Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think Kick and X had much filler on them (especially Kick). I wouldn't say the same for the rest though.

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'm planning on cleaning a bunch of records today, I'll put this one in the pile and give it another listen. What's annoying me is I had Kick, Listen Like Thieves and Shabooh on vinyl also and can't find them. This thread is making me want to give them another shot

dee likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They had a few good tunes, but average 80s pop band with pin-up singer does not a legend make.

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. Sondek

This thread had the same effect on me.

5. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Easy to forget INXS rivaled U2 in terms of super stardom in the late 80s. They both released pivotal lps in '87(Kick + JT). Kick spawned 4 us top 10 singles including #1 Need u tonight.

tkl7, dee and Sondek like this.
  6. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

rbp and Mylene like this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Listening now after cleaning. It's better than I remember. Seems to vary from track to track. Kind of thin and over produced in that 80's way overall though. Digging the tunes this time at least...

On a side note, how do I upload pictures? Can't figure it out

8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just ordered the Mofi pressing of Listen Like Thieves, if you guys are interested I'll let you know how it is in a few days

dee and Sondek like this.
  9. Sondek

10. Sondek

I think you'd like his solo album. I'm only two tracks in, and the second track is very good in particular. I've also heard the track from it called Slide Away (feat Bono), and that one alone had me putting it in my shopping basket on Discogs.

Miriam, Mylene and 905 like this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

12. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

It is quite obvious now all these years later......Michael was an exceptional front-man/
    lead-singer.

Buda, Sondek, dee and 1 other person like this.
  14. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'd pretty much forgotten about him till this thread came up...

15. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

INXS were likely perceived in the US as a mostly faceless band (michael hutchence notwithstanding) without a very distinctive sound/musical contribution. When the hits dried up, so did much of their US fanbase.

A band that had a shorter career, nor quite a big- Warrant- also had a similar number of hit records (dirty rotten, cherry pie, dog... 10, 7, 25 vs. thieves, kick, x, welcome... 11, 3, 5, 16) over about the same period as INXS. Warrant hasn't gotten a bump in awareness from their lead singer's passing, for likely similar reasons.

16. Sondek

Warrant were a terrible group. What similar reasons do you mean?

Man at C&A, black sheriff and Planbee like this.
  17. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Most bands are faceless except for the bloke at the mike. Doors = Jim + 3 squares; Nirvana = Kurt + 2 dudes; Queen = Freddie + 3 straight guys.

Not quite getting the Warrant analogy either - and not sure that I want to!

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All the members dated supermodels. They probably all thought they were Superstars.

19. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I'm suggesting that, to the US public, INXS was a group of six largely faceless guys. Bands like Toto, Boston, Foreigner, REM, Warrant and others spring to mind. For whatever reason-charisma, distinctiveness, quality, scandal, whatever - Hutchence likely wasn't in the same iconic class in the US as the one's mentioned in this thread.

20. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Faceless and not having a lasting, distinctive musical impact.

21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Hutchence/InXS were a great band with a large fan base and notable achievements (but not to my taste).
    They were definitely representative of their time, but they were hardly innovative. They certainly don't deserve to be forgotten. They don't deserve to be remembered as something they were not.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You think INXS and REM were as faceless as Boston or Toto?!

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

INXS was one of those bands that just couldn't transition into the 90's. And if you can't adapt, your career suffers.

On the flip side of that, a lot of their singles are still in rotation on 80's "retro" radio stations today which is more than I can say for a lot of 80's acts, so...

24. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Not forgotten by me. I love INXS & Max Q. I still play them regularly.

I've not listened to a single thing they've done with other singers since Hutchence passed-on though. I always thought that was a pretty rubbish thing to do. The only dignified way for a band to continue after the singer has died is to do it the New Order way.

25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Warrant had a few hits but they were nowhere near the level of INXS in the US. People drag out Billboard numbers like they're the Dead Sea Scrolls or something, but chart numbers never really tell the whole story. INXS had a steady stream of hits from the early 80s on, and by the time Kick came out they were huge. That was definitely one of the big albums that year, and they were on MTV constantly. Tour was big too, in NYC they did three nights at Radio City and one night at the Garden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.