OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks to everyone for sharing such great info!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    pscreed and tmtomh like this.
  2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Some have mentioned that the GUI method will rip the ISO, is this true and how? I don't see that option.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, I saw that and used it. Thank you so much for doing it! If you're on a Mac, it's a lot more convenient than firing up BootCamp or a Windows emulator.

Also, just to clarify for those who are asking, you do not need to worry about Putty or Telnet access. Many of us are getting the "connection refused" error when trying to telnet into our machines, and it doesn't matter at all - it's not necessary for SACD ripping, and it's not part of the process.

Telnet was used by the developers when they were working out the Autoscript stuff. It's also a way of helping to check ahead of time to see whether your setup will work - but as we've seen, it's not a reliable indicator, so there's really no need for any end-user to even mess with telnet.

JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The GUI gives options for the output format, and raw ISO is one of them. Here's a screenshot I found online. This is of the Windows version, but the Mac version has the same basic layout and controls. Please note that the annotations in this image are not for SACD ripping (they are for converting an ISO after you've ripped it).

But the point is, you can see on the righthand side, under "Options," there's an "Output Mode" menu (right beneath the "Channel Mode" menu). In this screenshot it's set to "Sony DSF," but "raw ISO" is another available option once you click on that button.
    [​IMG]

5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

You are correct this option does exist....helpful for those (like myself) who want to archive a disk for multi channel at a future point in time. I'll compare speeds when I hardware my computer to the LAN....doing this wireless is fairly slow.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Doing this LAN vs Wireless wont make a huge difference. This rip still took about 20 minutes but WAY easier than PS3 method (if you own one that still works!)

Processing [Roxy Music - The Best Of.iso] (1/1)..
    Completed: 100% (3047.0MB), Total: 100% (3047.0MB) at 2.88MB/sec

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I'm having problems today with the process freezing. The OPPO hangs, and I have to reboot it, after 300-400MB are transferred. I've restarted the PC and done a cold reboot of the player. Restarted the rip now. We shall see! I'll try rebooting the router next, as it may well be the choke point.

One change from yesterday is that I've been trying to output ISO. Could large file sizes be part of the problem? Unfortunately, now things hang whether I'm outputting ISO or individual tracks.

8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I know that when I used my PS3 I only ripped a few at a time them waited so as not to overheat the device. Maybe take the OPPO top off while doing this? Just an idea...you DONT want to fry your OPPO...

JediJoker likes this.
  9. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

After multiple rips under the MacOS via wifi (about 2mbps/sec; Audio Fidelity "Spectrum" takes maybe 6 or 7 mins to rip), my 105D isn't warm at all. If not for the video output/screen display, I wouldn't even be able to tell that it's on! :)

So happy that I can load .ISO files in Audirvana and feed DSD directly to my Marantz. This really is a game-changer!

THANK YOU very much for this info/your post! :righton:

10. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Sorry if this a big dumb question: for multi channel mode archiving, should I use Phillips DSDIFF or Sony DSF? Both work w/Audirvana & my Marantz HD-DAC1, but the Sony DSF files are 3+ times as large as the Philips DSDIFF ones.

Further, provided I save an .ISO image and multi-channel files, there's nothing else to archive, right?

11. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I haven't noticed a significant size increase between file types. I only use Stereo as my extract, it may be different for Multi channel

12. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I don't have a multi channel setup, and I doubt I ever will, but I want to archive just-in-case. Definitely a huge diff (pun!??) in file size. Doing a multi channel rip of the first track off "Spectrum", I have either a 153MB Phillips DSDIFF or a 474MB Sony DSF. Both load fine in Audirvana, but the DSDIFF file appears to be being decoded in real-time, i.e. I can't scroll to the end of the track. The Sony DSF file loads in full. I think I'll roll w/the Sony DSF. It may not mean much, but .dsf (as opposed to .dff) is the extension used by Acoustic Sounds for DSD downloads.

13. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I guess that I have been lucky but I run my 2 PS3s all day, ripping 50 or so SACDs without taking any breaks. The get lots of ventilation, run warm but still OK.

14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I know it would not account for such a size difference, but see if both formats carry the Metadata. That could be one of the reasons why.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah but the PS3 is notorious for overheating and when it does, it dies...however mine is sold and I have a buyer coming to take it away for a fair price of $140. The OPPO never fails to impress. I also downloaded the beta firmware with the intention of installing it but didn't want to risk some change to stop this new feature enhancement!

tmtomh and Simon A like this.
  16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

As I said, I installed the beta firmware and ripping still works without any problems. I don't believe that there is any difference between the US and the EU beta firmware.

JediJoker, SamS and tmtomh like this.
  17. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I see here that Sony DSF files are metadata-capable:

DSD file format ยป

I wonder if the Phillips .dff files are compressed somehow? Just ripped Hancock's "Thrust" and the file size difference is (literally) massive: 'Palm Grease' is 396.9mb DFF vs. 1.13GB DSF.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. Kal Rubinson

I know. As I said, I consider myself lucky as they have been working for months this way but, now, they can share the load with my Oppos.

19. Kal Rubinson

Adapted from grill's original text:

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the unzipped AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the iso2dsd_PC_v7 (from Sonore iso2DSD) unzipped folder files to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped.

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume (or similar) in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should open. You can leave your USB stick in your player (it doesn't matter).

5) Insert an SACD and close the tray. Wait until the player recognizes the disc.

6) Run iso2dsd_gui.exe from the driveon your PC. Select Server Input from topleft. Select Raw ISO as the Output Mode. Enter the IP address of your player (from Step 1) in the IP Address Port window*. Click on Execute. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

7) When dsd2iso indicates Done, eject disc and repeat from Step 5 (or click Quit).

8) Remove USB stick and reboot to return to normal player use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The options for Channel Mode and Convert DST to DSD are irrelevant for ripping to ISO. I recommend clicking on Print to get a track listing in iso2dsd before ripping begins.

20. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

Thank You everybody for sharing your experiences regarding the SACD ripping.

From what I have gathered - I can safely rip any SACD.
    However I have some doubts.
    Could anyone please help me to make it clearer?

1) What format can SACDs be ripped into?
    Iso - cannot be read by Oppo 105.
    Can SACDs be ripped into dff and/or DSD files? Which format is best for streaming and playback from NAS?

2) Is it possible to rip a SACD into a single file (dff or DSD)? If not - there will be a problem with gapless playback - since it is not suppotted via streaming.

3) If a SACD is ripped into a single file - what about its cue sheet? Can it be done easily with this method?

4) What about the playback of multichannel SACDs - has anyone encountered any problems?

5) Is it better to rip firstly into iso and then into dff or dsd?

I will be very grateful for comment and help.

21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Best to rip to ISO, as that's an exact copy of the entire SACD layer of the disc and because it's a simple, straight rip, puts the least wear on the Oppo. From there, you can use the same ISO2DSD app that ripped the SACD, to convert the ISO to DSF, create a CUE sheet for track splitting, and so on.

PhantomStranger and JediJoker like this.
  22. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

So ISO2DSD takes care of all this?

But - is it possible to rip a SACD.iso into a single file (dff or DSD)? If not - there will be a problem with gapless playback - since Oppo does not support it via streaming?
    What format is better dff or DSD or DSF?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  23. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Could you elaborate on that please? I thought that the app did the conversion and that the Oppo is basically used as a transport. Am I wrong to think that?

24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I think all the conversion happens in the app and there is absolutely no diff in load to the Oppo.

Simon A likes this.
  25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I think the idea here is that if you rip the ISO once, then you can part ways with the SACD if so inclined and never need it again for future extracts. After you have an ISO you can then extract the stereo or multi track and a format of your choice (DFF/DSF) from the ISO file.

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.