Bands that sound much heavier live?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRD, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parker Drew

Parker Drew Forum Resident

The Guess Who circa 1972

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I always felt as though Bad Company's album "Straight Shooter" sounded anemic. When I finally got to see them live during the 2000s, those songs translated very well in a live setting. They sounded much heavier and were more rockin' than the studio versions. Bad Company put on an incredible concert from start to finish and I'm glad they're still out there.

3. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Someone already mentioned Humble Pie but have a listen to this. Heavy in a subtle way. Marriott is on Fire and Frampton when he was a serious guitar rocker was up there with the very best!

4. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

Neil Finn / Crowded House

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yeah, I wasn't a fan and was basically dragged to see that show to accompany a friend, and it was a lot better than I expected. Stevie came out and did her tent city in a hurricane act, then went off stage to inhale stuff and the band got down to business.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  6. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

The 3 bands that come to mind...

1) Courtney Barnett. Saw her last night, and holy hell does she ever rock...punk power-trio style...as opposed to the indie-rock production on her records.
    2) Dinosaur Jr. Their records aren't quiet, but they're more trebly than heavy. Live, they're heavy as all get-out, with Lou Barlow's heavy bass chords holding a much more prominent role.
    3) My Bloody Valentine. They're just much louder live than anything that could ever be put to record. Including their recorded music and everyone else's.

7. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Joy Division

8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The Rolling Stones from 1969-1978 sounded much heavier to me than their records.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  9. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

If you get the 2009 remaster of the live Still Life as album, from the 1981 Stones tour, you might extend that time frame out a few years. The sound is heavy and the tempos are fast. Compare Shattered on this to the original on Some Girls.

10. oates

oates Forum Resident

The Who's case is, I think, very unusual, because the difference between studio and live was almost conceptually different - not just a case of up-amping and frenzied performance for the latter. From the second album A Quick One, the live and studio Who entities took an almost schizophrenic divergent path. This was partly three instrumentalists compensating for lack of second guitars, keyboards, and brass, but also the The Who live set through the late 1960s developed with different songs that had no studio counterparts. The studio albums had no guitar solos whereas the live set was chock full of them. The massive Live At Leeds era distortion levels (on both guitar and bass) were carefully avoided in the studio. I haven't done any comparisons, but The Who must be one of few big name touring acts of which there are dozens of songs from hit albums that were never played live.

squittolo and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Certainly my first thought. As someone born after their prime, I didn't quite get why they were considered a top tier legendary band until I heard that album and then I'm like "oh damn they kicked butt ok I get it" and became a fan.

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

You're probably gonna laugh (assuming you even remember who I'm talking about), but... Trixter.

I graduated from high school with their guitarist, Steve Brown. At the time they were doing the local club circuit and recording demos. Nice guy, we used to chit chat about bands - early Van Halen, Def Leppard, Stryper, etc. - during homeroom but I never really cared for his band too much - my tastes were gravitating towards heavier stuff at the time and Trixter was too light weight/Bon Jovi for me.

Still, I rooted for'em when they got signed shortly after high school and they started getting play on MTV ("Give It To Me Good") - cuz they were local boys and Steve was a good dude. I bought their first album to show my support, but never listened to it much.

I happened to catch them live twice - once opening for the Scorpions in early '91 and again opening for KISS while they were supporting their 2nd album ("Hear!") in late '92. Both times I was very impressed with how much better they were live than on record - not as glossy, and yes, heavier. I've talked to people who've seen them in recent years (they still release records and gig occasionally) and by all acounts they're still a very tight entertaining live band.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  13. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Frusciante gave new life to a number of rather lackluster songs off of By the Way and Stadium Arcadium in a live setting. Way heavier than the albums.

14. Ironically, Pink Floyd 1967-1981. On record they are very concise, live it was often a loud and heavy clashing free-for-all. To me, that's how it should be

squittolo likes this.
  15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Fleetwood Mac

I saw them in 2013 (I think) and they were LOUD, but sounded great. John McVie's bass was thumping that entire arena. I hadn't heard bass like that since I saw Metallica back in the days when Cliff Burton was still with us. Completely unexpected.

16. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

This is just one example of a live Fleetwood Mac song that just shreds the original studio version. Not even close.

Duke Fame likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.