Classic MTV Returns!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mr_mjb1960, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

That's what we did. Played it like a radio. In fact my brother had MTV in stereo hooked up to his receiver and I used to tape cassettes off MTV much like people taped off the radio. It was awesome!

I remember the first video I ever saw was Pete Townshend "Face Dances Part 2".

hi_watt, LSP2003, chilinvilin and 3 others like this.
  2. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

Didn't you see him in the promo?

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die! Thread Starter

The Radio MTV Sticker the Station gave out told the Subscriber where MTV was on their FM dial,so they know where to tune in!

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and hi_watt like this.
  5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

If you guys haven't read it, I strongly recommend I WANT MY MTV, the oral history of the network. Fantastic reading for anyone interested in the era.

You guys have been talking about Martha Quinn - there's one comment in the book about how the most common question from visitors to the network (Musicians, execs, etc) was, "How can I f___ Martha Quinn?" :laugh:

6. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Trust me, don't let the "girl next door" thing fool you about her, she was extremely difficult to work with, especially once we became #1 in late 1984...

7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

How weird is this? Yesterday I perused that site for awhile. Looked at among other things the vintage MTV t-shirts. Last night at work some dude comes in with an old, faded "I Want My MTV" t-shirt. Something I haven't seen in decades. Weird.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Are you enjoying your time in The Twilight Zone? :)

MikaelaArsenault and Wally Swift like this.
  9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

When I read the I WANT MY MTV book around 2012, I found a playlist on youtube that was the first 8 or 12 hours of mtv programming, in order with all the VJ breaks and promos and music. At the time I had a roku2 that didn't need HDMI, so I plugged it into my old 21" SDTV.

It was glorious. So many things I had just read in the book about mistakes, silly things, the first videos, etc.

God bless youtube. Sadly, I don't think most of that playlist is still around - I haven't checked in awhile, though.

10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I was always an Alan Hunter guy. Maybe not so much now, but when I was like 10, he was my favorite. In my teens, it was Tabitha Soren. Sweet, sweet, Tabs.

All of the original VJ's take turns on Sirius XM's 80's channel, and have their own Facebook pages. I remember in the 80's Martha Quinn played Bobby Brady's wife in one of those Brady movies. I think he was paralyzed after a race car accident. Thrilling!

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And... reading that book... You probably understand that it wasn't difficult as it might have seemed if you were the right kind of person...

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It's nothing other than rebranding.

13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Not too much change so far in the Guide, I like 120 min but its the same shows over and over. Not worth to upgrade the cable package. All the stuff is on YouTube

14. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Wish it or even vh 1, was available in Canada.
    I found it a little funny that here, in one of the hottest summers in years, I can't find the video of 'The Heat Is On' on YT.

MikaelaArsenault and Stuart S like this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Rather than a return of MTV, I'd rather see introduction of a music video channel like Country Music Television (not the music but the format). Country Music Television had a very simple format: Station ID, run three music videos, Station ID, commercial break (repeat 24/7). No on-screen personalities (just a voice over during the Station ID), no hype, no contests, just a lot of music videos. The only change was the occasional focus on an artist for a half hour.

MikaelaArsenault, Karnak and jsayers like this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That would be awesome! I'd go for that.

17. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The one by Glenn Frey or the one by Agentha Fältskog?

MikaelaArsenault and Karnak like this.
  18. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

MTV has gotten so bad that they felt the need to bring back the old format?
    Great, brilliant idea.

19. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It really won't be the old format- just old shows and probably clips meant to target an older demographic than the regular MTV channel.

21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

TVLine reports that starting on August 1, VH1 Classic will be no more. Instead, Viacom will replace it with MTV Classic, which will feature “an eclectic mix of fan-favorite MTV series” from the 1990s and 2000s. These include Laguna Beach, Beavis & Butt-head, Cribs,Jackass, Punk’d and Clone High. August 1 will be 35 years to the day that MTV debuted.

MTV President Sean Atkins said: “MTV’s programming vault is a music and pop culture goldmine with universal resonance. MTV Classic gives audiences a modern and artful home for classic MTV programming and — alongside MTV, MTV2, MTV Live and mtvU — rounds out a diverse portfolio with music and youth culture at its core.

At 12 PM ET on Monday, MTV will re-air MTV Hour One, along with the Total Request Livespecial The TRL Decade. There will also be a marathon of some of the best MTVUnplugged episodes, including Bob Dylan, Alice in Chains, Erykah Badu, Oasis, Neil Young and Nirvana. The network will also include music videos.

jsayers and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Hey, an Unplugged marathon! Cool! :)

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Vh1 Classic got unwatchable. I'm all for this. It would be nice if they reached back a little further and aired Just Say Julie and Remote Control.

Here is their schedule. There are still some VH1 Classic shows on the schedule, for example, they are playing Queen Rocks Montreal for the millionth time.

VH1 Classic TV Schedule | TWC Central »

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    clhboa and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm bummed to see they are not focusing on the 80s, which I think is what most people would think of when you say "classic MTV". But I'm looking very forward to seeing that first hour. I've only ever seen it on bad YouTube clips.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I assume they will eventually mix in 80's shows too. :)

MikaelaArsenault and mmars982 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.