Proper length for a concert without feeling ripped off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BobGilly, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

15 minutes of Dylan, 90 minutes for everyone else. Baby bands are the best. They cannot do more than an hour or so.

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Even that depends group to group. The Swans play 2 hour sets that contain only 6 songs.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I agree with about 90 mins for a headliner. Seems good.

I did go to see a MC once at a dance club that was billed, sold tickets and was on stage for maybe 15 minutes. That one was pretty lame.

4. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I was rather disappointed at a 1hr/20min Neil Young/Crazy Horse show in '91, but at least he didn't do the 30 minute Down by the River.

5. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

I was at that show! Yes, it was Winter Hours opening, probably the largest venue they ever played. I'm a big Winter Hours fan, and they were excellent, so I didn't mind the shortened Squeeze set too much.

JoeRockhead and JoseUnidos like this.
  6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

It depends. If it's a big card with 4 or 5 or more bands, I don't mind if the headliner plays a little less. Example: I saw Lilith Fair in 1998, and Sarah M played only 6 or 7 songs. But we'd gotten our money's worth all day, so we got over it.

I saw Sarah herself a few months later (with maybe one opening act), and she played for much longer. As I would have expected.

7. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Saw The Smiths in 1984. Felt cheated with 45 minutes. Some years earlier JJ Cale played for 55 minutes and was bold enough to mention the fact in his band introduction - "For the last 55 minutes you have been listening to ......"

Happy with 90 minutes to two hours. Anytime longer is a bonus unless your name is Stevie Wonder.

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The Smiths in 1984 would have had about an hour's worth of recorded material, and that includes b-sides.

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

45 minutes for starting bands, hour and 15 minutes for headline sets.

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

If they have been around for more than 10 years,
    At least 2 hours.

11. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The 1982 Imperial Bedroom tour more than made up for his abrupt 1978 shows. I saw it in New York, with Marshall Crenshaw opening.

HoundsOBurkittsville and qwerty like this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

People tend to forget that that was when they had one or two albums out.

Haha, in todays "value for money" climate even a new band has to do 90 minute shows. People who think like that probably are convinced that large paintings are more valuable/ expensive than small ones;)

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

98.6 minutes

14. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I wouldn't expect a new band with a lack of material to play for two hours, but I would feel a bit short changed if a long-running band only played for 60-90 minutes.

15. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I saw Diana Ross a couple of months ago...she performed not quite an hour total. What she did was great, but for the $$....I expected more....too much left out...

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

You could have been at a racetrack "Blue Notes" tour show that ran nearly 2 1/2 hours with an interminable "Tonight's The Night"!

JoeRockhead and Brother Maynard like this.
  17. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

depends on price. . . fix the question please.

18. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Duration of a gig is never a decision maker to me. The concert is either good or it's not.

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis once. 45 minutes total ...

... but wait, around half an hour was intro and outro without Jerry. So i got net 15 minutes with the Killer. Did I feel ripped off? Not really. Would I have wished to hear more. Certainly.

Tanx likes this.
  19. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

90 minutes for club show headliners, 105 minutes for arena headliners. I give a little exception to Napalm Death or other groups with really short songs and go down to 70 minutes for them, these type groups always play clubs anyway. Co-headlining is a popular thing for club shows now but those always go down to about 70 minutes each which I can live with.

20. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Tell that to the kids today. They won't believe you.

edenofflowers likes this.
  21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

90 minutes is an absolute minimum for a headliner for me. Anything less than that and I will likely be going home a little disappointed. Conversely, I will usually go home feeling I got my money's worth with headliners that do at least 2 hr shows. I don't think I've seen many headliners that didn't even do a 90 minute show though.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I saw the Stones in 1973. 14 songs, about 75 minutes, no encore. Greatest show I've ever seen.

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

You reminded me--Jerry Lee was one of my shortest shows, too. I think it was a shade under an hour. No into and outro, though. In fact, he stalked onstage before the announcer could even give him an intro. Man, he was ornery that night!

24. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

An hour or so if they're not playing their latest album in its entirety.

25. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

two different shows
    Gnod 40 minutes
    Charlemagne Palestine over 8 hours
    both were perfect moments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.