Apple to buy Tidal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pscreed, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member Thread Starter

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

That would be a very big deal if it happened— for starters it would presumably finally bring lossless music to the Apple realm, something many people on this forum have yearned for.

You could power a spaceship to Jupiter with the combined hatred for iTunes, Apple Music, and Tidal in many a thread here. Gentlemen, start your heads explodin'!

:nauga:

VinylRob, martinb4, Shiver and 2 others like this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If it meant a lossless store in iTunes one day, I'm all for it.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If iTunes ever runs on Linux, slims down the bloatware, and runs like it should, I'd like it.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It means we lose one major drm-free lossless provider and apple shows no plans of offering an alternative - DRM free or otherwise.

Not good, unless Apple gets its act together.

6. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

I hope not, I use Tidal via Roon and would hate to see that changed in any way.........

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The acquire/destroy scenario in Apple buying Tidal doesn't ring true IMO. Preserving a semblance of audiophile credibility if Tidal joins Apple seems like the obvious point, assuming the point isn't just snatching Kanye and Neil Young baldheaded.

nightstand68 likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Apple did announce an overhaul to Music at their development conference a few weeks back. I presumed this was to the interface. Nothing so far, though.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This makes no sense whatsoever. So, under the reign of dim bulb Tim Cook, it's probably true.

Buy Tidal because, you know, it would be so hard for Apple to negotiate high def streaming agreements with the majors itself.

It's also probably true, because Apple is also supposedly dumping the headphone jack for a high def compatible interface.

Because we all know that 99.99% of cell phones are used to play music in places quiet enough and over equipment good enough to make high def on your phone an imperative.

The best quote from that article in the OP:

You can't make this kind of crap up.

10. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

We live in a modern corporate world where phones are now replacing iPod's or other music playback devices for the general public. With the rise in popularity of headphones, it doesn't surprise me that Apple is pushing for a higher quality capable iPhone.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I wouldn't use the word "replacing"...I think it's already occurred.

George P and Destroysall like this.
  12. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

True.

13. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Apple using MQA would interesting, no? Or would they ditch it and just stream Apple Lossless, or just ditch lossless altogether.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you think more than << 1% of the users of iPhones/iPods are listening in an environment and on equipment where an analog interconnect is the weak link, you're deluding yourself.

Some genius in a marketing meeting probably convinced the table that if Apple jettisons the headphone jack they can A) reduce the thickness of or round the edges of the iPhone (wow, cool) and B) sell an entirely new set of hardware and C) have a ready-to-go set of Beats headphones compatible with the new protocol (wow, synergies).

It's not that the world needs it--almost no one does. But it's what marketing guys do.

martinb4 likes this.
  15. pscreed

Well since I bought a lifetime sub, they'll probably buy Roon next... That would be a nightmare :cussing:

16. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I must be the only guy who hates Roon. What a pain that thing is. I am finally happy with Tidal running under Audirvana. Ahhh.

17. pscreed

Let's just say we have a common interest. If Tidal gets bought by Apple, how long do you think your "Audirvana" integration is going to last until they pull the plug?

nightstand68 likes this.
  18. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

That would suck. I listen to itunes on my phone and ipad but never through my stereo. Frankly, I, among throngs of others, hate itunes on the computer. I hope this never happens.

pscreed likes this.
  19. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Ben Sisario streaming techie with The NY Times says that Apple is not buying Tidal. So probably it's best not to worry about it unless there is actual hard news. I'm sure Tidal would love to be bought by Apple though and maybe Jay Z said as much to a news source haha.

22. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Well I guess Tidal will no longer work on my Squeezebox Touch or Oppo 105D if this happens. But hey, it'll probably work on the Apple TV piece of crap, and they'll go back to lossy because after all people can't tell the difference right?

audiomixer likes this.
  23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

How exactly is the AppleTv a peice of crap? It is the absolute most important peice of gear in either of my racks!

Galley, DBR70 and SamS like this.
  24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Pretty much my only problem with it at this point is that all audio gets converted to 16/48.

jlc76 likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Since when isn't a piece of wire not "high def" compatible? There would be "no def" if it wasn't capable of carrying a signal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.