"Bewitched" vs. "I Dream of Jeannie"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Galaga King, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hmmm, if Jeanie and Samantha go up against each other in a steel cage death match, who would come out alive? Samantha's got the age advantage (I think only about 250 years old vs. 2000), but Jeannie is arguably hotter.

GuildX700 likes this.
  2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Bewitched! In one of many great and hilarious episodes, here Billy Mumy guest stars as Darrin turned into a boy by Endora. It cracks me up because Mumy actually does look like a young Dick York might look, and he plays the part feisty just like grown-up Darrin! Great casting.

[​IMG]

Scooterpiety and Benno123 like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bewitched. Especially with Darren #1.

goodiesguy and Benno123 like this.
  4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Definitely Jeannie for me. Hagman and Daley made a nice comedy team -- Hagman was surprisingly good at slapstick falls. And Hayden Rorke was a fine farceur -- his WTF expression is priceless.

I never really found Bewitched all that funny, aside from an occasional moment from Paul Lynde. It's really more interesting for its sociological symbolism, as the powerful woman represses her talents to live as a housewife in suburbia. Maybe that's why it was so popular with women, and ran so long.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

GoodKitty likes this.
  6. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've been watching both series on Antenna TV (this actually inspired me to buy I Dream Of Jeannie on DVD- I already had Bewitched) and I'm really enjoying them both equally now that I've seen a little more of I Dream Of Jeannie than I've been able to see in the past.

It's clever, funny, and Barbara Eden looks stunning in every episode.

(Replace "Barbara Eden" with "Elizabeth Montgomery " and you have my feelings about Bewitched). :)

8. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Bewitched for me. The supporting characters were great and it was a funnier sitcom. Jeannie was one of my least favorite sitcoms from that era.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Bewitched, for me.

10. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Bewitched for me as well....but only if it's Darren # 1 ....

Darren # 2 was way too much of a stiff...

11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

It's strange, I would think that the writers of IDOJ would have noticed what Bewitched was doing with it's supporting cast and have built a great supporting cast of it's own. I mean Phil Harris as a mischievous male genie could have pulled of some fantastic repeated performances. Agnes Moorehead and Paul Lynde were inspired casting on Bewithed that make this whole comparison between the two a joke.

12. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Elizabeth Montgomery.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

14. Dan Kennedy

Dan Kennedy Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuN7qhBhSIM

And when you pick a movie like A Howling in the Woods, you get all kinds of other interesting "suggestions" on the right side of the screen, like "A Taste Of Evil (1971 TV)", "The Screaming Woman (1972)," and "Night Of Terror (1972 TV)"

The broadcast networks were certainly big on made for TV horror movies in the 1970s.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love them both, but Samantha wins out...

16. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

1. Bewitched (with Dick York)
    2. Bewitched (with Dick Sargent)
    3. The Addams Family
    4. Munsters
    5. I Dream Of Jeannie.

17. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

We Bitched

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You rank the (by and large) terrible Dick Sargent episodes above The Addams Family, The Munsters, and Jeanie?!

Wow!

19. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Bewitched still had Elizabeth Montgomery.
    Also, I was never a fan of the other three. The worst Bewitched episode was better than any Addams Family, The Munsters or I Dream Of Jeannie episode I've seen.

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

"I Dream Of Jeannie".

21. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Jeannie. Major Nelson had a cooler pad and drove the hot Pontiacs usually. Barbara Eden was pure eye candy and they weren't married! Plus Jeannies "evil" sister.

Oh, and nobody beats Gomez/Morticia Addams if we're counting.

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Barbara Eden-the stuff a prepubescent boy's dreams are made of. "Jeannie" all the way.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

*insert "rubbing the lamp" joke here*.

:)

Splungeworthy and Stuart S like this.
  24. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I think Bewitched probably was the better show at least in its first few years, but Jeannie probably was more consistent through its whole run. The whole Dr. Bellows "He's done it to me again" bit use to crack me up to no end.

25. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Liz Montgomery wasn't hard on the eyes either. We sure had some HOT women back in the 60's on TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.