speaker static

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rick McQuiston, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick McQuiston

Rick McQuiston Active Member Thread Starter

When I turn off my gear at the end of a listening session, I get an annoying static noise from my DeVore Orangutan O96 speakers, specifically the right channel. And I only get it when I'm playing digital. I don't think it's the speakers. Someone told me it's because I'm using a computer to play music and it's the nature of the digital signal sometimes. But I'd like to get rid of it. Is it wiring? Any thoughts?

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

What amp are you using? It's not uncommon for an amp to cause some slight noise through the speakers as the capacitors discharge if there's no muting relay in the path.

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Also what order are using when powering down ? power amp -> pre-amp-> source ?

4. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Generally, spkrs don't have static. They merely reproduce it.

360-12 likes this.
  5. Rick McQuiston

I didn't know there was an order to powering up and powering down my gear. But you're all right. Just found out from someone in the audio business that you power up and down your amp first, wait 5 seconds, then power up or down everything else. Didn't know that. But is there a specific order? I'm finding out tonight. Thanks all.

6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I always turn on the sources first (CD, SACD, BluRay, etc) and then the amp. When powering down, I go in reverse order.

With my keyboards, it's the instruments, then the mixer, then the amps. And again, reverse order when shutting down.

head_unit likes this.
  7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

When I turn my power amp off my system will play music for about 6 seconds, then it's my power supply off then any source. Very nasty noise when I turned my power off without thinking.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

If you switch the channels (connect the left speaker to right and vice-versa) does the sound change speakers? I'd expect it to, just wondering.

I had an amp once that as it powered down would let out a bit of a tiny squeal. Some amps are just like that, a bit unstable as the power supply collapses, and no output muting relays.

What is the other equipment you are using? I'm wondering, if you plug the digital into a different input, if the problem persists.

c-eling likes this.
  9. Rick McQuiston

Actually, I'm still having the same problem with the amp (Leben preamp and amp). No matter what order I power up or down I still get the static. I may try switching cables and see. It's annoying. But apparently not a big problem as far as I've heard.

10. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Hardly sounds like a cable issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.