Game of Thrones Season Six! April 24th 2016!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's a good call.
    maybe the groundwork for a necessary alliance down the road considering what Westeros will be facing in the end game, also not that much of a stretch considering Jaime at heart wants to do good. I imagine Daenerys will go back to Meereen to begin fully preparing. It will probably be her, Bron, Jon and maybe Tyrion that are the game changers in the end. Warging into the dragons was an idea I saw in the other GOT thread here, and they mentioned that Tyrion may have that ability. Between Bron's ability to see the past and the future and the idea of directing dragons to cook white walkers and such, is likely a good scenario to deal with the Night King and his hordes.
    I have to hand it to the writers for getting it right so far this season.
    Really well done.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

YES! And, just like the dinner scene at Castle Black, I can't help but think of that"Breaking Bad" dinner scene, when Jesse says, "These are some great green beans, Mrs. White!"

3. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Daenerys mentions 3 dragon riders. It never occurred to me that the other 2 dragon riders could very well be Tyrion, Jon, or even Bran. As for Arya, I can't imagine what her next move will be. I figured that she wouldn't go through with the assassination and that she would have a change of heart. Now she knows she needs to get the hell out of dodge before she's killed. I do forsee her getting on a ship back to Westoros and maybe joining up with Jon, but at this point who knows. I don't think she has any idea what happened to Winterfell or that the Stark's are no longer wardens of the north.

ubiknik likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

4 EPISODES LEFT?!?!?!
    That's some bull-$#%&, there!

In other news, I'm surprised no one else is all that enthused by the fact that "LOST" director Jack Bender has really made a mark on the show!
    It's been moving quite differently, in these past episodes. AND, there are some familiar 'shots' for us "LOST"-lovers!

rswitzer likes this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

So Daenerys needs 1000 ships to get her horde across the sea. Didn't someone else, in the last episode, run off with a fleet of ships? And the guy they're running from, didn't he say he was going to build 1000 ships?

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Pure coincidence of course. :whistle:

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

This season has really picked up and has not disappointed me! I'm getting into it as much as I did the first season.

neo123 likes this.
  8. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

So Arya decides she will not be killing the nice actress after poisoning her rum. The waif sees. Now there's a hit on Arya. But she has needle. Probably it'll be the waif's face on the walls of the faceless men.

Benjen rides north of the wall early on. Gets stabbed by a White Walker. Gets saved by the Children of the Forest with obsidian in the heart. Preventing him from completely turning him into a Wight. Evidently, it'll both turn you into a White Walker...or save you from one. Now he's Coldhands. A warrior for the Three Eyed Raven.

Another mention of the Brotherhood Without Banners (Walder Frey). They can bring the dead back to life. LSH anyone?

Sam. Nice Sam. Goes home and is welcomed with scorn. He's ordered to leave and not come back. So he takes a knick knack. His father probably won't notice.

Another really good episode. It seems like a letdown after the emotional The Door, but it advances the plot forward. I like where this is going.

vince likes this.
  9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. Same here. This season, right now, is my 2nd favorite season after the first. It could even surpass it; time will tell.

10. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Not sure what use that Valyrian steel sword will be for Sam at the Citadel. I guess the same goes for Gilly & son. Perhaps his plans have changed . . .

11. misterdecibel

I think maybe Samwell recognizes the value of Valyrian steel for fighting White Walkers.

rswitzer likes this.
  12. misterdecibel

Lotta exposition in that scene...

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think Jon's & Bran's ability to be able to 'warg' (Arya has this ability, too) will play into the dragon scenario somehow. The more I think about it, I can't see Tyrion being a dragon rider, but he will play into the some aspect with the dragons. I'm just not sure what.

I thought the whole play of the actors doing their thing over in Braavos kind of was drug out too long. Yes, it was a chance for Arya to get to see the events for herself, but it was still pretty boring. So with all this build up with Arya and the House of Black and White and the Faceless Men story, she just abandons it? I guess it was a way to get her out of Westeros and a chance for the viewers to explore another part of Martin's world.

I find some of what's going on to be a bit rushed and other things dragging on a bit. One thing, though, at least the show moves with purpose whereas Martin's storylines for the last two books have meandered (to be kind) in a big way.

GentleSenator and Deesky like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The thing is, they haven't done anything to establish this for Jon and Arya on the show, that I can remember. It's only in the books.

I think the experience gives her more skills to go back to Westeros and be a little bad-ass. And shows her that she has more humanity left than she might have believed at the end of all her trials before she sailed away.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

People do their best to ruin this show for those of us who don't read the books.

I don't want to know in advance that Jon and Arya can warg.

Is there a way to say this so that people won't post spoilers, despite being asked many many times?

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Forgive me, but how is revealing things that have happened in the books but not in the show 'ruining it' for you? Is it ruining your opportunity to read the books post de facto after the show? The books have been out since 1996 and the last one dropped 5 years ago. I tell you, if you read the books after watching the show, most of the books will be spoiled for you. That said, if it's people revealing things in the books that have not even been established once in the show I cannot see how that 'ruins' the story for you, either. If anything, it might give a tad bit more perspective on things if they do happen.

I'll be more mindful of the using the spoiler tag, but I don't quite understand the outrage here and, by the way, you're really the only one I've seen that complains about this in the thread.

17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm not interested in reading the books.

I'm also not interested in finding out what's happened in the books that hasn't happened on the show yet.

To me, that's a spoiler of something that may be coming.

Knowing that Arya has the ability to warg isn't something I wish to know in advance of that development occuring on the show. Knowing she has that capability will spoil the surprise of it happening if/when it happens on the show.

Also, knowing there's another entire thread that happily allows this type of discussion, yet continuing to post this type of information here without spoiler tags doesn't make sense.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Fair enough. As I said I will be more mindful of using the tags if I post in this thread in the future.

Aggie87 likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

If it seems like they have dropped some aspect of the books from the show, then it's hard for me to think of that as a spoiler or off limits for discussion, as it doesn't exist onscreen. Is it a spoiler to say that in the books Jojen doesn't die getting Bran to the tree? He's dead on the show so what difference does it make?

However, we have to keep in mind that they sometimes introduce elements from the novels later in the series. Coldhands (aka Uncle Benjen) is a perfect example -- in the books that character met Bran earlier, when he first crossed over into the North, and helped him get to the Three Eyed Raven. So talking or speculating about him (which I'm sure someone did) in the assumption that he wasn't going to be in the series could have spoiled his eventual arrival onscreen (although whether he's Bran's uncle hasn't actually been revealed in print yet.... But most people assume he is so it would probably have come up).

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

THERE CAN'T BE A SPOILER, fer cryin' out loud -one would have to be privy to actual script
    There can't be a spoiler, fer cryin' out loud -one would have to be privy to an actual script -the story in the show is different than in the books and also beyond the published works, so there is no roadmap for what will happen other than SPECULATION.
    Did anyone notice that Benjen said to Bran that he (Bran) saw how they started it all, in answer to Bron asking him how they saved him.
    Benjen knew what Bron had seen, or been told what he saw... -or assumed because of his tutoring by the 3ER what he would have seen?

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Stating something that happens in the books that hasn't been shown in the television show is a spoiler.

The other thread is for that discussion.

Is it really that difficult to understand and respect the wishes of those who haven't read and don't want to know what happens in the books?

This is becoming so miserable (and ruining the discussion of the actual tv show).

You guys agree to use spoiler tags and that lasts for 2-3 days, then it all starts again.

jriems, Rufus McDufus and GodShifter like this.
  22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The idea of Danerys hooking up with Euron fills me with disgust. I hope whatever alliance is there is short-lived.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I can respect your feelings and will do my best to use spoiler tags if I post in here again.

24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I haven't read the books and I kind of just ignore some of those things that seem to bubble up from them, like who has the warg ability and who doesn't. If curiosity gets the better of me then I can look into it. I think the problem is that most of what has been published has been for the most part put into the show, but what has been skinned out and what background was left out of the start of the (show) story does seem to help a lot in just understanding the story.
    I often wonder about some of the things I read as far as whether they come from an outline that Martin wrote or were they from the books, etc. I was reading in a spoiler/speculative GOT thread before this episode and someone said that Gilly was sure to spill the beans about Sam killing the white walker to his father. They said that based on the character's nature as observed and it struck me as making sense that she would. When she really spilled the beans to his father I just thought how well that person pegged it.
    With a story this complex and all over the place, I have noticed that even people who have read the books can only speculate where it's going.
    If I think I am somehow posting a spoiler of future show events based on what came from the book, then I will use the tag, but I just don't get at all how healthy speculation 'ruins' the discussion of the show, it seems to me we need all the help we can get to be in the moment with the show and that is furthered by what knowledge is shared.
    So maybe some people other than Bran warg in the book, and maybe we know who those characters are. The fact of knowing doesn't change that in the show so far it is completely different, and when and if warging happens with another character in the show, it will be a surprise for those that know about that and those that don't.
    The story in the show is different than the book, I'm sure the books are good and in the end the show will be perceived as a great effort to recreate all that, I just can't wrap my mind around how the unique experience of observing both (show changing & surpassing book timeline and new book about to drop) as they play out, I don't see how it is miserable, and I don't think people are hellbent on spoiling for others, -I just think it is the nature of the beast that propels it all.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    ex_mixer and Rubber65 like this.
  25. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Arya Stark - all that fuss for nothing...

I have regrets for this show. I think it would have been much better concentrating on half the characters, getting rid of the teen stories and focusing on the fights, betrayals of a handful of strong characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.