Derek & The Dominos -In Concert Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicdav24, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Just curious if anyone might know if tbe live Derek & The Dominos album "In Concert" is a pure live recording or does it contain lots of overdubs and fixes? Thanks so much!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It is a live recording with no overdubs. From what I have read, they did not know they were being recorded.

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This LP kills.

Since I got my first copy at age 13 it has been in heavy rotation.

4. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Like it better than the "Live at the Fillmore" that came out some years later? (some of the same stuff)

bluemooze, ARK, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well the re-release (from 94) has all that and more but iirc some of the cuts are from the other night in that stand.

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

All d and the d live and studio is essential listening. As coincidence would have it, I just imported THE LOST TAPES into my iTunes library last night. A 6 cd boot set that has tons of studio out takes, including unreleased second album, the radle tapes, jam sessions (some released on the 20th anniversary box set, but many unreleased), etc.

7. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

The original vinyl is an amazingly well-recorded album.

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love DEREK & THE DOMINOS IN CONCERT (the original) ... just a great warts 'n all live set.

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

One of my favorite live albums ever. I scored a NM first press promo copy several months ago for just $15 ( God Bless Freakbeat Records!).

Chemguy, rxcory, Rickchick and 4 others like this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

When I listen to this record I get the sense plays more in this set then I will play in a year, he's a workhorse

11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Whitlock.
    As much as I love this period of Clapton's playing. And there is much to love. He's passionate about his own music during these years. And it shows.

It's all about Bobby Whitlock for me.

12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Got To Get Better In A Little While is just flat out a killer live recording between EC soloing and the steady hammering on the keys with a little wah wah pedal for flavor.......a shm sacd of this would be welcome at this house!!:bdance:

13. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I've been a big fan of D&D for ages - one of my favorite periods for Eric. I've got a bunch Derek concerts and there's always something to love. It's a pity that there don't seem to be any soundboards other than Fillmore East.

14. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I got a original ticket stub.

15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Saw them live, in Croydon UK is this the gig we are taking about.

perplexed and footlooseman like this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

They were a great example of how Clapton does better with other equals in the band.

17. Further

Further Forum Resident

The original In Concert album is where it's at. One only needs to listen to Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad to know why. Unbelievable playing. This is Clapton at his best, even though personally he was at his worst. That's most likely why this album just drips with passion. It's a pure dose and the real deal, straight from his soul to the audience and thank God there was tape running for these shows.

I think they were the best band he was ever a part of. I mean listen to Jim Gordon's drumming and how tuned in he is to what everyone is playing. At times, just as much of a call and response with Clapton as Clapton and Bobby Whitlock. Let's not forget Carl Radle. Wow, what a unit. One of the best things about listening to In Concert is how locked in to eachother they are.

I sure wish they could find the missing multitracks from that run and put out a box set, not to mention, where is the lost house film of these shows. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

One of my favourite albums, ever. Period.

bluejimbop, limoges, dzjc and 23 others like this.
  18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

This thread got me to pull mine out. The album, that is. Forgot it was a Polydor UK black label. What is the preferred vinyl pressing for "In Concert"?

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I bought a nice 2lp off these very forums and I still don't know how this one got past me until recently. Incredible live album.

Rickchick likes this.
  20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Yep, Clapton & Band is on fire . . . One of his best performances . . . Why they replaced that version with the weaker one on "Fillmore" is a great mystery

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Oh s***, yeah. Excellent album.

Still spin my '72 Richmond RSO from time to time. Really couldn't be bothered with the CD, although I wouldn't mind getting it provided it hasn't been futzed with too much.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Well said, man!! :righton::righton:

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Good question. Going by old threads that have been closed, the original AT/GP pressing seems to be a favorite. Has anyone compared that with an original German pressing?

24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I don't have this and would like to get it on CD. What CD/CDs should I be looking for that will be affordable and have as much of the concert as has been released officially?

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would like to know the best CD version of Derek & The Dominos In Concert as well. Something that is affordable as you mentioned also :).

Bill

Last edited: May 31, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.