Elton John - Your favorite CD Mastering of each of the First Eleven Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Was that because it was when a label change forced the major changes in content to Vol. 2? Or was it right around when DCC folded? Or some other reason?

2. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Any previous CD pressings of Elton prior to the 1995 remasters sound way better. Right on.:agree:

3. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

I want to say it was right around when DCC folded, because the first Greatest Hits didn't come out long before that.

4. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I have all the albums of Elton John on CD ... remastered.:sigh:

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Me too, but I've been slowly acquiring older issues at used stores. Still keeping the remasters and SACDs for the extra tracks and 5.1 mixes. I always had the MoFis of GYBR and Madman. Still need Tumbleweed. Have the MCA of Caribou, GH 1, and GH 2 and Polydor of self titled, 17-11-70, and Captain Fantastic. And the AF of Rock of the Westies, of course.

I really dig the Polydor issue of Captain Fantastic. I didn't realize how compressed the SACD was until I heard those drum-hits in Curtains on the Polydor CD. :eek: Wow! Just how much better is the MCA, for those who have heard both?

Carlox likes this.
  6. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Thanks.:righton:

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I've heard both and I don't think the MCA is better. There is a split opinion on Captain Fantastic. Two very different presentations. I can certainly see why some would prefer the MCA. It's cheap to acquire so everyone ought to do their own comparison.

Detroit Rock Citizen and Lyle_JP like this.
  8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I am still a Polydor fan for his early CD's. I still have a few MCA's including Don't Shoot Me (full artwork on back) but have not recently compared them. How I ended up with multiple copies of his S/T album on the Polydor label I do not know. I probably have that on MCA also but not sure. At one point I had all or most on both Polydor and MCA with a few DJM thrown in but not sure now what I have left. I grabbed a few of the remasteres just for the bonus tracks. I will say that the MFiT of Capatian Fantastic and Elton John albums are pretty good and sometimes pretty cheap on iTunes.

Pat

9. It's just different. It's like comparing two different types of chocolate. Each has its virtue but one will probably be your favorite.

Lyle_JP likes this.
  10. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Has anyone heard both the 2013 platinum SHM/SHM and MFSL version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road CD and can comment how they compare? All of the Platinum SHM 's I have are some of the best versions on CD that I have (Rolling Stones, Derek and the Dominos, Rod Stewart EPTAS etc.) curious if GYBR is of the same great quality, I would prefer to get a new, cheaper SHM over a used, more expensive MFSL if they're close in quality.

Here's the DR values from the 2013 SHM that shares the same mastering as the 2013 Platinum SHM from an older thread:

"OK, here's the DR of the 2013 Platinum SHM-CD (actually it's the standard SHM-CD issued on the same date, which I understand has the same mastering).

foobar2000 1.1.12a / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2014-03-28 10:28:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Elton John / Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SHM-CD)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -1.57 dB -16.14 dB 11:09 01-Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
    DR11 -2.65 dB -16.98 dB 3:50 02-Candle In The Wind
    DR11 -2.64 dB -17.37 dB 5:24 03-Bennie And The Jets
    DR13 -0.89 dB -17.57 dB 3:13 04-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    DR10 -3.18 dB -17.57 dB 2:24 05-This Song Has No Title
    DR11 -0.42 dB -15.88 dB 4:01 06-Grey Seal
    DR12 -1.89 dB -16.45 dB 3:40 07-Jamaica Jerk-Off
    DR14 -1.36 dB -18.34 dB 6:01 08-I've Seen That Movie Too
    DR13 -2.70 dB -18.22 dB 3:55 09-Sweet Painted Lady
    DR11 -1.78 dB -15.71 dB 4:25 10-The Ballad Of Danny Bailey (1909-34)
    DR12 -0.25 dB -15.76 dB 5:03 11-Dirty Little Girl
    DR11 -1.38 dB -16.69 dB 5:12 12-All The Girls Love Alice
    DR10 -1.44 dB -14.93 dB 2:42 13-Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock 'n Roll)
    DR11 -1.54 dB -14.73 dB 4:56 14-Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
    DR11 -2.87 dB -16.83 dB 4:08 15-Roy Rogers
    DR12 -1.43 dB -16.19 dB 3:44 16-Social Disease
    DR12 -1.15 dB -16.32 dB 2:47 17-Harmony

Number of tracks: 17
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 914 kbps
    Codec: FLAC"

11. Michael Sutter

The SHM SACD of GYBR is a good disc. It sounds a little bit weak in parts mainly because it appears to be a flat transfer of the master... That being said, it is more dynamic than the MFSL, which uses some compression. MFSL wins the tone battle, SHM wins dynamics. But honestly the SHM does sound good, and if it's much cheaper than the MFSL, then get it.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's almost certainly no compression on the MFSL.

fluffskul and ACK! like this.
  13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have the MFSL of GBYBR and I think it sounds really good. Have to play it a decent volume to really hear this version shine. I don't have the SHM but do have the Polydor and the DVD-A (or is it SACD?) for the surround version. Had the MCA years ago.

Pat

14. Michael Sutter

There is! Maybe not compression but perhaps some gain riding on parts. Compare the SHM or the DDL Superdisk to the SHM... Especially on songs like Danny Bailey and Social Disease, where the dynamics are key. You will hear it. I can post samples if you want

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also very unlikely.

The MFSL was licensed from MCA, so it's possible they used copy tapes rather than the masters.

16. Michael Sutter

You can disagree, but my ears and the waveforms tell a different story. Top is MFSL, bottom is SHM-SACD, both have been volume matched. Both start at the same volume but the SHM gets a LOT louder. I have heard the one quality of the MFSL people do not like on this forum is that it can be too "polite" at times and I think that is because some of this dynamic range has been lessened. The Superdisk has the same dynamics as the SHM, which leads me to believe that's how the master sounds.

[​IMG]

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As above, if there was any dynamic manipulation, it was almost certainly on the tape used.

18. Michael Sutter

Interesting. Looks like it is worth comparing the MCA CD to the MFSL CD to see if this is the case.

19. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

If memory serves, around the time the Rocket Remasters were issued, ICE Magazine had a Gus Dudgeon interview where he stated the original masters had never left his possession. The intimation was that MoFi's reissues were mastered from copy tapes, probably MCA's US copies.

grx8 and Michael Sutter like this.
  20. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

Are all the redbook layers of the hybrid sacd's from around 2004 the same as the Rocket Gus Dungeon remasters from the mid 90's??

bbanderic likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't believe they are.

Paul99 likes this.
  22. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

I remember reading a while ago that they were the same, but cant seem to find the post. So are they completely unique masters with no clones? Who mastered them?

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, new remasters by Tony Cousins at Metropolis Mastering, London.

Paul99 likes this.
  24. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

It seems like I've read praise for the hi-def version of the "Elton John" album. Opinions?

25. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I have the MFSL of GYBR and whilst it is decent, there was always something that bothered me about it. These posts piqued my interest and I tracked down a copy of the SHM SACD and ripped it to PCM to do a comparison. It was obvious from the start that the SHM SACD is much more dynamic and as Michael pointed out, on tracks such as Danny Bailey it is almost like a level of congestion has been removed and it opens up wonderfully.

Having said that, the SHM SACD is not perfect and on some tracks I preferred the tone of the MFSL despite the difference in dynamics. I think the SHM SACD can be a little "hot" in the upper mids/low highs and when I compared plot spectrums in Audacity, the main difference was a 1dB to 2dB variation in the 2kHz to 8kHz range. I tried some EQ with a blanket 1dB reduction in that range on the SHM SACD tracks and to my ears this smooths things out a touch without compromising the openness in any way. Maybe I could be a little more scientific with the EQ but this tweak sounds pretty good for now and it will be my "go to" version.

It is interesting why these two releases sound SO different......the small plot spectrum differences don't really equate to what you hear, so if there was no compression used on the MFSL then perhaps it does all come back to the tape source used as lukpac suggested :shrug:

Michael Sutter likes this.