One Thing I Know for Sure. I'm Not an Audiophile.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lymbo, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The 401 has been given the Martin Bastin treatment. No rumble.
    Can,t really fault it, except 150 has sweeter treble
    V15 is superb tracker!
    I get the impression that unipivots are really better suited to 401. Any views on this?

Brother_Rael and Rolltide like this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That looks like a good idea, but I think it would work better without the vegetables - YMMV though.

jimbutsu likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I like to cryo freeze my cutting boards, then and only then can you be an audiophile

Kyhl and Brother_Rael like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't get the typical case of audiophile denial here.

Instead, I see a different audiophile here.

The reason that you state not being an audiophile is based on honest observations on your part.

A thread that I read earlier was speaking about the differences between a brass plate vs. jumper wire to bridge the crossovers on speakers.

Now the OP just asked a question, not stating an opinion. Before I even got to the thread, the Gorts had already locked it down.

See, as an "audiophile" you are expected to be all knowing of all things audio and you should be able to write a 500-word review comparing and contrasting the differences between the two turntables. I am speaking only of the sonic differences here. As another poster pointed out, you must have done some research to come up with the equipment that you have (I see what looks like a John Curl designed amplifier on the bottom shelf).

With all of this acquired intricate knowledge, being someone who knows vinyl and having your own equipment in your own environment, with your own record collection, favorite chair, drink... The bottom line is that your conclusion is that there are minor differences, not enough to really justify spending $2k more on the more expensive TT.

No comments about the inner groove distortion on one vs. the other, shame on you! No difference in rumble between them tisk tisk tisk...

You just don't understand that you are expected to hear all of these microscopic audiophile differences and explain them on a macroscopic level.

Good News! You are an audiophile, just an honest one who is calling the shots as he sees them. Bravo!

While I understand that you are not sitting in the room that I sit in and you can not hear what I am hearing, that does not bother me and I do not require a scientific explanation as to why something should sound as it does and if I had scientific measurements, that would be a different story.

But there are too many "audiophiles" that hide behind this and make claims that can't be refuted because they heard a difference and someone else does not.

When someone in the prior mentioned thread said something to the extent that replacing a brass plate with 3" of wire was just not going to made much, if any difference at all, the battle lines were drawn and the Gorts swooped in.

Maybe we audiophiles need to keep to the basics and just be honest in their evaluations.

A little less of worrying about a gnat on the backside of an elephant.

mantis4tons and martinb4 like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Didn't you know, "veggies" are the new sorbothane.

Kristofa and Rolltide like this.
  6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

All due respect OP... You're posting on SH.tv regarding a comparison between your 2 (two!) turntables :)

Yes you are an audiophile. Embrace it!

martinb4 likes this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I think of myself as an audiophile/music lover but I suspect most wouldn't (even though I have three turntables and four systems) because I am completely satisfied with Marantz integrated amps, Monoprice cables and wire, and NHT speakers. Oh, and tone controls. :)

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Bingo! You're an audiophile!

9. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think the real problem and the most important aspect of these types 'hobbies', is that by nature they are excluding.
    They are so to those that are not so much in this hobby, but they are so even within the hobby. Nothing special with 'audiophile' as such, the problem in inherent in the nature of most similar.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm an audiophile because I care how music sounds to me. I have some hearing loss, but I still care and am very aware of what sounds good/right to me. Most folks in the general public have zero interest in how it sounds unless it's too loud or too soft. For analogies see "McDonald's" and "Lite Beer." It's a good burger and a fine drink unlesa you actually care about it.

11. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Ampli-tude.

I like it!

:D

12. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Sounds like a great review for the Pioneer PLX-1000 to me

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The Martin Balsam treatment? I hope not! martin balsam.jpg

Destroysall, Daedalus and Thorensman like this.
  14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I own a 70 lb. CD player. Reasonably sure I'm an audiophile.... :winkgrin:

D.D.

Dennis Metz, hi_watt and Old Rusty like this.
  15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

A lot of people here are ignorant to room acoustics and there effects on what we hear when evaluating differences. This is probably the biggest problem I would say.

krisbee likes this.
  16. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

It is not easy!

17. If you have gear like that, you are an audiophile.

18. In this day and age, anybody who owns a "real" (e.g., non-Crosley and the like) turntable is an audiophile. Audiophile=a person who cares about sound.

19. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Hey man if I had that system I would want to start a thread with pics too :). But seriously congrats on having a great system. I'm pretty sure your story had two non-audiophiles and 1 audiophile. See if you can pick them out.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You're definitely an audiophile, because you're saying a VPI Classic with a Dynavector doesn't sound any better than a Chinese-made Technics knock-off. If that isn't being an audiophile, I don't know what is.

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'm a Brony.

22. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Last I heard "audiophile" isn't a curse word, though some seem to think it is.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'm using a bronze in my SOTA Comet and love it to death.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't care what the consensus is, to me it largely comes down to a battle of the cartridges. 50% cartridge 25% arm 25% platter drive.

25. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wrong. I did not say the VPI Classic with the Dynavector didn't sound any better the the Pioneer PLX with the 2M Black. I said it didn't sound like a $2,000 difference, which as another person correctly said was very "subjective."

As a few have said, this is strong commentary about the PLX-1000...you know the Chinese-made Technics knock=off. Whatever you want to call it, it's a damn fine turntable.

2xUeL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.