The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I know it is off topic but after the cool Micky-Harry Nilsson pic above. This is a great 1969 Vegas pic! RIP Harry and Davy!

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Always loved this shot, they look like they are ready to enter a new stage of the group, when really the Monkees are entering the Monkee end times. I'm so glad they are on a spectacular resurgence in 2016.

3. JerryJ

JerryJ Forum Resident

Great comment! Very crappy review.

bluejeanbaby and mrbobdobalina like this.
  4. paste

paste Forum Resident

I hear the FOW influence, especially Adam Schlesinger's Our Own World. On my first listen, I thought FOW's singer, Chris Collingwood, was also singing on it, but a quick look at the credits show that he was the only member of the band that is not on Good Times.

intv7 likes this.
  5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

That tune could absolutely be a FoW song.

6. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

First I heard of it. I was kind of hoping for a cameo but I guess that is better than nothing!

D-rock likes this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Micky performed "D.W. Washburn" here at the PNE about 8 years ago (solo show) and I think I was the only one who knew the song! I was close to the stage singing along to every line and Micky pointed to me when he sang the line "We picked YOU to save".
    [​IMG]

I thought it was an odd choice since it isn't very remembered and it was a short set, maybe 30 minutes. Coco sang lead on "Shades Of Grey", which I also thought was an interesting choice.

8. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I would wager Micky likes the theatricality of "D.W. Washburn".

bluejeanbaby and Drifter like this.
  9. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Actually, both the Greatest Hits and Best Of are selling well:

[​IMG]

I have to question both of those compilations though for the poor casual Monkees fan.

A greatest hits by definition should include the greatest songs that were hits, so why no "Tapioca Tundra" (Hey, it looks like that was actually #1 in Canada?!?) A greater song than "It's Nice To Be With You", IMO (no offense, Fred! :angel: ). And, considering that a lot of their songs were strongly associated with The Monkees in pop culture via the TV show as opposed to singles, that's a lot of popular Monkees-associated songs that are better songs, yet necessarily by definition completely ignored (lookin' at you "You Just May Be The One" and "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round", etc!) , yet which belong in every casual Monkees fan's collection who maybe caught them on TV and the radio and wants just a single disc of songs.

On the other hand, for the Best Of compilation, are they seriously using the TV Version of "You Just May Be the One" over the album version? Is "Auntie Grizelda" seriously one of their top 20 best!?!? (let me answer that: No!). A very questionable track listing, IMO. And, of course, "best" with Monkees is a very sticky situation considering their vault situation, but I won't go there.

Oh well, at least they have 2 compilations in the top, while I pity the casual fan! :p;)
    :righton:

Sorry to veer off topic, so back to Good Times!

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  10. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

I went back to Amazon's site and the real problem is when you pull up "Good Times! (Deluxe)", it shows a CD option, which takes you to the standard 13 song version, while the MP3 version under "Deluxe" is the 15 song version. Poor job on their part!

11. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I guess all the "best of" albums and compilations are outdated now, time for some new ones!

12. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I wouldn't doubt that places like Target and Best Buy aren't really promoting/stocking it because they didn't get an exclusive deal. I saw the regular version at Target but no sign of it at Best Buy. I didn't check by the front register.

13. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

Or Jellyfish

intv7 likes this.
  14. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I saw this other nice picture of Micky and Harry on Micky's twitter:

[​IMG]

I prefer Joe Chemay's more spirited arrangement of Nesmith's "I Know What I Know", minus the synths of course.

15. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I've been living with this for a few days and it is REALLY working for me. It flows like an original Monkees album. Give it a try.

16. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah Harry looks so innocent there. Way before ***** Cats

D-rock, cuddlytoy and George C. like this.
  17. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Hurry while it is still up. 1:30 of "Love's What I Want".

Edit: the poster said this is not the final version

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Just a few thoughts, after a week of listening.

If there are further versions of the album, one very legitimate bonus track would be Good Times, with a solo Dolenz lead vocal. The duet with Harry is great, but it's a way to get a legitimate Bonus track with little cost involved.

The new album has peaked my interest in The whole Monkee catalogue. It's a very complicated catalogue to understand. Are the bonus track versions by Rhino still in print.

I'm wondering, if I buy the 3 missing link CDs, & the first 6-7 studio albums. Do I need the bonus track versions, if I have missing links 1-3 ?

I'm still looking for a late period Jones song, to stick in with Good Times. Right Now Im adding Manchester Boy & Your Personal Penguin, Id like to replace one of those 2 with something more rock at least jangly.

A week in & this album is a keeper. Long term. At least 3-4 classic all-time song's added to their legacy, maybe 6-8, but several to be sure. I think fans have already voted, Hipster, Makes Laugh, Magdalena, YBTS, into the Monkee Hall of fame.

marmalade likes this.
  19. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

If the drummer had a little more of an Ardolino flair this could be an NRBQ song. I like the 90 sec clip, can't wait to hear the full, final cut

arob71 and davenav like this.
  20. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

One thing you should keep in mind when collecting Rhino's Monkee CDs is that Rhino does a good job of putting at least one unique / exclusive track on almost every release. So, to answer your question, yes, you need them all. So, it's always best to keep your Monkee's CDs because there will always be something, a song, an alternate mix, etc. that you'll need....if you're a completest.

Grand_Ennui, KKW88 and Sammy Banderas like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This is the sample from some Japanese site that was posted upthread.

23. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

bluejeanbaby and D-rock like this.
  24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the other versions of "I Know What I Know" on the Videoranch site? I think there are 3 or 4 in progress versions.

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

There was one version included on the vinyl record that came with Nez' Deluxe Movie of The Mind set.

D-rock likes this.