Untalented actors/actresses you love anyway.....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Pinhead, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

.....for whatever reason other than the obvious ¨he/she¨ is hot:)

I must have seen ALL of the movies this guy featured in when I was a kid and then a teen. Basically he played himself in whatever roled he got, but it worked for me. I take it most old farts here recognize him ?:laugh:

[​IMG]

Thwacko likes this.
  2. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

sorry to be pedantic, but when can we finally just call female actors simply "actors." I don't think there needs to be a gender connotation for somebody who 'acts'

royzak2000 and The Pinhead like this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Really? The word 'actress' is somehow disparaging now? :sigh:

At any rate, I'm hard pressed to think of someone untalented that I like. Does Godzilla count?

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It seems polite to me and it's widely accepted as a normal way to refer to women actors. It's so ingrained in society. if I were to say: "Jane Lynch is a great actor" I might get looked at funny, as if I were making an inside insult. Do we really have to change everything to gender neutral, even if it's not the slightest bit offensive and is considered a standard?

Separate thought: Is it biased to refer to a ship or car fondly as a feminine object, as in "She's a beauty" Wouldn't be more proper to say "It's a beauty." Let's get to work on that.

JFS3 and Silken like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sorry to be pedantic, but the first letter of the first word of a sentence should be capitalized and the sentence should end with a period (or question mark, exclamation point or ellipsis). :p
    (waits for someone to take me to task for a self-made faux pas).

I do agree with you in principle, but I can see how a gender specific usage might be useful in identifying the gender of the actor (when that's important). Actress is more concise than female actor.

6. medium Rob

whoa, easy there. Actor seems sufficient to me.. do you refer to your friends as your 'white' friend, or Asian friend, etc. ? Or when recounting a story involving people, do you include their skin color?

edit: I don't think it's disparaging, it just seems unnecessary in this day and age.
    edit: apologies for the inflammatory comment, please proceed.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Maggie likes this.
  7. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

To answer the OP question, I think the gentlemen in the picture is actor Victor Mature. It does look like him, but I could be wrong. I am close to being an old fart. Victor was in The Monkees movie Head.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

One could argue Victor Mature was or wasn't a great actor, but he did have some talent. I thought he was a solid actor.

Very hard to answer this question, maybe an actor in a Ed Wood film would qualify. They were almost all terrible, but they did have charm.

John Wayne created "John Wayne", and always played a variation of "John Wayne" in almost all of his movies. Limited range, debatable. Untalented, not at all.

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Keanu Reeves. I really like the first Matrix film and he was very good in John Wick. I just can't understand why he hasn't worked with a coach after all these years to bring some nuance and power to his speaking voice.

I will give him tons of credit for being one of the nicest and most generous actors around. So much of the good things he does are under the radar and behind the scenes.

googlymoogly, Old Rusty and Ken K like this.
  10. medium Rob

I've only seen Paul Rudd in a few flicks; he's an extremely likable dude, but I haven't seen him play a character that makes me forget that he's Paul Rudd.. are there any films where he plays something outside of his general persona?

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've always like Doug McClure, especially in the b flick sci fi movies even though he was not a great actor by any means I always enjoyed what he brought to the screen.

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Anchorman?;) His Brian Fantana cracks me up!

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

A certain someone named Arnold comes to mind.

DrewHarris, LEONPROFF and Damiano54 like this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Callie Thorne can't act...but who cares?

[​IMG]

Benno123 and The Pinhead like this.
  15. The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences would like a word with you.

16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

As far as acting goes I think he did a great job in Maggie.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Talented or not, Victor Mature was not averse to poking fun at himself in Head and After the Fox.
    This is a just a half mile from my house:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    bluemooze and johnnyyen like this.
  18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I can't think of a single person- if you love them they must have some talent.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What?!? This has nothing to do with race; it's about gender. I still use the words "he" or "she" when referring to someone's gender. Should I start using "it" or "them"? Ridiculous!

MoonPool likes this.
  20. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

From Green Acres!? Loved him but very on dimensional.

21. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Someone with the surname Cruise also comes to mind. Before Eyes Wide Shut was premiered I thought "if someone can pull out something different out of Cruise, that is Kubrick, if he doesn't, no one can". He was still same Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

With the right direction, Schwarzenegger can be a pretty good actor. I actually thought he was good in the most recent Terminator movie, and of course he's excellent in the first two. He also manages to find some complexity in his character in Total Recall.

He's in a different category, acting-wise, than someone like Van Damme, although Van Damme has some charm too.

23. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

There are someplaces you can actually get sued for using the wrong gender pronouns.

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Tim Curry has always been an over the top ham in everything I've seen him in, but I love him anyway.

And, of course, the only real Captain James Tiberius Kirk.

SomeCallMeTim and GodShifter like this.
  25. medium Rob

it was a rough analogy, that's not what I meant. I'm saying that actress is feels like an outdated term, similar to waitress, stewardess, etc. I don't see the problem with using 'actor' for both male and female people that act. edit: and 'other'

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.