Oppo 105D with Modwright Modification

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

Yeah I made a mistake. I thought you meant would the dac be improved. The other guy above posted correctly that while the dac won't change, performance will as it the files will obviously use the new upgrades in the modwright oppo.

2. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Although I have no hard info on what DAC the next gen Oppo will use, it would follow that they are designing around the latest ESS Sabre DAC or some other DAC newer than the 9028.
    That alone is prompting me to bide my time.
    IMO, the stock 95 was a huge leap in SQ over the 83 and while the 105 has an improved SQ over the 95 the main difference is the build quality and overall design.

tmtomh and Linger63 like this.
  3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

This statement is not entirely true, the 105 base model supports DSD 64 over network streaming (if that is what you meant). I hard wire my OPPO via Ethernet as the wireless doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream DSD without some jitter from time to time (OPPO PLEASE come out with a faster wireless adapter!).

I also took the plunge and acquired a PlayStation 3 that was made to rip SACDs...if you have a large collection, this is worth every penny... I can stream all of my DSD and FLAC files directly from my Synology NAS using my iPad or iPhone as a controller...very slick.

So I may take the plunge on a Mod but I just haven't decided if I want to really go all the way with a tube upgrade or if there is a solid state equivalent that gets close...someone convince me to burn a hole n my pocket! lol

4. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

How about info on the modded PS# ? I had some from a guy who did them, but cannot fine it. THOUGH, I truly enjoy playing all my Hard media, and I have some of all. I have very little on a hard drive to actually use the USB, BUT I put more on there all the time including downloaded DSD.

5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I am lucky enough to have a local guy in SoCal who does these mods at a pretty decent cost. Got mine for $160 from what I recall....the problem is finding a model with 3.55 firmware or lower if you want to do this yourself. Otherwise, you need to flash the memory (or something to that effect) with tools and a skilled hand (both of which I don't posses) and downgrade the firmware. I am a computer guy but this is even outside my pay grade...if you can get one that works (also note they can die easily from overheating) then you will need LOTs of free storage as the files are 2-3 GB each and you most likely will want to keep a backup of the ISO file and the DSD/DSF files to play...so in reality you need 5-6GB per disk to keep somewhere. I really dislike physical media so this I my perfect solution...sorry to go a bit off topic.

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

7. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

Get the modwright mod along with bybee rail and the pulse mod.

It's so damn good. Most killer front end I've heard in years. Especially with the upgraded tubed.

8. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

Here's mine with the upgraded tubes

[​IMG]

Manimal, IanL, pscreed and 4 others like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I have used the DAC playing stereo files from my computer on the modded Oppo. It sounds just as good as when playing stereo discs.

10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

What does it cost and how long does it take? Yes I know I could look it up

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

How so? I wrote "105(D) adds support for DSD64 and DSD128 on the USB DAC input". Bolded for emphasis. What I wrote is entirely true.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Lovely setup.

IAMBLEST likes this.
  13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I added a caveat "DSD 64 over network streaming (if that is what you meant)." and obviously it wasn't what you meant, so we are both correct.

14. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I have the 105 piped right into tube monoblocks to pretty good results. Did you have your 105 for a period of time and were able
    to realize the difference in sound before/after? I'm curious to know if the mod upgrade is really worth it or do I put my money
    for my next purchse into the next Oppo or equal or even better.....??

15. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

On the audio setup menu what do people choose DSD, PCM or Auto?

16. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

In your systems case...........DSD.........

Don't forget to turn "HDMI Audio" off........... if HDMI is connected anywhere.

OPPO players and the fabled DSD format - OPPO Digital Australia »

You can also just switch between DSD and PCM on the fly and pick the winner!!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Tom Adams likes this.
  17. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I think on top of the oppo, it ends up being around $3k+ usd? That's with all available upgrades. Dan made mine in about a week once the money was wired into his account.

18. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I have heard a stock 105 and it is fine. I bought my OPPO and shipped it directly to Dan and he did the mods for me.

The modwright 105 is night and day difference to the stock model. It's incredible how tight the bass is and how thick the sound is now.

After about 100 hours or so i changed to the Philips 5R4GYS Rectifier and Sophia 6sn7 tubes.

Again, the difference to the stock tubes was just astounding.

When i cranked dire straits money for nothing on sacd the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I got goosebumps.

It's totally worth the money imo. I'm not using mine as a bluray video player, just music only. It also plays literally every digital format so you are safe there.

IanL likes this.
  19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That looks awesome.

Manimal and IAMBLEST like this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Next time, try it with the MFSL version. The 5.1 SACD is :( Even in stereo.

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Speaking of "equal or better"....is there such a device that can do all the OPPO 105 can do? I've looked but cannot find this unicorn...I use mine primarily as a media server player...and the Roku feature is awesome but if a newer player doesn't have it then I can easily buy a stand alone device. I am strictly two channel too...so paying for multichannel upgrades isn't something I would want to do unless people think it will help future resale of the item.

Am I the only one who doesn't have enough rack space to devote to this upgraded player? With the tubes on top...I cant stack it...the power supply will require careful placement somewhere else...it will provide a bit of a logistical issue for my setup. Minor quibbles, I know but an issue nonetheless for me.

22. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I don't have this version. The Japanese sacd I have sounds fine to me. I'm not going to buy another version of the same album for a slight increase in sound quality.

23. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I didn't have enough rack space. I got a custom stand built for it. With the upgraded tubes you need a lot of room.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I like the look of your custom stand. Obviously, you are young enough to still want to bend that far to insert a disc.;)

25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Maybe IAMBLEST has an Oompa Loompa disc loader.

Doug_B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.