What was your introduction to Elvis Presley's Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

When I was a little kid in the early or mid 60s, I knew that there was this singer named "Elvis" out there(thanks to the Bozo cartoons that had a dog named Elvis), and I was curious. Then I saw an Elvis movie trailer, and I thought "So THAT'S his name! Elvis PARSLEY!". Kinda wanted to be like him after that, but didn't follow his music. When he died, I didn't think he'd been a big deal creatively, thinking he'd only done what people like Bill Haley had been doing already, only becoming more famous because he wiggled his hips. Then I saw the "Jailhouse Rock" number(Shown the night he'd died) and I really appreciated him. A few years later, I saw the '68 special, and I thought "Wow! Elvis DID do something good after he got out of the Army!" But it took me a while to appreciate the 70s concerts, where Elvis gave super human conviction to even some not-so-great later appearances.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

:laugh: That is fantastic! I love it!

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In the mid-sixties , i had a friend who was a couple of years older than myself (1965: I was 8, he was about 10). He loved the American "people" and had a distaste for all the British stuff. he made it uncool for me to like The Beatles if you can believe that. Whenever I'd go over he'd play albums either by The Four Seasons, Jay and The Americans or Elvis..not even GOOD Elvis...the movie stuff. To me, this was a huge turnoff, Elvis-wise and made me really look at him as a lame nothing.

When I moved away from my buddy, I met up with a whole new group of friends (this was late '67) who loved The Beatles; this marked my true beginning of buying Beatle albums and the other bands Beatle music took me to . By the very late 60's, early 70's I'd become an album obsessive of Beatles, CCR, Stones, Who, etc.

No Elvis.

Then, a commercial started to come on TV from RCA for a double LP Elvis album of some of his greatest hits. For some particular reason I took notice. My sister noticed that i took notice and bought me the album for Christmas. Finally, I began to fall in love with him totally of my own accord devoid of anyone's influence or lack thereof. As the 70's progressed, along with my love for the Brit-Rock that had taken over my album buying, i had an interest in Elvis "on the side".

I began digging into his 50's stuff including the Sun years...started reading some books on him and even developed an appreciation for some of his movie songs as well as his late 60's-early 70's material. As i watched the "Comeback" special on TV airings or video tape, i fell in love with the charisma of this man.

Today, I have the greatest of respect for what Elvis gave us. While I still don't own any movie albums, I have the complete 50's sessions box set as well as various latter day compilations. The man is a treasure and in a class totally all his own.

clhboa, Shawn and NumberEight like this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I was an American child of the '60s. Elvis was everywhere.

5. I was born in 1984, so it was probably 1995 or so before I ever owned any Elvis music. I bought an abridged version of Elvis A Legendary Performer on cassette at Target for either $3.99 or $4.99.

6. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I had heard his songs now and again on the radio growing up, but I really got into him after my mom bought The Top Ten Hits.
    [​IMG]

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I heard "Hound Dog" on the radio in 1956.

8. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

In the 1980's oldies stations still played oldies, so you'd hear Heartbreak Hotel and Jailhouse Rock all the time. My mom got a VHS called "Elvis and Me" or something like that, about Elvis and Priscilla and it had some concert footage from the late 70's.

The first Elvis CD I bought was Golden Records Vol 5 from BMG record club. I listened over and over again to Kentucky Rain, "Seven lonely days and a dozen town's ago I reached out one night and you were gone," is one of my favorite opening verses to any song.

Rick H., Shawn and NumberEight like this.
  9. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I am not a fan of Elvis. But I did go to see the movie "The Way It Is" back in 1970. I moved him onto my occasional play list, and bought the live album from the film, and some of his singles. I like Burning Love, In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, and some of the covers he did in concert.

10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

As a very young kid I went with some of my family to Graceland. It got me interested and I borrowed some of my mothers tapes and I would talk to my grandmother, a huge Elvis fan, about him. It was the first music I was ever interested in.

11. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You've captured some of Elvis there. Thank you for posting!

12. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Hound Dog 1956, My parents bought it for me. I was 8 years old. IMO, the best 2 sided single. The 1st record I ever owned. Thank You, Elvis.

13. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I was born in 1970 but knew him from TV before he died and I like his songs particularly Hound Dog and Heartbreak Hotel so yes I was a fan before he died ...just not long before he died and not the most sophisticated fan :)

14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

As a wee young lad, the 1973-74 TV ads for the Elvis mail-order compilation - a hoot to hear snippets of his 1956-62 hits with pics from his 1973 Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite concert during the course thereof. Heard his records on the radio (mostly WCBS-FM) not long afterwards.

15. Emperor of Mount Victoria

Emperor of Mount Victoria Forum Resident

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Hound Dog b/w Don't Be Cruel

17. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

My friends mum used to play Elvis albums a lot (and loudly too), this was in the 70s probably not long before he died. Whether this was the first time I'd heard of him I really can't remember.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My introduction to Elvis was through a kid in my 4th grade class (way back then) who called himself Elvis Pretzels, and who sang Hound Dog. That got me into Elvis Presley. The kid's real name was Buzzy Clark. I always wanted to thank him.

19. PaulKTF

What kind of sadistic parents name their kid "Buzzy"?!

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Most names, when I was a kid, were what the kid decided it would be. He (or she) signed school papers that way, so it became official as far as the kid's world existed. Many times, it stuck for life.

21. PaulKTF

Wow, really? At my school you signed things with your name. Sure, you had nicknames, but people still called you by your real name. :)

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Of course, if your name was Paul, that would be the case. But who ever called a kid William or Theodore? Once nicknames became acceptable, there were many possibilities. And families often used nicknames.

23. PaulKTF

Like how everyone called Theodore Cleaver "Beaver"? :)

24. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG] ....not the best, but it did the job.
    At least until my dad accidentally broke record 2. He felt so bad about it, he had to search high 'n' low for a replacement copy.

1. Hound Dog
    2. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
    3. All Shook Up
    4. Don't
    5. I Beg Of You
    6. A Big Hunk O' Love
    7. Love Me
    8. Stuck On You
    9. Good Luck Charm
    10. Return To Sender
    11. Don't Be Cruel
    12. Loving You
    13. Jailhouse Rock
    14. Can't Help Falling In Love
    15. I Got Stung
    16. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
    17. Love Me Tender
    18. Hard Headed Woman
    19. It's Now Or Never
    20. Surrender

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  25. PaulKTF

Hey at least he replaced it! That's more than a lot of fathers would do!

zen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.