I don't understand how prices can vary like this!?!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GuildX700, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking at an audio shelf unit.

I just missed Target having it for only $78 with using the right codes.

http://www.target.com/p/payton-5-shelf-audio-tower-black-48-whalen/-/A-17272605

Checking amazon it is all over the map, 3 party sellers $230 to $138, and $400 to $78. WTF???

Whalen Furniture AVTEC48-TC High Audio Video Tower, 48-Inch (B00FSE7JZ2) »

Whalen 5-Shelf Audio/Video Tower, Brown Cherry (B01BGSVICI) »

Right now it's $409 or $257 on Amazon, searching the net it's all over the map, E Bay has it for a whopping $550, $189 or $226.

Video Audio System A/V Equipment Tower, Media Room Furniture Storage Shelf Rack »

Audio Video Rack Tower Storage Stand Equipment Shelf Stereo Cabinet VAS Shelves »

Whalen Furniture AVTEC48-TC High Audio Video Tower, 48-Inch, New, Free Shipping »

And idiots are buying them at $550!!!

Walmart shows $104 but out of stock.
    Whalen 5-Shelf Audio/Video Tower, Brown Cherry - Walmart.com »

What gives?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Listing on Amazon costs zero if the item doesn't sell and there are a lot of greedy people out there, Target and Walmart are likely around the intended reasonable retail price.

3. GuildX700

I understand that, but look at the price swings on Amazon for what is pretty much the same sellers in those price trackers. It is just all over the map.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Perhaps it's just their software causing the swings, a lot of big sellers have their pricing fully automated so one random price and everyone follows suit, I occasionally see similar with music.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

When I see that kind of insanity among cds for sale, I always wonder if the guy who is asking $300 knows that someone else lists the same disk for $30.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Don't get me started, I just assume they are on drugs, but the problem now is that new people open shops and think that the Amazon/Discogs pricing is reliable, I was in a new shop this week and the prices were insane, 2-3 times other local shops, hopefully they last long enough to learn to price things properly to sell and that online prices aren't based on the real world.

bluesky and John B Good like this.
  7. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Put the item in your Amazon cart. Check back every 2-3 days to see if they have lowered the price to entice you to buy. This often saves me 10-25%, but patience is required.

2channelforever likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In the UK we have Flubit.

9. GuildX700

This is what I'm doing with this unit. The price spread is so wide I'll just wait until I hit the sweet spot.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.