"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member

Have you had a previous drama with Burning Shed ?

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

Nope. Love 'em.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

For some strange reason I thought Wilson and Burning Shed are connected somehow ?
    Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.
    When it comes down to it, it's basically putting a CD securely in an padded bag ....... you would think it's pretty hard to stuff that up.

rstamberg likes this.
  4. rstamberg

But some retailers do. And often. Especially with a cardboard-sleeved set coming across the pond. Gotta put it in a box or there's gonna be some damage.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Incorrect. It's neither hard nor expensive to rip hi-rez audio from blu-ray with a Mac. I've been doing it for several years with an older Mac and I'm not remotely a computer whiz.

It's a little more difficult than ripping a CD or regular DVD, but not by much.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Talking Heads 5.1 mixes are every bit as good as any SW 5.1 mixes I've heard.

formu_la likes this.
  7. moops

moops Senior Member

I hear ya .... if only CD Japan could pack all our orders.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

They were Porcupine Tree's official distributor. Leeza herself told me so.

moops likes this.
  9. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Personally, I'd love any Yes album getting the deluxe treatment, except for OYE and Union. And I'm happy w/ the dvd-a of Mag I already have, so don't need that. Oh- or the last two studio albums that bore the Yes name, which in my sometimes-closed-mind are not real Yes albums. And I think Progeny was akin to the deluxe edition of Yessongs.

Well, as great as SW is, he's not the only game in town. ELP kept their series going after SW left- even if only for 1 album. Sure wish they'd do Pictures and Welcome Back...

rd1 likes this.
  10. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

That's great! If you don't mind, could you tell me which drive and software you use? Reviews I've read were all over the map.

11. Is this slated to be DVD-A and separate Blu-ray audio edition too like all the others?

12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yep. 1 blu ray/3 cds or 2 dvd-audio /2 cds.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Is that Madonna ?:winkgrin::D:p

14. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Yessssss:righton::wave:

15. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

A bit threadcrapping (sorry for this!) but is there a player capable of playing both DVD-A and BlueRay ?

16. rstamberg

This!

Although, in fairness, I've received a couple of packages from CD Japan over many years that were clearly "done up" en route, presumably by postal carriers, customs folk, and anyone else involved the gentle guidance of my CDs to their welcoming new home right here in Connecticut.

Now, most of us know how well CD Japan packs their wares and my issues clearly were not the result of any fault on their part. But here's the odd thing: In both instances—maybe three, actually ... oooh—the fellow handling this sort of thing was unusually brusk and close to downright accusatory towards me in his e-mails ... as if I had something to do with the damage having occurred ... or something weird like that. In the last instance he queried me strongly as to why I would keep shopping there if this "keeps happening" or something like that. I've put it down to badly translated English because it's so strange and makes no sense. I live to give CD Japan my money and write about it here.

Oh, and so as to stay on topic, CD Japan sells really good Yes discs of all sorts ... and has lots of different ones, too.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have one but it's a discontinued Denon flagship universal player, the Denon DVD-A1UDCI. I believe there are others out there.

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Universal players such as Marantz models play both formats.

cordobaman and Lownote30 like this.
  19. rstamberg

Many of them.
    Look for "Universal Players" in a Web search. Lots of folk 'round here like Oppo's wares as they're reasonably priced and well built, including an almost complete spectrum of playback capabilities. I have an Oppo but my main player is a very-similar-in-its-playback-capabilities Cambridge Audio Universal Player. Oh, both of my players decode HDCDs, too, if you're so inclined. I love Universal Players, especially region-free editions, which'll play anything from anywhere. Be careful with those, though. Make sure you can routinely upgrade your Blu-ray-Disc player without wiping the region-free settings or you'll have to re-set them yourself after every update, so you must make certain you get instructions for that should you decide to go that route.

And then buy the new TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS Blu-ray Audio Disc & Bonus CD set ... and keep this thread on topic. I'm trying!

20. rstamberg

Same here.
    And most Blu-ray Disc playback software for Mac can be had cheaply or gratis. I will say ripping from Blu-ray Discs can be iffy sometimes, but usually everything goes as planned. I use AnyMP4 Mac Blu-ray Player software for playback and usually use Audio Hijack software to pull the audio. I've even grabbed all the audio from the Japanese Blu-ray Disc of BEATLES 1 via this method. Gotta mention how great Audio Hijack is. As long as you can hear it, you can download it into any audio format and resolution you'd like. Inexpensive, too.

Buy TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, don't illicitly download it, please.

marcb and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

[QUOTE="rstamberg, post: 14724764, member: 2974"

And then buy the new TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS Blu-ray Audio Disc & Bonus CD set ... and keep this thread on topic. I'm trying![/QUOTE]
    That's what I had in mind.
    Thanks !!!

rstamberg likes this.
  22. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Thanks a lot !!!

eelkiller likes this.
  23. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Which drive do you use?

24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Oppo

Tristero likes this.
  25. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Yamaha BD-A1040.......this machine is incredible and all you need for digital audio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.