Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Anytime! I hope that helps.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mine is D1 and D4 and it's from 1957 so yours is really early. I wonder if there ever was a D1/D1?

Just useless info, trying to figure out how long parts were used back then

DLant likes this.
  3. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

It managed to find its way to Washington state, now it's back on the eastern seaboard. We're about two hours away from Scranton, so it's kinda back home in a sense.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Get it while you can! All the 45 rpms done by SH are fantastic.

dale 88 and DLant like this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

There is going to be an hour dedicated to Nat Cole's music on KPBX, public radio, in Spokane this coming Saturday evening at 9PM Pacific time. I went to college with the host, and he contacted me to get a little input, and I sent a few things his way, so there may be some less-often-heard stuff on the bill, although I have not seen the playlist for the program. Anyway, it can be streamed "live"* on Saturday night at KPBX.org and Spokanepublicradio.org.

*(The program was apparently taped last night for broadcast on Saturday.)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    coleman and Simon A like this.
  6. MLutthans

30 minutes to broadcast time, if interested.

7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Tough listening. All kinds of incorrect info being tossed about.

8. MLutthans

Yeah, some issues with that, but the music's good thus far.

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

No question.

10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

After years of searching for it at a reasonable price, I finally landed a copy of this long-out-of-print, 4-CD set, "Sweet Lorraine." It's early radio transcriptions that, as I understand it, are not found on various other collections, but there are no liner notes! I assumed there'd be a booklet with session info, but no such luck. My copy is used, however, so perhaps this set originally included liner notes... Anyone here know?

[​IMG]

11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Congratulations! I scored one about eight years ago and I seem to recall that there was a booklet with liner notes. This is such amazing collection of music. Enjoy! :)

12. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Yes, it comes with a 16 page booklet. Most of it is track name, vocalist, author/composer, label info, and date. The site below presents much of it, sans label and and author/composer.

Nat King Cole/The King Cole Trio-"Sweet Lorraine"-The Complete Early Transcriptions-1938-1941 »

While I was searching for this, I came across a book of sheet music (Nat Cole - Unforgettable) published in 1989. Contains just over 30 songs.

http://ekladata.com/HYjcXFWOKcNCWh6fEgayTIRFD8g/Nat-King-Cole-songbook.pdf

Simon A likes this.
  13. Clark V Kauffman

Thanks for that link! This should be very helpful.

14. Clark V Kauffman

Looking forward to it. Found it on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $15. I have the single-disc NKC Trio releases from Vintage Jazz Classics and love them, but this was my 'white whale.'

Simon A likes this.
  15. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Anyone have any info on this transcription? The only two Treasury Department discs I have documented for Nat are 06/25/1950 (Almost Like Being In Love 2:10, It’s Only A Paper Moon 1:10) and 01/28/1948 (Almost Like Being In Love 2:19, Those Things Money Can’t Buy 2:42). This one is dated 07/18/1954.

[​IMG]

Simon A and DLant like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Who's Del Sharbutt? Sounds like a suudo-nymme.

17. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

18. Steve Hoffman

19. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Yes. Always thought it was both sad and amazing how some people fade into obscurity while others with lesser contributions live on in the public mind. Guess it's just the way it is.

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

All I could see on the web is that Nat's first song is Make Her Mine. And Nelson Riddle's first song is In The Hall of the Mountain King. I don't know how accurate that is since Nelson Riddle didn't record Mountain King until August 23, 1955. (??) Didn't Guest Star mostly play the current singles recordings?

21. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I have a copy of the regular swirl 45 of this, but I'd never seen this promo copy. The Merry Young Souls recorded this with Ralph Carmichael on February 10, 1964, but the surprising thing to me is that Nat was likely not in attendance; he was on the other side of the country playing the Copa in New York.

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  22. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Never heard of this. Found Sixteen Tons on YouTube. Very, um, different.

23. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Taken in October or September 1948, this photo is from a Peggy Lee show. For the entire 1948-1949 season, she was the hostess of the Thursday edition of NBC's Chesterfield Supper Club. Hubby Dave Barbour served as conductor and she had a guest in every single installment. Nat was actually her very first guest; he was heard over five consecutive weeks, starting on September 30 and ending on October 28. In some of these episodes, Nat and trio performed only by themselves; in others, he duetted with Peggy. Hence we could speculate that, in this photo, they are preparing themselves for one of the duets. Given the presence of a pen, and the merry faces, I further wonder if they could be putting together the tongue-in-cheek Chesterfield jingle that Nat and Peggy sang jointly in one of the episodes.

Peggy also had Nat as a guest in a radio show of hers from the early 1950s, and she had conversely been a guest in his earlier radio show, but I don't think I've seen photos from any of those.

24. dale 88

:tiphat: Thanks for all of the information , Ridin'High.

25. dale 88

[​IMG]
    The caption reads "7 year old Gladys Knight meets her idol. 1957."

George C., aza14782, coleman and 3 others like this.