foreigner- unusual heat. why did it flop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

because lou gramm wasn't there? because the rock scene had changed a lot since the bands last album? atlantic didn't promote it right?

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I think that has to be three of the main reasons right there... ;)

Malina and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

I think the main reason is weak songs.

4. Matthew Tate

i don't think thats really true. "only heaven knows" is fantastic. mick jones was always a strong songwriter

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Always is! They weren't selling that well anyway towards the end of their heyday. I always say the public gives most artists and groups three albums. At that point people generally move on. And in Foreigner's case they did. They sure made some great songs though!

6. Matthew Tate

more like they had about 5 albums.

i still think unusual heat is strong. maybe stronger than mick jones solo album, anything gramm did outside of foreigner or mr moonlight

Jimmy Agates and Stephen J like this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It sure got some bad reviews, but maybe that's not surprising considering that an anagram for the title is "Unusual Hate."

8. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I bought Unusual Heat when it was released in 1991. I played it twice, and that was it. The album was just a blunt instrument to me, it was Jones's attempts to make a real Hard Rock record with less pop sheen.

Problem was, he forgot to include the hooks, and the hooks were what made Foreigner great and separated them from a million other guitar-slinging acts out there.

Also, it was ironic that he went in that direction when the major disagreement he and Lou Gramm had in the mid-1980s was Gramm's desire to return to making guitar-rock records while Jones was favoring synth-keyboard ballads.

9. Matthew Tate

gramm had 3 really strong releases while he was away from foreigner. i liked mick jones solo album too. i just think somehow unusual heat is better than those releases or even gramms return mr moonlight

10. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

For my part, I was just disappointed that Gramm and Jones split up and didn't really like anything they did apart.

My opinion then was that if you took the best three songs from Gramm's 1987 debut, Gramm's 1989 follow-up, Jones's 1989 LP, and Unusual Heat, then you'd have a pretty good Foreigner album.

11. Were they dressed in women's clothes for the video?

longaway likes this.
  12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I mean for me the band had already peaked...and no Lou Gramm meant I was not interested anymore...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

no why would they? foreigner never did that

14. Matthew Tate

thoughts on shadowking and the 3 new songs foreigner did with gramm for that early 90's hits release?

15. Just riffing on the very very very long Queen thread regarding their fall from grace:righton:

Wordnat likes this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It wouldn't have mattered if Gramm was there, or even if the songs were a few notches stronger. Virtually no band in that genre was going to have a huge hit in 1991. Chicago, Styx, Bad English, Bad Company, Heart, etc, all struggled as soon as 1990 was over. Radio decided that tastes were changing, and concurrently also decided to stop playing new music by anything now labeled as 'classic rock.' Bad combination for those bands.

17. Matthew Tate

bad company and damn yankees were still going strong in 1992

driverdrummer and impalaboy like this.
  18. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

As was Van Halen.

driverdrummer and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

All of the above.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. walrus

Both bands' albums from that year fared significantly less well than their previous outings. A LOT changed between 1990 and 1992, for better or worse.

A few were immune to this, most notably Van Halen, but they were definitely a minority.

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True. Classic rock radio also dropped "then and now" segues, which were the main way those bands' new albums were getting airplay.

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

No Lou Gramm - no Foreigner. That's really all there was/is to it.

Ed

pocofan likes this.
  23. walrus

I vaguely remember a few of these when I was a kid in the early/mid-90's on the Detroit classic rock station, but it definitely didn't last long, sadly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I saw Foreigner play the Toledo Sports Arena on this tour. They drew a good sized crowd but that was probably because tickets were only $10.04 (a tie in with local rock station FM 104 WIOT). Even though we were skeptical of Foreigner without Lou Gramm, we couldn't resist the cheap tix! I can't remember any song from "Unusual Heat" but we did enjoy the concert. Seeing the band play "I Want To Know What Love Is" live changed my mind about that song. I never liked it at all until that moment and then it finally clicked for me. I've liked the song ever since. Did they do low price ticket promos in other cities as well?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Shadowking is my favourite thing that Lou Gramm has ever been involved in. Great songs and great playing (Vivian Campbell does pretty much his last great work on this album before bailing out to Def Leppard to see out his days playing second fiddle to Phil Collen)

Galley and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.