Star Wars: Rogue One [Now with GIANT SPOILERS, so beware!]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Unless there's some big-time misdirection going on in the teaser, I don't see how this story is really self-contained at all. It seems to tie directly in to Episode IV about as closely as possible.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Well yeah, I never meant to imply it was a make-or-break factor.

Solaris likes this.
  3. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

In terms of large-scale events, yes. In terms of characters and plot focus, not so much.

4. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

The great thing about Rogue One, which is the first movie in a 3 film anthology and the other 2 stand alone movies which are Han Solo and the third is unnamed. (Rumor has it that it could be about Boba Fett, they are all canon, and they all fit in the grand star wars universe. Even if they are stand alone movies, it doesn't really matter. For me as long as they are chronologically sound, I'm happy with that. Now that the nightmare inconsistent Expanded Universe is no longer canon and Disney has taken the reigns: After the acquisition, Disney and Lucasfilm established the Lucasfilm Story Group, a committee whose job is to keep track of and define the "canon" in an effort to unify the films, comics, and other media with the existing canon (wiki). I feel that since Disney is starting from scratch with the new movies coming out, things will be less inconsistent. And these stand alone movies do tie in with the trilogies in one form or another. Rogue One is self explanatory on how that will tie in with Star Wars a New Hope, the Han Solo stand alone will obviously look at his early years, how he met chewbacca, and how he became this pirate. If there's a Boba Fett stand alone, I could see the movie tie in with Star Wars attack of the clones and what he did after his old man got decapitate. It's going to be interesting to see how they are going to explain these stories and how they fit in the large star wars universe. I am happy though that Disney didn't include the Ewok movies as canon.

Wounded Land likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Han Solo Star Wars Movie: Alden Ehrenreich Lands Lead Role

[​IMG]
    Following recent rumors that he became the front runner to play the young Han Solo in the untitled Star Wars Story spinoff, Alen Ehrenreich has reportedly secured the role in Chris Miller and Phil Lord's film. Miller shared a photo featuring Han Solo's iconic blaster gun, which seemed to incidate that the casting for the role would soon be announced.

The news came from Page Six, who reported that the casting of Hail, Caesar! star Alden Ehrenreich as young Han Solo. Following his unforgettable breakout role in the Coen brothers' Hollywood ensemble comedy, Ehrenreich landed on a shortlist for the role in the currently untitled franchise, part of Lucasfilm's series of spin-off movies under the Star Wars Story banner.

Lord and Miller's Han Solo Star Wars film is set to begin production in January 2017 and will be released in theaters in 2018, but according to Page Six, Lucasfilm has plans for Ehrenreich to appear in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. So this is probably the reason why they had to lock down the casting for the younger Han Solo, so they could film a cameo for the Gareth Edwards-directed film. Rogue One hits theaters on Dec. 16, 2016.
    Han Solo Star Wars Movie: Alden Ehrenreich Lands Lead Role »

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

If the rumours of a Han Solo cameo in Rogue One turn out to be true maybe it could be a scene set in Maz Kanata's cantina. I say this because in the Force Awakens blu-ray special features a production designer described Maz's place as "...the sort of place people might meet to plan a heist" and for me Rogue One immediately sprang to mind.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

That would be awesome!

Voodoo Child likes this.
  8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Of course the images can still be found for now... Not that I encourage anyone looking for them.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mwaw......I wanna see!

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Felicity Jones is an excellent actress, maybe not a "multiplex" name, but if you've been watching British or independent films over the past several years she's been great in quite a few.

Some favorites: Cemetery Junction, Like Crazy, Albatross, Breathe In, The Invisible Woman.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. progrocker71

Agreed, it seems many are thinking with that little thing swinging between their legs instead of the little grey cells.

Encuentro likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I've never understood how those "many" can do such a thing. It's like the men who shoot down women who are into the same nerdy things they are and insist they can't be "trufans"; it's like, shouldn't that be what you're looking for, not something you're paddling away from as hard as possible?

In this case, if someone's thinking with their brain instead of their brain...how is having a beautiful woman in the lead role a problem, again? :p

progrocker71 likes this.
  14. progrocker71

"...a bit suspect I think."

[​IMG]

:laugh:

15. Encuentro

Upon watching the trailer for the umpteenth time recently, I noticed that the look and sound of the laser fire was much closer to the original trilogy than the laser fire in The Force Awakens. The look and sound of the laser fire in The Force Awakens was much closer to the two Abrams directed Star Trek films than any of the Star Wars films. Even if one were to account for the change in technology a new generation would bring, the laser fire from the Millennium Falcon didn't look or sound anything like the laser fire in A New Hope.

Rubber65 likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It looks like Disney executives are unhappy with the current version of Rogue One. According to sources, the movie is now scheduled for an 'expensive re-shoot' over the summer, ahead of its December release.

The source elaborated that 'the movie isn’t testing well' and 'Disney won’t take a back seat'. The suggestion is that the director, Gareth Edwards, is given to 'risk-taking' and keeping studio presence at bay, and this may have caused friction among those studio execs...

17. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Oh, man...

18. Encuentro

I read about this today. Some of the speculation includes rumors of scenes that are considered to be brutal, and that with the success of The Force Awakens, Disney is looking for something with a similar tone, something a little more family friendly. If these particular rumors are true, I say give Gareth Edwards free reign to do something truly original. Lucas, Kasdan and Kershner took a risk with The Empire Strikes Back and came up with something really unique.

artfromtex, budwhite and JPagan like this.
  19. Usually when the studio interferes, the end result stinks.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  20. progrocker71

There is a more detailed and frankly more believable version of this story that appears in The Hollywood Reporter.

Disney Orders Reshoots for 'Star Wars' Stand-Alone 'Rogue One' This Summer »

First difference: The pic has not yet been tested before audiences. So the "movie isn't testing well" is complete horses**t.

I also think any talk of friction between the director and the studio is a similar pile of the aforementioned.

"The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure." According to the article the initial cut felt like a war movie, which I guess made soft and fuzzy Disney a little nervous. So I expect them to interject some cute characters and goofy jokes.

If the studio was unhappy with Edwards he wouldn't be doing the reshoots, they would have replaced him.

Plan9, mikeyt and Encuentro like this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with that. The last thing I'd want is the insertion of slapstick farting aliens or Jar Jar type characters to 'lighten' the mood. Kids also want to be scared, not to be pandered to.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I hope a "brutal" director's cut finds its way out on the blu ray.

Matthew Tate and JPagan like this.
  23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

:rolleyes: Not a good sign, no matter how one wants to spin it.
    I'm sure the studio was heavily involved at every stage, so re-shooting would indicate some sort of failing with the script, I would think. A darker tone wouldn't necessarily matter if it was good, you know?

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"BETTY, GET ME JAR-JAR BINKS ON THE PHONE! WE'RE GONNA SAVE THIS MOVIE!"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I gotta say, as an aside, I recently made an abortive attempt to re-watch the prequels. And, as much as I have no love for the Jar Jar, it was the two Anakin actors that rendered the movies unwatchable for me. I started Phantom Menace, gave up, then thought, "I seem to recall Attack of the Clones was a little better..." Lasted a few minutes before I literally found myself saying "Shut up! I hate your stupid voice!" to Hayden Christensen. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.