Favorite #1 single of 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

SITKOL'76 and EddieMann like this.
  2. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Sly. Didn't even have to think about it.

SITKOL'76 and Tristero like this.
  3. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I have nothing against it, but it's one of those remakes that are so like the original it leaves you wondering "why did they bother?".

I voted for Let it Be, but I don't think there's a single song on the list I don't like at least a little bit. What a great year!

I was 13 in 1986 and I agree. I have a playlist on my iPod called "Eighties Music That Doesn't Suck" and I think it has 19 songs, out of over 5,000 in all on the iPod.

4. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Very difficult to choose. I opted for "The Love You Save", which is my favourite of the early J5 hits (just). I could easily have voted for Sly or Smokey too. And if I'm in a mellow mood, then the Carpenters, Neil Diamond and Bread would be next in the frame. I love S&G, but "Bridge" isn't one of my absolute favourites of theirs (still an extraordinary song though), and although I like the Beatles, I'm not really a fan of their two 1970 No. 1s or Harrison's "My Sweet/Sweat Lord".

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

1971 is a stunner as well with Motown maturing into this new era.

I really thought it would go on forever with each year producing quality like this.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

In 1970 I would have voted for the big numbers - Bridge/LetItBe/WindingRd.
    It's Ain't No Mountain High Enough that gets me excited these days.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sly kills it here. That funky bass line sends shivers down my spine.

8. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Beatles - Let It Be

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  9. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

American Woman. Funny thing; I never realized how much I liked this song until I heard Lenny Kravitz butcher it.

SITKOL'76 and joelee like this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I have "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," "Venus" (I agree, The Shocking Blue's definitive original smites all redos, especially Bananarama's)*, "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Let It Be," "American Woman," "Everything Is Beautiful," "The Long And Winding Road," "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)," "(They Long To Be) Close To You," "Make It With You," "Cracklin' Rosie," "I Think I Love You," "The Tears Of A Clown" and "My Sweet Lord." (By then, Billboard was counting double-sided hits atop the charts, thus "Thank You..." shared the top spot with "Everybody Is A Star"; "American Woman," with "No Sugar Tonight"; "The Long And Winding Road," with "For You Blue"; and "My Sweet Lord," with "Isn't It A Pity." How many like those "B's"?)

Don't have Miss Ross' version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," but I prefer her edited 45 version over: a) the long version, and b) Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's. Must've been 'cause Diana's was embedded in my brain first, shutting off all others. In the case of the Bread single, what I have is an early Columbia Pitman pressing with the row of Elektra's on the upper half of the label, one white 'E' in a sea of red 'E's', that was mostly associated with 1967-68 Doors' 45's - and the lower half all white. "The Tears Of A Clown," I've preferred that 45 version with the updated backing track which clearly made the 1967 original sound like a dress rehearsal by comparison. My copies of the Apple singles are all Scrantons (with the Harrison one, before they added the "Recorded in England" and there was an absence of an 'X' in the matrix number).

* For those "Venus" aficionados besides myself, how many out there are familiar with "The Banjo Song" by The Big Three (featuring a pre-"Mama" Cass Elliot)?

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  11. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I thought it totally sucked.

Still do.

The Shocking Blue version rules.

SITKOL'76 and joelee like this.
  12. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Sweat Lord, followed by Venus and Let It Be.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  13. John54

John54 Senior Member

The Long and Winding Road, edging out I Think I Love You. My Sweet Lord runs a decent third. At the other end of the scale, I would really prefer never to hear Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, Mama Told Me Not to Come or Tears of a Clown ever again. Ditto for anything by the Jackson 5, although The Love You Save and I'll Be There aren't as annoying as the others. Also, it is extremely vexatious that something as dreary as Make It With You can hit the top of the charts while a stellar David Gates-produced track like If You Ever Need Me by Margaret Mandolph couldn't even crack Bubbling Under the Top 100. Finally, Crackling Rosie is the Sugar Sugar of this chart, in that it's not really terrible on its own merits, but surely we're all sick of it by now.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  14. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

As a Beatles nut, I'd normally vote for them (Let It Be, in this case). But given such a strong selection, I went for War. Other songs deserve votes too and for me War just edged it ahead of Bridge, Tears Of A Clown and Make It With You.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

What a great year for music! Not a bad apple among them!

I have to go with Let It Be, the awesomest, most goosebumps-inducing song on the list.

Sly is a close second.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  16. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Yeah, but in fairness, this is a list of #1 songs for the year, and that one was a list of 1-25 in a single week. That same week in 1970 featured such memorable classics as "Gimme Dat Ding" by The Pipkins at #9, with plenty of other detritus to spare. I'm not sure if Crabby Appleton's "Go Back" is a sign of how deep June 1970 is or how shallow. :laugh:

You might think it's psychotic for me to have looked that up, and it is. You might also think it's psychotic for me to look up all of the #1 singles for 1986, and you'd be right again.

But here ya go. I do prefer the 1970 list, but not much to be ashamed of here. 33 songs in 52 weeks, and really, other than being a little heavy on power ballads for my taste, nothing too humiliating. Certainly not as humiliating as being unable to stop myself from looking it up and sharing it.

Say You, Say Me (Title Song From White Nights) Lionel Richie (2 weeks)
    That's What Friends Are For Dionne Warwick (3 weeks)
    How Will I Know Whitney Houston (only 2 weeks?)
    Kyrie Mr. Mister (2 weeks)
    Sara Starship (1 week)
    These Dreams Heart (1 week)
    Rock Me Amadeus Falco (3 weeks - NOW we're talking! :laugh:)
    Kiss Prince And The Revolution (2 weeks)
    Addicted To Love Robert Palmer (1 week)
    West End Girls Pet Shop Boys (1 week)
    Greatest Love Of All Whitney Houston (3 weeks)
    Live To Tell Madonna (1 week)
    On My Own Patti LaBelle (3 weeks)
    There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry) Billy Ocean (1 week)
    Holding Back The Years Simply Red (1 week)
    Invisible Touch Genesis (1 week)
    Sledgehammer Peter Gabriel (1 week - fun to see those back to back!)
    Glory Of Love (Theme From "The Karate Kid Part II") Peter Cetera (2 weeks)
    Papa Don't Preach Madonna (2 weeks)
    Higher Love Steve Winwood (1 week)

Venus Bananarama :laugh:
    Haters gonna hate hate hate hate. Just 1 week on top, alas. :laugh:

Take My Breath Away (Love Theme From "Top Gun") Berlin (1 week)
    Stuck With You Huey Lewis (3 weeks)
    When I Think Of You Janet Jackson (2 weeks)
    True Colors Cyndi Lauper (2 weeks)
    Amanda Boston (2 weeks)
    Human The Human League (1 weeks)
    You Give Love A Bad Name Bon Jovi (1 week)
    The Next Time I Fall Peter Cetera With Amy Grant (1 week)
    The Way It Is Bruce Hornsby (1 week -- maybe the most surprisingly short on this list. That felt like #1 for months to me)
    Walk Like An Egyptian Bangles (2 weeks)

While most of what I loved in the 80s was happening (to borrow a phrase) going underground (and to borrow another) at the left of the dial, I do think it's worthwhile to compare comparables, weekly #1 records head to head. :wave:

If perhaps to little avail. :laugh: The 70s are the 70s, The Beatles are The Beatles, and so it goes.

And yes, I voted for "Let it Be".:goodie:

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  17. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Best song, Let It Be, but the best single, I Want You Back.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  18. Jennifer Tomkins

Jennifer Tomkins Well-Known Member

For you fellow musicologists, the best selling single of 1970 is represented in this list:
    "I Think I Love You" - Partridge Family

What an amazing list. Does radio even play that many songs in total in a whole year any longer? Sigh

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I could have voted for any one of the Motown/soul/r and b hits, but went for Sly. Totally original, and still sounds it today.

StevelandJudkins and SITKOL'76 like this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Long And Winding Road

Runners up :

Let It Be

Tears of a Clown

Bridge was prolly my fave then

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

All of them. It was a good year and I was 13 years old, the perfect age to like all the hit songs on the radio. :)

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Some classics there

Voted I Think I Love You , but I like all of these about the same- Make It With You (yeah,I'm a hopeless romantic) , Tears Of A Clown or Close To You.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's a toss up between:

Close to You
    Bridge Over Troubled Waters
    Tears of a Clown

I voted for the 'Funkel & Simon classic.

What's better than anything on that list?
    A: "Get Up (I Feel Like Being Like) a Sex Machine" by James Brown

...but I guess it only got to #15 on the Pop Chart. :shrug:

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Re. Venus I'm a child of the 80's but prefer the original. I do like the Banarama cover though ,although not generally a fan of their later Schlock/Aitken/Waterman period

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The Beatles attitude is so reverent here, not to mention the classic rock reverence, that it took all of about two seconds to figure out that "Let It Be" would win the poll, even with so many other good songs on the list. The results, as of this morning, show it with twice as many votes as any other song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.