New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's incomplete.

2. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Frankly, I've never been impressed with any of the Tower pressings of the first 3 releases. I'd suspect the situation is about on par with the Beatles Capitol vs. EMI releases of the time. That is to say, I'd bet the UK's all smoke the US versions, and I bet these reissues will too.

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I know packaging isn't the end all be all.. but what the heck is up with the flipbacks that aren't flipbacks? I mean.. let's make them look like the original UK versions, but lets skimp on it and just give people the seemingly visual idea they are flipbacks..

It's not like the printing presses don't have the ability to do this.. even if you skip that other big British band... a few of the Parlophone RSD releases have the flipbacks.

Pancat likes this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And all of those Parlophone RSD releases were manufactured in the UK. It's possible only the US pressings of the Floyd catalogue won't have the real flipbacks.

5. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

That would be such a boneheaded move. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth on this forum if that's the case? (Myself included - I ordered from Deep Discount!)

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I agree, it's silly, considering all those recent Parlophone flipbacks and the Beatles monos.

But it's not a dealbeaker for me.

7. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Thanks Ben, thats good to know. So summary right now:
    1. Aussie Nice Pair uses UK stampers sent to Australia for local pressing of Piper and Saucerful. The original pressing runs would have been pretty small I imagine and stampers were still in good condition for the Nice Pair re-issue. If you have this one you are set.
    2. US Nice Pair is compiled from different tapes held by Capitol. Anecdotally, sound quality is not the best. An upgrade is warranted.
    3. UK version. TBC. Were the original stampers used or were fresh lacquers cut? If so, did they use the original stereo tapes? Does anyone have info on this?

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

How so?

I'd heard that the US Tower pressings were pretty good. What?

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I guess I'm in the minority... but I just hope the US pressings are flat, scratch free, and sound great...

10. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I'm not saying they're bad but the Towers just seem kind of uninspired to me-- better than the later Harvest/Capitol reissues, sure, but not as good as the UK's that I've heard. In the end, it just comes down to the right synergy between the source material and the mastering. On those counts, it should be real interesting to compare them to these new issues.

11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I think the reissues should just follow the way it was done originally in the country they were released.
    If the US versions are replicas of the original US versions, i have zero issues with that personally.

12. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Even the Mini cd lp jackets had the real flipbacks.Well at least the first wave that came out in the 90s did not sure about the 1000 reissues.

13. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

UK editions. Hard to see if these are real flips:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

But Piper was retitled and had three songs removed in the USA....

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Three songs were removed from the US version.

16. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

"See Emily Play" is an excellent song, but so is "Astronomy Domine". Hard to justify seeing the latter being replaced on the US version.

17. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I have a 3rd pressing Piper and a second pressing Saucer, both brown label Towers. I love them, but am kind of looking forward to retiring them with the new ones.

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

19. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Can anyone please tell me if The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Division Bell are included in this campaign? It drives me mad not knowing that.

20. The promotional video posted earlier in this thread (which is now gone), taken from the Pink Floyd Facebook page, showed all of the studio albums as part of this reissue campaign.

21. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Even Lord Sitar had "flip-backs":tiphat:

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Yes.

TDB & TER - The same 2014 2LP versions
    TDSOTM, WYWH & TW - New cuts by Grundman

SergioRZ likes this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh:

24. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

What do you mean? The Division Bell won't be reissued?