What cable most influences your systems sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sportzdad, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I voted for speaker cable but agree there shouldn't be any weak links-balanced is the way to go.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  2. missan

missan Forum Resident

No, I meant how are they cumulative.

3. Years ago I was skeptical of pricy cabling, until I met a local Audiophile and collector of audio gear. After we got to know and trust each other, he sent me home with a bunch of RCA and speaker cables but no power cables. I don't remember the names but they were all top brands at the time. WOW, did I became a believer real quick! I loved the MIT wires and hated the stupid looking boxes on them, but what they did for my system was and is something special. Fast forward, a few years, I use mid-level MIT interconnects and speaker cables on most of my gear.

As for power cords, I won't get into that here and just say they are all my power cords are UL approved product and listed for purpose.

4. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

In my system changing the speaker cables made a significant impact. There was a brightness that I didn't like that disappeared. And the cables I use now are far cheaper than the old ones.

5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Speaker Cable.

Mike-48 likes this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Do yourself a favor and try some good power cords, I won't say the first quality power cord you try will impress you but when you find the right match it will make all other cables and interconnects seem insignificant.

MaxxMaxx4, timztunz and Dave like this.
  7. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

I've noticed both significant and insignificant differences from all types of cables. Everything makes a difference.

My experience has been that, in general, lower cost electronics with less sophisticated power supplies, especially digital, benefit the most from power cords. This, I think, is why Nordost does those demonstrations of their power cords' capabilities at audio shows using lower-cost gear that clearly demonstrates the benefits of power cords. That said...no system should be built that way...a $1K CD player with a $5K power cable! Just get a better CDP.

Cables are definitely in the "tweak" category in my opinion, in that they tend to impart a certain character onto a system that already has a "sound". They shouldn't be counted on to correct a problem - that's what equipment changes are for. Cable are kind of the final "cherry" on the cake, to round out a system that's doing what you like already.

To get back to the poll question...I didn't vote, because my answer would be (a) it depends on the system and (b) I've never experimented sufficiently between different quality cables to determine the one that has the most impact, other than to note that some cables just sound "right" and some keep you analyzing and hunting.

JordyG likes this.
  8. Most of my power cords are DIY. The following was done 10 years ago: The male plugs are NOS industrial grade from 70’s and the IEC equipment ends are from PartsExpress.com, the higher grade product. The cables are Carol Cable industrial grade UL approved, extension cord, purchased from Home Depot. Each cord is 5 feet. I bought pairs of 16, 14, 12 and 10 AWG material and spent months matching the best performing cable size to each individual devices. Each size conductor, provided a slightly different sound and presentation. Could I get better performance with remanufactured audiophile type power cords? I am sure I can but what I use is good enough for me.

Tim 2 and sportzdad like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Well done Allyn. I've built and tested cables using similiar methods, but many years ago.
    Eventually I found that the cables dielectric had more to do with imparting a sonic signature than any other aspect. Even a so-called non-reactive shielding had a problem with storing and releasing energy.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  10. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I say all of them.

MaxxMaxx4, quicksilverbudie and Say like this.
  11. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

For me,pre amp to amp interconnect.

12. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

Yes... the ones that worked, worked. The ones that did not, did not. If you are worried about the current coming from your wall outlet, you ought to call an electrician and get your house checked out.

13. Breeze 1

Breeze 1 Member

Not worried about the current coming from the wall.
    Your post contradicts itself.

MaxxMaxx4 and Tim 2 like this.
  14. Say

Say Forum Resident

this pretty much sums up my experience with cables as well. I take a holistic approach where everything matters. Power Cords, Interconnects between components and speaker cables. The only time where I didn't hear a difference was between different gauge ground wire from component(s) to ground.

15. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

Uh... How so?

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Take two parts gullible and one part subjective opinion, that covers most of this stuff usually. :targettiphat:

If people even just adjusted their speaker positions by a few inches and heard the real difference that makes, relative to the minimal differences cables make, we'd need an army of medics to tend to the number of injured jaws that collectively hit the floor in shock.

samid and Schwinnparamount like this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The power cable for sure. When I pull it out, the system volume gets very very quiet and the sound is not good.
    :hide:

PhilBiker, Breeze 1, Dave and 2 others like this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don't know that they "add" in a linear or non-linear manner, but tend to think (IMHO) that it's maybe more of a synergy thing as well. I've tried several speaker and interconnect cables (at a variety of price points and designs (DIY, somewhat exotic, wacky, 'sound' electrical engineered, etc.)). So far the best combo to my ears is what I'm using now ... which, admittedly is the most expensive (MSRP anyway) of each that I've tried. Oh well.

I've only tried two 'aftermarket' power cords. The first ... can't remember what it is/was exactly but was inexpensive (~$50), didn't make a discernable difference. The second (Shunyata Venom 3, 'demo' $100/$150) made quite a difference used with my then new preamp. The ~$400 pair of Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cables (earlier version) and Synergistic Research Looking Glass Phase II interconnects (used, $195/$649) made distinct impressions as well. The Looking Glass ICs are 'active' but I prefer the sound without the bias applied.

Other ICs in my system (White Zombie silver balanced cables, Mogami Gold balanced cables) didn't seem to make an audible difference, but I've kept them in my system anyway.

Breeze 1 likes this.
  19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

there's always the 'since I spent more, must sound better' (a form of bias) argument ... I can't say I'm immune to that but try not to be. Buying things (usually) isn't a financial burden in that I have to delay paying a bill or something in order to get some piece of gear or ancillary component. I have no interest in blind/double blind testing, but do swap things in and out a few times, listening to a particular passage of music containing details etc. that I want to evaluate.

20. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Surprisingly the power cables. Couldn't digest it (I am electronical engineer) but it works...

F1nut likes this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup it does, what else is new ? LOL

MaxxMaxx4 and Breeze 1 like this.
  22. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

The power cable definitely makes a difference. I was skeptical. Then I bought a new Rogue Audio Sphinxs. When I was swapping the new amp for the old, I just used the old amps power cord. Although the Rogue sounded good, there was feeling that something was missing. Then I read the following on Rogue's website.
    "The power cords we supply with our equipment are not the prettiest, but they are of a much better quality than the typical computer power cord. They are shielded (important) and of of a sufficient ampacity to meet the requirements of the specific product they are supplied with. If you decide you want to improve on this, be sure the new cord is shielded and of a very high quality."
    So I swapped cords, and I'll be damned if it didn't make a not so subtle improvement.

F1nut likes this.
  23. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Cartridge Tags

at the front of the chain

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1980 Sansui 'High-Efficiency', black jacketed, 23' long each, speaker cables did the trick for me. I believe they were for sale in 'Japan Only'. Never heard of anyone who has a pair where they didn't originate from the Japanese 'only' market.

Liked them so much I bought a second backup pair which were buy luck NOS.

Just saying - noticeably better sound. Don't know what it is but... Something is happening. :)

Hardly anyone even knows they exist. 99.99% copper, multi-shielded jackets, designed like broadcasting cables of the era.

Hard to find but not impossible. A pair comes up for sale every 1.3 years on average internationally. Maybe every 2.5 years in the USA.

Works for me.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  25. John-G

John-G Forum Resident

instead of reading reviews I decided to go out and buy cable to see if it made a difference and its a massive difference on my system and its not in my head. before everything was punchy and then i decided to go out and buy myself silver coated power cables and also a silver coated wall outlet or power socket and a silver coated extension lead and now it sounds wider and more high end treble and before it had more punch low end bass and that was just you usualy cheap extension and power sockets you normaly get. next will be power cable but Im thinking of going for pure silver, but just the power sockets has changed the sound significantly. my amp is a tube amp and a tube cd player im using but the sound has definitely changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.