Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

The more I think of it, the more I am fascinated by Simon Pegg's question and Paul's answer: In the new BBC interview, Simon Pegg asked: "Songwriting is very personal and you strike me as a private man. Do you ever feel there is a challenge about giving too much away?"

And Paul replied: "I’m quite private and don’t like to give too much away. Why should people know my innermost thoughts? But a song is the place to put them.

And there, in one short quote, Paul conveys a major difference between him and John Lennon. John would have said: "Why wouldn't people be interested in my innermost thoughts? Here let me share them with you right now." Perhaps therein lies the yin-yang that made their partnership so mutually beneficial -- John pushing for the deeply personal and Paul pushing back for the universal, and getting the best of both worlds. And it also instantly explains why the press (and many fans) gravitated so naturally to John in the celebrity culture that has only become more dominant since Elvis and the Beatles. It was Paul's bad luck that the musical era into which he emerged was starving for the innermost thoughts of singer-songwriters and put more value on that over privacy and universality. After all, no one chased after the Gershwins or Cole Porter asking about their relationship with their mothers. Just interesting food for thought. And a very revealing comment for Paul, I think.

DrBeatle and theMess like this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I have to disagree with you. The two questions that led to him reaching for the guitar were, IMO, clearly set ups. Yes, there were some questions he wasn't anticipating thrown at him, but, again IMO, they were intermingled with softball questions that were setups for the usual stories (could the question regarding "Here Today" have been any more obvious in that regard? The announcer was practically using Paul's introduction for the song!)

3. groff

groff Forum Resident

A cute story from the mayor of Sioux Falls

Mayor Huether on meeting Paul McCartney: 'I was starstruck'
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:30 p.m. by Greg Belfrage

Thousands of excited fans packed the Sanford Premiere Center recently to watch Paul McCartney's first ever performance in South Dakota.

Mayor Mike Huether and his wife Cindy were among the fortunate who had a chance to meet McCartney personally prior to the concert.

Huether relayed the story to me this morning, clearly still excited by his brush with a global musical legend.

"I was feeling all confident and I'm so excited... I walked up there (to McCartney) and my chest was out," Huether said.

"I said, 'Sir Paul, welcome to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I'm Mayor Mike Huether.' And he said something like, 'Hey, I hear you're a cool dude, mayor'.

"All of the sudden I just went, "uhhhh, uhhhhh'. I was just in shock. I couldn't say anything. I was so discombobulated. I was star struck," Huether said.

It was Sioux Falls First Lady Cindy Huether who rescued the mayor from his tongue tie dilemma.

"Cindy takes Sir Paul by the hand...and Cindy goes, 'Sir Paul, I just wanted to thank you for coming to Sioux Falls and to South Dakota. You can't imagine just how important this is for our state and for our community and for these fans.'"

Huether was very impressed with McCartney's response.

"Paul looks at Cindy and says, 'When I started performing, I did it for the guitars, the cars, the girls and the money. Now, I do it for the reasons that you just expressed."

Huether said McCartney expressed his love of performing for fans and creating special memories for them.

"And I'm watching this (thinking), 'Why couldn't I do that?'" Huether said. "This is my opportunity to meet Sir Paul McCartney. Why couldn't I be that cool and classy, like Cindy is?"

Despite the momentary lapse, Huether says it was actually more enjoyable for him to watch that special moment between his wife and McCartney.

"He was just wonderful," Huether said.

Mayor Huether on meeting Paul McCartney: 'I was starstruck' »

theMess likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

INSIDE GOSSIP:

Paul's new studio album will be titled: Guitars, Cars, Girls, and Money ... ;)

Zeki, theMess and kevintee like this.
  5. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I pre-ordered it. :D

Zeki likes this.
  6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Finally...a country album!

Zeki and theMess like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Keep dreaming, country dreamer... ;)

JDeanB and theMess like this.
  8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

If it was a country album, it would be Booze, Pickup Truck, Divorced, and Broke.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hey, if McCartney made a country album it'd probably be pretty good- think of McCartney tunes like "Sally G" or "One More Kiss". He could do a lot worse...

Tord, DrBeatle, Johnny Reb and 2 others like this.
  10. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

One of my "country" favorites:

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

That would be about the post-Mucca years, right? :hide::cool:

susyredstripe likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

And of course:

[/QUOTE]

13. WoW! a collaboration with "lyricist", Mike Love. LOL

Beaneydave likes this.
  14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

After all of that, Paul McCartney is still the greatest most successful songwriter in the entire history of popular music!

So who got it right, the idiots who criticized his craft or McCartney?

15. :D:D:D
    This is an expansion of related material from his Beatle and Wing Days :

Monkberry Moon Delight (booze), Two of Us (pickup truck) Gratitude (divorced) and
    You Never Give Me Your Money (broke). LOL

Of course if you blend all these themes together you get : Why Don't We Do It In the Road?

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Zeki likes this.
  16. WOW! What a fabulous post, thank you:

This section of I've Got A Feeling, by Paul, always struck me as a recognition of fate bringing him and John together in the Beatle partnership:

All these years I've been wandering around
    Wondering how come nobody told me
    All that I've been looking for was somebody
    Who looked like you

mark ab and theMess like this.
  17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like that line from I've Got A Feeling, I bet Lennon felt the very same way.

theMess and Paperback Writer like this.
  18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

19. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Surely that's about Linda? Timing wise it feels better. Although I think there is a duality in songs from that era about the beginning of his relationship with Linda and the end of his time with John.

Two of Us clearly has some Linda "driving nowhere etc" and some John "Memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead".

Many of his lyrics from that time seem to hint at that sadness and liberation ("oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go").

Rojo, Paperback Writer and Frank like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Then there is Bip Bop. Perhaps Bip os Paul and Bop is John. That means you can t have a Bip without a Bop.:)

Skywheel and mark ab like this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

He wouldn't even dare to play "Bip Bop" live. He'd be shivering in his pants afraid that the audience would leave for a U2/Springsteeen/Stones stadium concert mearby. ;)

mark ab likes this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love that.

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Do you think that he had a cold, or that he rehearsed too much?

At least he confirmed that he is working on a new album; it won't be long until the next mammoth 'New album' thread will begin. :D

Johnny Reb and mark ab like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Iv witnessed him do Bip Bop live back in 1972. It was pretty good-I guess.

Joao Carlos and theMess like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Is this a Duet album w/ Kanye?

[​IMG]

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.