Where I can I find McIntosh replacement tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robbhilson, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbhilson

Robbhilson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am a new owner of a used McIntosh MC275 Amp that has a bad tube (12 AT-7). Does anybody know where I can buy new Mc replacement tubes? Also do I need to buy just one or multiple tubes so that they will be "matched"? Would appreciate anyone's help.

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Macintosh doesn't make tubes, they spec out tubes that can be purchased anywhere including from their dealers and maybe some have Macintosh printing on the side.

The 12 AT7 is an input tube, right? I am no expert but I used matched power tubes in my CJ amp and input tubes I just swapped around when they needed to be changed but I didn't bother getting matched tubes but I always ran the same brand and age (unless one burned out early then I would go with the same brand).

3. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Buying McIntosh branded tubes is IMHO a waste of money. I don't know what version of MC275 you have, but my MC275mkVI came with McIntosh OEM branded JJ tubes. You can get JJ 12AT7s at many tube dealers, such as Tube Depot, for much less than the McIntosh branded ones, with identical sound.

If you want to experiment, any 12AT7 will work in the MC275. I have tried NOS Mullard CV4024 in mine and it sounded exactly the same as with the JJs. I also tried Russian Tung-Sol reissues, but these were too bright. People sneer at JJs, I think they acquired unreliable reputation early on, but so far I've had nothing but good experience with them and they sound great. Nice smooth sound with great bass, not too sparkly in the treble, just the way I like 'em.

And no, you don't necessarily *need* matched small signal tubes, but it is inexpensive to get them matched, so why not. It is, however, generally recommended to use the same type and version of tubes in the corresponding positions. In your case, I'd probably replace all four 12AT7s at the same time, but you could just replace the two in the channel that went bust, and see if you hear a difference between channels.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    McLover likes this.
  4. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

As other posters said, you need not buy the McIntosh brand tubes, which are made by a 3rd party. You might want to try thetubestore.com, Upscale Audio here in California or Music Direct or even eBay if you feel adventurous. I've had good luck with new old stock tubes (they seem not to age in storage over the years), new Mullard brand valves (Russia) and I recently tried a Canadian (Chinese made) brand called Northern Electric. Some audio gear uses auto bias to eliminate the need to match the tubes but I'm not sure about McIntosh.

5. Robbhilson

Thanks for the info. Probably a dumb question but I presume different tubes may produce a different color vs. the OEM green?

6. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

AFAIK McIntosh does not even sell matched tubes. They say the circuits are designed to meet specs even with unmatched tubes. I tested the OEM stock power tubes that came with the MC275 in my MaxiMatcher, and they were all over the place. I do use matched tubes in it now, though, just because...

:) The green glow is not from the tubes. There are LEDs in the tube sockets. Any tube will glow the same green unless you turn the illumination off. Then all of them (including the OEM ones) will glow the proper tubish reddish.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    martinb4 and snorker like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh circuitry is designed with average tubes of a given type in mind. Therefore, your job as owner replacing them is easy. This is not ARC or Conrad-Johnson here. Find a good 12AT7, install it, and get back to music.

8. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

Brent Jessie sells lots of NOS tubes and Kevin Deal at Upscale audio.

McLover likes this.
  9. Robbhilson

Thank you all. Great advice.

10. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

11. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

McLover, Hi. Spent a couple of hours with your buddy in Knoxville this last Saturday. A drive from Atlanta to Knoxville is worth it to have your Mac amps looked at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.