract me from what I really want to do.

And that's simply hear the music.

eileen and vitorbastos123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.