Would Brian Jones Be The Center Of Attention In The Stones Universe 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Hard to find anything wrong with any of this.

MHP, ssmith3046 and Purple Jim like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Bill's book "A Stone Alone" lays all that out very clearly, how Mick and Keith were stunned by Brian when they saw him playing live in that Richmond blues club. Stunned also when they came back to their shared house one day to find Briam had quickly learnt to play fantastic blues harp. It was Brian also who pretty well adopted the role of manager in the very early days, writing letters to the BBC and various clubs and halls to get gigs. He handled the money also and took a bigger cut than the others because of his efforts (which was resented by the rest of the band).

Aftermath, zelox, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

would, could, should, would have happened...

this is all fiction. :crazy:

I'd like a time machine then to save my own life from becoming what it is today then please. :cry:

MHP and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:edthumbs:
    No it's cool. You were saying it in general. No problem. Your insights on the topic of discussion are extremely insightful.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

:)
    We all would.

6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Probably not.
    The Stones evolved they way they did because they didn't have Brian. New members were introduced, who influenced the direction in their own way. If Brian had stayed in the band, the band would have evolved in a different way. Maybe not as good. Maybe the same. Could have even been better. Who knows? What I do know is that some of what they did without him has been amazing. And some rather ordinary. Just like when he was in the band.

7. Dave Hoos

Nice of you to say. I know that there's a lot of people on this forum who are very knowledgeable about the Stones in general and Brian Jones in particular, but also some who don't know much about the early years. The Stanley Booth book, True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones and Paul Trynka's recent Jones bio, together give, in my opinion, the best and most researched look at the Stones from their inception, to Jones' death. They both give a glimpse of exactly how important he was to the Stones, without shying away from the more unsavoury aspects of his (and the others) character.

Has any other band had as interesting a story as the Stones during the '60's? Or have a legion of fans so fractious and divisive?

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hearing ya big time.

Any forum I've been on there is always someone that knows more than everyone and of course way more than I do.

Some know it alls are nasty and try to embarrass someone that doesn't know as much as them or other commenters on a thread.

Than there are know it alls that will correct a less knowledgable person in a friendly nice way and educate them with their vast knowledge.

I respect everyone's opinion agreed or disagreed, trust me I get schooled on these forums regularly. That's how I learn more and more about music I love and dislike it opens my mind to all music.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Did you like Wymans novel Stone alone I believe its called.

9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

It's all down to what you personally prefer. A 1st gen fan is likely to see Brian different than someone who came along during the Woody years, for example.
    To witness the Gong as it's crashed vs. hearing the echo is what that's about...
    I'm glad they still talk about him. ...he really did make a dent, y'know.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That rings a bell. He was certainly bothered about being frozen out by his own bandmates though.

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Depends on how much hair "Mr. Shampoo" would have left.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Brian always creates awesome discussion in music forums albeit Hoffman alike.

13. Dave Hoos

No problem. Yes, I do like Bill's Stone Alone. From memory, it can get bogged down in too much detail in some aspects, but it does have a ring of truth about it that Keith's Life, sometimes lacks. That's my take on it, anyway.

Philip Norman's The Stones, is another really good read.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  14. Dave Hoos

Absolutely.

DTK and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  15. Dave Hoos

I actually first discovered and then became obsessed with the Stones in March 1982. I was Thirteen. The material that drew me in, that connected with me straight away...was the early stuff. So I was listening to Brian Jones era Stones when "Start Me Up" and "Waiting On A Friend" were getting played on the radio.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, in order for to have been part of the center, a lot would have had to have gone differently.

1. Basically, Andrew's conviction that they needed to write songs to remain successful in the long run was correct. In order to avoid ending up as a footnote in rock history, they could not remain a blues cover band. Brian would have needed to "be cool with that" and not let it affect his performance or personal life (see #2 below).

2. He would have needed to stay sober. Keith could handle his drugs; Brian couldn't. He would have needed to stay clean, as he apparently didn't do things in moderation, and he needed to continue contributing.

3. He would have needed to avoid the legal issues that prevented him from entering the US.

If he could have continued, just playing slide and harmonica and contributing those exotic touches from time to time, he'd still be a star. He was always charismatic.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I became aware of them when Satisfaction hit and was given Big Hits in mono but didn't take to them until Satanic Majesties, bought just on the cover alone but loved the music inside even more. Still my fave. They were never more experimental than here IMO.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

BIG TIME !!

lennonfan1 likes this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Satanic Majesties Request is their most underrated, misunderstood album. They weren't just aping The Beatles here. Pretty much every major band went through some sort of psychedelic phase at that point and The Stones tackled theirs with raw gusto and invention. They had some very unique, exotic textures going on there and it was the last time that Brian really delivered a lot of key contributions throughout. Of course, that style couldn't last and I love what they came up with next, but I still think Satanic gets short shrift from many, though it has its core of fans as well.

Classicolin, 905 and Dave Hoos like this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've read three chapters of Paul Trynka's bio of Jones so far and really enjoying it. A must read for a Stones fan IMO. We'll researched and very entertaining.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Would Brian Jones Be The Center Of Attention In The Stones Universe 2016?

Yes, I suppose he would... in a Weekend At Bernie's kind of way.

D.D.

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Mmmmmmmmmm.....Interesting way of looking at it. Good movie though, funny to.

24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Brian, I'd like to introduce you to Syd Barrett. Syd's just recently left his band the Pink Floyd, and Brian is very interested in improvisational music and has been getting a kick out of playing the saxophone. Hey while you guys are here, come with me, I want you to meet Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt. I think you guys will have a lot in common...

My favorite fantasy supergroup.

25. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

You are obviously profound, and brilliant, in your mind.

The irony is that your comments are lost on me. In the context of my original post, which was just opinion related to the thread starters question, your two and three word responses make no sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.