Question About Careless LP Packaging From eBay Seller

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Leviethan, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wrong. As I said twice before, I did not cut through the bubble wrap, it wasn't covering the entire surface of the record. It was also the really thin type of bubble wrap. No protection for the record at all. Also, I never said that I cut through cardboard, I cut the tape between the two cardboard flaps. The knife went in a fraction of an inch and gouged the record because it was practically touching the sticky side of the packing tape. There is no justification for the seller doing that, it's just plain careless. If any of you guys lecturing me on proper LP box opening saw this guy's packing job, you would be appalled. I was alarmed BEFORE I even pulled the record out.

I agree that eBay probably won't side with me, but I'm going through with the case. I'm not going to leave neutral or negative feedback for the guy because I gain nothing but momentary smug satisfaction. Even in the likely event that eBay sides with him, at the very least he'll think twice the next time he packs up an album for the mail.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

2. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member

I've had sellers ship me an LP in bubble wrap packaging that is it(twice)...Lps made it safely to me though. If it was me I would probably say to myself "WTF!" and say some explicit something about the seller...Its bad practice to put the LP directly on the side where it will be opened. Its not like you took a butcher knife and cut the mailer open. I've seen shoddy, careless packing many times and it irritates you. Most recently I told a seller to ship LP outside of cover....he did not and when I asked him why he said he leaves Lps in the cover for extra protection....I'd take the buyers side on this one as Lp is more likely to be damaged when shipped without any protection from mailer box (no cardboard spacers).

Leviethan likes this.
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

However, the LP arrived safely at his door. The OP mentioned bothing about any damage to the record until he sliced into it. The buyer was just careless when opening, IMO.

I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out.

4. Leviethan

I understand your position and I think you're probably right that eBay won't side with me. As far as I'm concerned though, it's the seller's responsibility to make sure the package makes it safely through shipping (barring damage from USPS) AND that the album is packed in such a way that it's not easily damaged during removal. Packing tape is thick and strong and 99.9% of people are going to use some kind of blade to remove it. Don't put something fragile right where the blade goes! Common sense. I also think you've made a lot of incorrect assumptions about how I opened the package. I did it the same way I've done it with hundreds or thousands of other albums over the last twenty years, and I've never damaged a single one until now. I'm anything but careless. From now on I will lift the flaps up before I cut the tape, or just try to remove the tape.

5. Vinyl Addict

This should have been your practice for the last 20 years.
    Regardless, I wish you the best of luck Leviethan! :edthumbs:

6. Leviethan

Maybe so. Thank you.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

This thread has me thinking. I might have some stickers made for the back of my packages offering advice how to carefully open the package. Cut sides first then lift flap before carefully slicing tape.

8. Leviethan

Good idea. Maybe put the sticker right over the tape.

BTW, within five minutes of escalating the claim, eBay found in my favor and refunded my money.

EddieMann and Wally Swift like this.
  9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I want you for my lawyer :laugh: Is there any sort of appeal process or is that case closed?

10. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I don't mean this to be a shot at you, but I think that is a perfect example of why people shouldn't sell on eBay these days. Even though you're one of us, just about all of us sided with the seller on this situation, and we didn't even hear his side of the story!

11. Leviethan

Unfortunately, he didn't give me a story or offer any sort of respectful discussion, he basically just told me to fork off. So that's why I filed a claim. I hope he learns his lesson.

I appreciate people wanting to side with the seller, but I think a lot of people were making incorrect assumptions about how I opened the package, or how the guy had packed it. I maintain that anyone who saw his pack job would have been appalled. I've never, ever had an issue selling on eBay, because I pack things properly.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  12. Leviethan

Ha! I just told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I would imagine that he could have appealed, but he didn't. I sent the album back to him, and eBay said the case is closed. He never responded to anything after his first response anyway. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The guy obviously doesn't care either way.

13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It sounds like ebay didn't even give the seller a chance to give his side of the story, if the case was closed in 5 minutes! But that is extremely typical.

14. Leviethan

He had a week to respond before the claim was escalated and he didn't.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think in this you definitely won because the seller didn't respond. If he had he might have won. Essentially ebay gave him a chance to respond, he didn't, you escalated, they saw no response, case closed. As a seller he should've known that.

16. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

What's your eBay ID so I can block you?

17. Vinyl Addict

Wow, that confirms it. I'm no longer selling vinyl on EBay. What a disgrace ebay has become. They never side with the seller. Taking the right to leave neg feedback as a seller really screwed everything up.

I would feel so guilty about taking that sellers money.
    Edit: How did eBay close the case if the seller hasn't even received the item back yet.

SJP likes this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Exactly. The guy cut through all that stuff and is still placing blame on the seller. The LP arrived undamaged to his doorstep.

SJP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.