When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I remember when my older sister was listening to the Purple Rain album, I remember thinking I Would Die 4 U was "Apple Dapple You" for the longest time, I still hear it that way LOL

Scratcha and JediJoker like this.
  2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Me too!

I also thought "The Day Before You Came" was a happy song. I thought she was remembering how boring her life was before she met him, and she was now really happy because they're together. I always thought it was weird that such a happy song sounded so heartbreakingly sad.

Of course now I realise that she's saying "I must have..." because he's no longer around and she's alone again, and this is what her life's like now.

What a song.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I remember how disappointed I was when I finally got hold of an opened copy of the White Album and discovered that there were no Revolutions No. 2-8 to be found amongst the track listings.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  4. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

From Zoot Allures :

'I lost control of my body functions
    On a bald-headed lady's front lawn
    But I can't help myself
    'Cause I'm a wino man! '

This wonderful picture has been in my head since I was a teenager. Only today I discovered it's a roller-headed lady.

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Willy and the Pope was a-playin'...

Scratcha, Runicen and JediJoker like this.
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Could it be that many of us were/are accustomed to hearing things enunciated as young children, so when we hear inarticulate singing, we can't make out what is being sung, so we rely on phonetics, even though what we think we hear is totally wrong?

Mr. Explorer and OldSoul like this.
  7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

It's not!?!? Good Lord my life has all been a lie.

"Dawn surprise"? What the hell does that mean? On second thought do I want to know?

8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

On Aquarius/Let the Sunshine by the 5th Dimension I had the meaning wrong in Sunshine. Instead of "Let the Sunshine, let the Sunshine in" I thought it was let the sun shine.....let the sun shine in" There really is a difference if you think about it. Sunshine is a noun. Sun shine is a verb or action of the sun shining in.

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Roger Whittaker's 'The Last Farewell'. The line 'And I have loved you dearly, more dearly than the spoken word can tell'. I'm Dutch, and 'spoken' in Dutch is 'ghosts'. Very exciting for a 9-year old who couldn't understand English yet!

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

On a similar note... when I was a kid, I assumed the credits were just listing the members of the group. You can imagine why this led to a great deal of confusion! :p

Mr. Explorer and johnny q like this.
  11. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

Ultravox' Vienna was big just around the time I left school. I wasn't into Ultravox and never took the trouble to find out, but I did wonder idly what the duck was doing there, in the picture frame ('a man and a duck in a picture frame, so mystic and soulful'). A couple of weeks ago my wife was playing it and I mentioned this. I don't think I've said anything that made her laugh that much in ten years. Anyway now I know there is no duck. 'A man in the dark in a picture frame'. I see.

Scratcha likes this.
  12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Hasn't Fogerty copped to singing, "Willie the negro can't be beat," on at least one occasion, instead of, "bring a nickel, stamp your feet?"

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

At the grocery store, I was charmed when a mother's group of young daughters sang along to the Corrs' Receptionist Rock classic, "Breathless." They thought the chorus was "C'mon, leave me breakfast."

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

Prince Computer blue: "til I find the righteous one, computer blue" sounded like "til i find a bat or swan, to get it blue" silly but funny... Also I always loved w.a.s.p. The real me...then after many years I found out it was The Who ! Phil Collins "you can't hurry love" the phrase "don't come easy" sounded like an italian priest "Don Camisi"

Scratcha, Mr. Explorer and JediJoker like this.
  15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

From Gerry & the Pacemakers:

We know that cryin's not a bad thing
    But stop your cryin' when the dead sing

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Life In The Fast Lane - The Eagles

Not the lyrics, but I thought they were singing about actually driving in the passing lane and what fun it was and about all the people in the car with him.

I was a very dumb 12 year old. :hide:

17. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

"Everytime you go...away.....you take a piece meat of with you"

18. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

I thought "Sister Golden Hair" was about a deacon ("I ain't ready for the altar") in love with the nun for whom the song was named, Sister Golden Hair Surprise (of an obviously progressive order).

19. 23 Skidoo

23 Skidoo Well-Known Member

"When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?"

Well, I was no longer a 'kid' but I did get a few songs totally wrong. For example: "Puff the Magic Dragon" had nothing to do with marijuana, "You're So Vain" was not about Mick Jagger, and "Louie Louie" had no references to sex at all. :shake:

Scratcha likes this.
  20. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

From "All Good Gifts" (Godspell) - "No gifts have we to offer for all thy lovin' parts"

21. relaxdrax

relaxdrax Forum Resident

When I was about 5 years old I LOVED the guitar intro to Money For Nothing - Dire Straits. Too bad I didn't know that was a guitar, I would enthusiastically play air piano....

Scratcha, Rne, OneStepBeyond and 3 others like this.
  22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I had no idea what Nikki was doing with that magazine in the Prince song. I sang long to it anyway.

Scratcha and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  23. John54

John54 Senior Member

When I first heard Black is Black, I thought I had finally identified an artist from the song ... Gene Pitney!

24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

I vaguely recall watching "Shindig" when I was seven years old and thinking that The Rolling Stones' rhythm guitarist and the Yardbirds' lead vocalist were the same person. Kind of understandable, since they both had the exact same hair.

25. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

In "Pinch Me" by the Barenaked Ladies (a radio staple when I was in elementary school), the line: "Take a drink right from the hose
    And change into some drier clothes" always confused me for years. For some reason I always heard "drier clothes" as "dryer clothes" and was wondering why he specifically wanted clothes right out of the dryer and why it mattered in the context of the song

guy incognito and Moshe like this.