Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I don't, sorry (I've never seen PR :hide:), but Kirk, Damon and Tony are all in it, apparently, as dancers at some point.

2. bunglejerry

I remember a lot of talk in this thread about what if Prince had done MTV unplugged and that Musicology-era clip where he does "Proud Mary" and "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man", but as I'm out there excavating live performances that are new to me, it turns out that in 2002 the man did something like that, a full 50 minute acoustic set at Paisley Park as part of the Xenophobia series. This is the set list, and recordings exist "out there". He does a great version of "7", which I recommend to @Grant, who has an all-abiding love for that song.

It's a pretty cool performance, nice to hear.

enro99 likes this.
  3. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

Kirk was seen up in the "balcony " in the bar...I don't think he had any spoken lines...
    I THINK I have this right ..

Mal and Dflow like this.
  4. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

Not trying to be a jerk here or anything, but why have you never seen 'Purple Rain', mate ? Just curious...

5. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

Cubbiegirl - I posted this on a Clash board on May 2nd. I'd never seen the video before even though I worked on it at Paisley. It keeps getting taken down from YouTube (probably as it's official). Anyway, here's my story...

I was on the video shoot at Paisley for one of the 'Emancipation' singles ("Betcha By Golly Wow", the old Stylistics tune, maybe?), and it was funny: Prince is in his stage get-up, heels and all, walking around giving orders to all these tough ass Norheast Mpls. biker looking hands. The dude had a really loud voice when he needed to, just like any other guy on the job. Everyone had complete respect for him as he was a total pro and was into the work, not some prima donna rock star.

Anyway, we're shooting in the A-stage room, and I'm standing just outside the entrance behind the big black dubiteen curtains to block natural light for the lamps and cameras. There was about an inch and a half of light showing through at the bottom. Suddenly the the tape stops, there's a bunch of yelling and I peek into the room and I see You Know Who, again, looking RIGHT AT ME, and he's pointing and saying stuff to the DP and lead gaffer, and I'm like "oh ****". Dudes start yelling at me: "Loose the light, *****!" I had a few clothes pins in my fanny pack and I'm scrambling to get the curtains pinned together and it's not happening and then I hear His distinctive voice: "C'mon!" I actually shouted back: "Hold on, boss. I got it!" (we were all told, if we had to address him, to just call him "boss")*.
    I sprint a couple yards away and grab four pony clamps from my gig bag, rush back, and clamp that **** together, and throw a couple sandbags on it for good measure. Done. Much relief. The shoot continued. (btw - all the dancers were dressed in black body suits with white question marks on them that glowed in the dark. I don't think I ever saw the video, maybe it got pulled/ Not even sure of the song. Anybody ever see the vid for "Betcha By Golly Wow"?...)

* Our lead man was a guy named Chris 'Floater' Malone, a tough little Paddy from Boston who'd worked on Bruuuce's lighting crew up until 'The River' tour I think. Bruce went to his wedding too. Anyway, Floater refused to call Prince 'Boss').

EDIT: oh yeah, Prince's then-wife Mayte was on set too. She was gorgeous and very pregnant.
    EDIT 2: when a Brit buddy posted the vid for me, I said this:
    Obviously got some of the details back ass-words, like the dancers body suits, and I don't remember the car. But it comes back to me now.

Ya know, I spent most of that day painting props and stage pieces (I remember being kinda pissed off because house painting/construction was my usual work besides stage hand stuff, and I'm thinking '****, here I am out at Paisley, working for one of my musical idols, and I'm ****ing painting!').

6. Cubbiegirl

OMG ! What a cool story !
    Haha " Hold on Boss ...."
    Very cool l I bet you have a lot of cool stories.
    You actually made me feel so much better as they were saying that Mayte had already lost the baby and was made to make that video and I was thinking, surely not !
    She is a beautiful woman .
    Did you get the vibe that many of us get .,,that he was so very much enamored of her and just giddy with her ?
    ( please don't say he was a dick to her lol )

You worked on this video ?
    And yes it's and old Stylistics tune ...

Ha . Just realize they are taking Maytes temperature ...um she's pregnant not sick with the flu lol

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. Wow, seeing this video...it's, unbelievable that he's gone. It just doesn't seem possible at age 57.

Bowieboy, Cubbiegirl and zebop like this.
  8. Cubbiegirl

Ive been enjoying a lot of the old Revolution videos lately and watching this video makes me realize what a huge change he went through between those times ..,

9. Cubbiegirl

I know ...it's been making me cry in my beer !

And that voice ....

zebop likes this.
  10. Cubbiegirl

One more from the " Mayte era " , I love this video...I always chuckle at the courtroom part ....
    "You gave your body 2 another in the name of fun....
    I hope U had some baby , if not boo hoo .."
    Hehe .... I freaking love this one !
    Come back Prince !

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Mal and zebop like this.
  11. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I've never heard this song until a month ago and now it's one of my favorites, period. I forgot he had such a good sense of humor, ha @2:10. Cool video too.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  12. Cubbiegirl

I Loveeee this one , I had forgotten how much I loved this video ...ha ha ..it's great !
    One of my faves too !

zebop likes this.
  13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Have listened to more of his music of late then ever. Loved this one, "Forever in my life" ,but I listened to the CD version. Beautiful and funky!

Cubbiegirl and zebop like this.
  14. Cubbiegirl

Oh, good choice ...love it .. It's like my favorite is always the one that's playing now...
    There's a video of this one in concert ...maybe Lovesexy ?
    Love me some funky Prince !
    Sure gonna miss him .Bonnie kicks some ass too !
    And yet another Prince...dude just kept evolving ...

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    AFOS and zebop like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh I love your sarcasm!

Cubbiegirl and bunglejerry like this.
  16. eileen

eileen Forum Resident

It was. I was at those shows and that night was easily my favorite. There was also a very guitar-heavy show and a mainly piano show, among others. But the acoustic felt... the most special, I guess, and Prince seemed more relaxed and open than usual. I suppose the style left him more room to show this. Piano has a more emotional sound and feel, but just sitting with an acoustic guitar, that's a common and congenial experience.

Mal, Cubbiegirl and bunglejerry like this.
  17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I have been playing this on repeat all day

Mal, azjvm05, IpseDixit and 2 others like this.
  18. bunglejerry

No particular reason. I haven't sought it out, or Under the Cherry Moon or Graffiti Bridge. I might one day, I guess I'm just not that much of a movie person.

Cubbiegirl and Grant like this.
  19. Cubbiegirl

I'm not either ! I've seen Purple Rain, but not the others .Gonna have to check them out ...

20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

21. Cubbiegirl

Mal, Dflow, StevelandJudkins and 2 others like this.
  22. I wish I could like this a million times. Thank you for digging this article up.

Now here's a good bit of Prince's sense of humor:

zebop likes this.
  23. Cubbiegirl

24. It's [Forever In My Life] from the SOTT movie. Best version of the song as that live edition gives it a deep gospel feel.

majorlance and eileen like this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

StevelandJudkins and zen archer like this.