OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

From an archival perspective I agree it's probably best to hang onto the .iso, and convert to other formats from there.

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  2. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

Can anyone please enlighten me?

So far, there is no way to extract SACD.iso into one single ddf/dsf file?
    Am I right?

Therefore, there is no way for gapless playback of SACD rips from NAS?
    Am I right?

3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I am seeing references to a program called dsdmerge but cannot find a download site. I run my DSD files from my Synology using Minimserver to my OPPO via SMB which I believe overcomes the gapless issue.

tmtomh and Percivale like this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I understand. I have a hard drive for my Mono/Stereo and one for my Multichannel content so I rip everything I need directly to DSF. I dhave no need for ISO files.

My question was more about tmtmoh's statement that ripping to DSF in one go put s more wear on the Oppo. I was wondering how much more wear was actually talked about here.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

My assumption was that this person was referring to the possibility of multiple rips for stereo and multichannel to different formats, in this case there is less wear. Otherwise, I would be somewhat surprised if ripping to DSF was more taxing than ripping to ISO as well. However in the end, I would be putting far less wear either way as I would rip once or twice and never have the need to use the transport of the OPPO again...I rarely play anything physical these days.

tmtomh and Simon A like this.
  6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Before I knew about ISO2DSD, I was thinking I would need to run the Windows CLI. Thankfully, it's not necessary and the GUI is very straightforward to use. No need for CrossOver at all.
    Yes, the player is used as a transport only, but there is no buffer on the computer frontend side as far as I know. Therefore, the player continues to spin and buffer on its end as long as the computer frontend is requesting a data stream. Because extracting to ISO involves no transcoding, it should be the quickest option, putting load on the player for the shortest time. Once you have the ISO on the computer, you can extract whatever file format(s) you want without fear of overheating/overloading the player. Rotational and solid state hard disks are far more robust.
    I don't think ISO2DSD or any form of sacd_extract offers this functionality, but there are surely other applications (XLD or dBpoweramp, perhaps?) that can take in multiple DSD files (DFF or DSF) and output a single file with a cue sheet. I can test XLD later.

tmtomh, HiFi Guy 008 and Simon A like this.
  7. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That is the equivalent of wanting a single flac file for a complete disc.
    To those not wanting to keep the .iso image, it would be prudent and is common practice to use them as the archival backup.
    I'm not an alarmist but hard drives do fail and until I can get synchronous Internet service I keep at least one backup of everything I've ripped.
    Just my 2 centavos.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

So, to play gaplessly your DSD files from NAS - additionally you have to have your PC turned on with Minimserver soft??

9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

My Synology NAS will automatically backup daily to Azure blog storage which costs $7 a month....and I get a $50 credit with my MSDN account...this is the ultimate cloud storage backup solution.

I don't know many people, if any that demand synchronous backup soltuions...in my opinion this is a tad bit overkill.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    JediJoker likes this.
  10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

No the Synology will run Minimserver so you don't have to run a computer for this feature. The single best friends of any OPPO owner are using a Synology NAS with Minimserver and their Media App for my iPad. This way I can control all my songs and playback without the need for an intermediate computer. I did a lot of research on this and I find that this combo works best for me....now with the ability to rip SACD directly from my OPPO, I have to say without question it is the best investment I have made in digial playback. In fact I will now consider upgrading my OPPO 105 as its value has just increase overnight.

11. pscreed

That sounds very interesting... I have a couple of Synology NAS also, can you tell me what package you are using for this cloud backup?

TIA!

12. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

Thank you cyclistsb for your answer.

This Minimserver has some option to resolve the problem of gapless playback of DSD (and flac) files from NAS???

13. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Continuing to rip away and learning some things as I blunder along.

Today, I was not able to rip a single SACD start to finish. Anywhere from 200-750MB, the data stream would just stop. Something choking. I rebooted everything (router, extender, PC, OPPO several times) and tried everything I could think of, with no luck.

Because the symptoms seemed very router-esque, I wondered if changing the IP address on the OPPO would help. I had assigned the IP address manually yesterday as I was trying to get everything up and going. So I went back in, told the player to find an IP address automatically (DHCP), noted the address, and put that in the IP Address field in the GUI (port 2002 I left unchanged, of course). That seemed to do the trick. No more choking, at least for the last couple of SACDs (touch wood). I don't know exactly why the change I made did the trick--if in fact that's what did it, though that seems pretty certain. But it is interesting nonetheless.

One thing this great experiment has revealed to me is that I have far more SACDs than I remembered having. Another thing I've learned is that these SACDs sound wonderful when played back through my little Fiio X3II. Next stop will be loading them all onto an external hard drive to play from the OPPO itself. Exciting times ahead.

JackBnimble, JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Their Hyper Backup feature allows for Azure Blob backups. I was wrong about the price, my 500GB costs $15 a month but since I get $50 credit I don't actually pay. If you really wanted to be frugal, then put all your ISOs in a folder and just back those up and not the extracted DSF files.

15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Pick up a couple WD Red drives and Amazon.com: Synology NAS DiskStation (DS216j): Computers & Accessories » and hard wire it to your OPPO for best results (using a switch is fine but avoid the wireless, I got a lot of jitter)

This will change the way you deal with digital music if you own an OPPO. By far the best purchase I made last year...this year it was a Bryston 4B3 but that is for another thread...

JediJoker likes this.
  16. pscreed

Unreal. Do you know I work in enterprise IT, we are running workloads in both Azure and AWS and I had no clue this capability was in my NAS :(

Thanks for the info appreciate it.

17. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Just make sure your ISP doesn't charge for monthly upload bandwidth. Otherwise, this is a great solution to a problem that most spend lots of time and effort trying to solve.

pscreed likes this.
  19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I use the OPPO media app but looks like they have an Android one OPPO MediaControl for BDP-10x - Android Apps on Google Play »

20. Gardo

Just ripped Billy Joel 52nd St. SACD (2ch + mch) ISO. ISO2DSD reported an error when I tried to extract the files from the ISO: TOC couldn't be read. Anyone else see errors like this?

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I've seen a few odd ball errors when ripping and extracting files. You might want to try to extract from the line command program and see what happens?

Gardo likes this.
  22. Gardo

Good idea; I'll give that a go.

cyclistsb likes this.
  23. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

24. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

MinimServer is probably something you have been looking for.

From what cyclistsb writes -it allows gapless playback and you don't have to start your PC.

25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

When played using the Minimserver you will get gapless playback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.