Short-Lived Band Members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gary Moore (1952-2011) had been an on-again, off-again guitarist in Thin Lizzy (in 1974 and again from 1977-79). He and Phil Lynott originally played in the group Skid Row (please don't confuse with Sebastian Bach's band) prior to the first Thin Lizzy lineup in 1969.

~Ben

2. Benjamin Edge

Speaking of which, that band had several other short-lived players until 1975:
    Steve Woolam -- violin (1971, committed suicide)
    Andy Craig -- cello (live performance only, 1971-1972)
    Hugh McDowell (the first time) -- cello (live performance only, 1971-1972)
    Bill Hunt -- French horn (1971-1972)
    (all of the above only played on No Answer and, except for violinist Woolam, had contributed only to part of Electric Light Orchestra II)

Wilf Gibson -- violin (1972-1973)
    Colin Walker -- cello (1972-1973)
    (both played on Electric Light Orchestra II, while Gibson contributed to side 2 of On the Third Day)

~Ben

3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I didn't know that. Maybe there's a "Ringo Smiles" in the vaults... :)

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Benjamin Edge

Siouxsie and the Banshees had been famous for this, especially when it came to their guitarists:
    Marco Pirroni (1976)
    Pete Fenton (1976-1977)
    John McKay (1977-1979)
    Robert Smith (yes, of The Cure) (1979, 1982-1984)
    John McGeoch (1980-1982)
    John Valentine Carruthers (1984-1987)
    Jon Klein (1988-1995)
    Knox Chandler (1995)

Drums:
    Sid Vicious (1976)
    Kenny Morris (1976-1979)

~Ben

Thwacko likes this.
  5. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Geoff Britton. Drummer for Wings from August 1974 to January 1975. Replaced by Joe English. I've read that he did not get on with the others very well. Played with Manfred Mann's Earth Band later. Rumour has had it that the 'ahead of its time' "Rub Out" single (1976) by Jeff Britton & The Spitfires maybe is him?

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

If you are going to include the Beatles here, I would more accurately add:
    Tommy Moore - pre Pete Best drummer, who quit after the Scotland tour and took a day job at a bottle works factory
    Stuart Sutcliffe - decided to stay with Astrid in Germany and subsequently died.

7. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Dude played in a diaper and nothing else when I saw the RHCPs way back when. Wtf.

8. Geoff Britton also played Drums on Danny Kirwan's first album. I believe it was his first gig after departing Wings.

the sands likes this.
  9. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Andy Ward (Camel) and Preston Heyman (Kate Bush) in Brand X.

Regarding Andy Ward's short tenure (one gig, 20 February 1976) with the band, as quoted from here:

10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I love that kind of thing. Was Keith Moon ever an honorary member of the BB?

11. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Gram Parsons - The Byrds

Andy Summers - The Animals

Al Kooper - Blood Sweat & Tears (formed the band but left after the release of their first album)

Syd Barrett - Pink Floyd (again formed the band, was lead contributor and frontman on first album and first few singles and contributed little to their second album before being ousted)

Daevid Allen - New York Gong (formed the no wave group that would become known as Material as New York Gong with Bill Laswell and recorded one album with them, credited to New York Gong.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

He probably wished that he was, but I don't think so.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

The forgotten Statler Brother: Joe McDorman. He was part of the original line-up but replaced by Don Reid before the guys signed a record deal. He was brought back as a guest vocalist on their "Originals" album in the late 70s.

14. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Yeah you can say he was short lived in the recorded world of Rush but he was really there from when they formed in '68 until 1974. That's a pretty long time.

15. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Patrick Moraz, in the Moody Blues and Yes. And good riddance in both.

Sorry if Moraz was already mentioned. I didn't read the entire foregoing 15 pages, but really wanted to get this off my chest. The guy's sound was hideously out of place in both bands, imho.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Can't call him short lived though, since he was in the Moodies for about 13 years.

17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Billy Sheehan in Max Webster

18. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

he was also in Parliament/Funkadelic, which IIRC, had a few folks in diapers!

zebop and broccolid like this.
  19. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Arik Marshall: replaced John Frusciante and toured with Red Hot Chili Peppers, never recorded with them.
    Trey Spruance: played guitar on Faith No More's King For A Day... album, did not tour with them. Played in one show on the recent come-back tours.
    Dean Menta: replaced Trey Spruance in Faith No More, toured for King for A Day album, allegedly played on B-sides, but no albums.

20. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The two guitar players on Aerosmith's Rock In A Hard Place.
    Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Adrian Fisher played guitar on Sparks' arguably two best albums, Kimono My House (1973) and Propaganda (1974), and was then let go for a variety of reasons. Adrian was part of my favorite Sparks lineup which included Norman "Dinky" Diamond on drums.

Beamish13 likes this.
  22. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Not to be confused with Wayne Knight...

[​IMG]

23. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

24. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Gary Valentine, original bassist for Blondie 1975 - 77. Wrote the music for X- Offender.... He went on to play and sing for The Know in Los Angeles, did ome other things and then became a writer.

25. Adrian Belew as part of the expanded Talking Heads along with Busta Jones.

Joti Cover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.