Does anyone here listen to electronic music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by middleWave, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I can just throw something at you that is decidedly neither of those things and see if it sticks. it's possibly the least effective way to make recommendations, but without asking you a bunch of questions, why not:

oneohtrix point never, 'problem areas' (from r plus seven, 2013)

2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Do I listen to electronic music? Quite a bit, actually. I bought about 20 CDs for $2 each the other day, lots of the old progressive house stuff from the likes of Sasha and Digweed (including a signed "Northern Exposure" CD) and a few of the Global Underground trance sets. That's on top of the free downloads from bandcamp and various netlabels.

Any style of music can do that. But yes there are some stunning sounding electronic albums that will sound wonderful on a decent system, especially if there's lots of bass and whizzing effects. Seek out just about anything from producer Simon Posford for example (released under aliases such as Shpongle and Hallucinogen).

I've posted this before, but for a taster try this free 5 hour mix from the Ektoplazm netlabel: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/dj-basilisk-the-colours-of-ektoplazm ... mainly psytrance but has some dub and glitch as well.

And this one for some interesting sounds and effects: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/electrocado-scribble

--Geoff

3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I love this track of Apex Twin. I think it's only released on the Windowlicker EP?

4. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

Thanks - not exactly my thing but it is impressive as a whole (vision + music). It belongs in an art gallery :D

I like threads like this that give you the chance to discover......

5. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

This is certainly true of a lot of dance music. Everything is high passed/band passed and limited within the mix in the first place, so then when they apply the mastering compression and limiting it's just a long 'sausage music' waveform start to finish.

There is dynamic stuff out there though. As an example, Floating Points stuff doesn't seem 100% bricked though, it's definitely got quiet quiet bits, and loud loud bits. The taller peaks are shaved off quite a bit though.

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I do, both the early pioneers and electronica of recent decades. When I'm working, electronica is my music of choice. I lean toward ambient, acid jazz, trip-hop and downtempo lounge stuff.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  7. drasil

drasil Former Resident

the most recent release from the artist in question is an exploration of white suburban teen angst rock/metal--korn, basically--through the lens of electronic music. it's pretty wild.

anyway, as long as we're on this train... if you can describe (in any way you like) what you'd ideally like to hear in electronic music, I can try to furnish you with some real recommendations.

8. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Indeed, OneOhTrix Point Never (Daniel Lopatin) does do stuff that's quite 'sound art'.

9. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Holly Herndon.

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

The quality of most Vinyl Pressingsis good to great. If you read the stamps in the outrun groove you know what to expect - Simon @ The Exchange, MPO, D&M, NSC will nearly always guarantee that the material was mastered well and the pressing is flawless. There is a difference if the Tracks were produced with real analog synthesizers, compressors, drum machines, 303. 808 or most common in Techno the 909. With the advancement in MIDI technique and computer software and SERATO or Final Vinyl replacing Vinyl as the number one medium for Live Mixes/Live Shows you get all these sounds as plug in's. Virtual replacement of the former machine made music. There is still an audible gab from real machine to synthetic virtual replacements. The compressed bass shy stuff you talk about is probably done with software. If you want to hear good Techno made with machines check out the first 50 releases on Kanzleramt, Johannes Heil, Heiko Laux and especially Alexander Kowalski knows how to use the machines...

This compilation of 50 real banging classic ANALOG machine made Techno is worth checking. Not only Kowalski but Mills, UMEK, VÄTH, Dave Clarke and others stands for quality !

11. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Yep, it's the ability to EQ things multiple times that has helped people shave all the bass off. It doesn't have to be done though. You can make very cluttered, rumbling mixes if you so desire, and you can turn the bass up if you want. I wouldn't blame the computer, blame the user and the desire for ever cleaner and louder final mixes :)

I know what you mean about outboard gear though, it will have the warmth that a pristine digital wave from a VST can't recreate 100%.

12. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

I would guess that 7o% of my audio time is spent listening to Electronic Music of one type or another.

Front 242 Addict and klockwerk like this.
  13. crookedbill

crookedbill Forum Resident

Absolutely. Most of my music listening has been "electronic music" for the past 20 years or so (I was a DJ for a long time), but saying "electronic music" is like saying "rock music." There are so many different styles, genres, moods, scenes, philosophies - perhaps more so than "rock" as a whole.

For audiophiles that appreciate a more experimental sound, but want something a bit more contemporary and don't know where to start, I can't recommend Aphex Twin enough. His most active years where in the 90's but he's just come back with a new album and a series of stellar EPs in the last few years.

Here are some of my favorite "electronic music" albums and EPs from this year:

• Aphex Twin: Cheetah EP (techno, electro)
    • Commodo: How What Time (leftfield dubstep and hip-hop)
    • Ital Tek: Hallowed (dark ambient, dubstep)
    • Mikal: Wilderness (dark dubby drum & bass)
    • Moderat: III (moody melodic techno)
    • Venetian Snares: Traditional Synthesizer Music (techno, electro, IDM, breakcore)

If you want to push your hi-fi or headphones, Ital Tek's album Hallowed is great. Lot's of great sonic texture and bass!

klockwerk likes this.
  14. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

FYI, if you're like me and only interested in CDs, the Kuiper EP looks like it will only be released as a limited edition on CD in Japan on August 5th.
    Floating Points - Kuiper »

Al_D likes this.
  15. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

that's a sweet video, I've never seen it. I really love "Nanou2", the track which closes out disk 2 of Drukqs

16. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I didn't know there was a Nannou 2. I'll check it out, I'm curious.

17. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I'm a long-time fan of electronic music, going back to Wendy Carlos, Larry Fast (Synergy) and Edgar Froese. My latest fascination is with an album by Steve Roach, "Skeleton Keys" (2015), for which Roach built an entirely new analog synthesizer system. Amazing stuff!

GullGutt and drasil like this.
  18. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

There were several great releases on the Mego label, in the early 2000s... juxtapositions of extreme frequencies/timbres, novel song structures, and free-form laptop improvisors (Fenn O'Berg). TG11 is one of the more 'accessible' albums of the style, with regular, pulse-oriented grooves and fleshed-out compositions. still, it'll make your pets' ears twitch and it doesn't sound like much else out there. Needless to say, some of this stuff sounded pretty neat on a proper hi-fi setup.

Fennesz, O'Rourke, Rehberg /// Fenn O' Berg Theme »

19. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

It depends. Just because it's vintage, it doesn't mean that it's good or bad. Just because it's modern, it doesn't mean that it's good or bad either.
    As far as electronic music is concerned, the 70s Tangerine Dream or Vangelis are stellar on vinyl.
    Tangerine Dream used Moogs, Oberheims, and ARP 2600 synthesizers. These gave them that fat, warm, and rubbery sound. These very synths have made something of a comeback in recent years. Glad to hear that ''modern'' electronic music have reverted back to using vintage synths. Now we can say that ''new'' music is recorded with old equipment! Here is a picture od Daft Punk's Modcan synthesizer ;-)

[​IMG]

20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

No promises that it's still available but I just received my copy of Kuiper on CD and discovered that in Japan it's being released for a limited time with a bonus disc of a live 18:08 version of Kuiper.

21. I dearly love some music that incorporates electronic sounds, such as "Good Vibrations" and "Daily Nightly" but I've never sought out electronic music for its own sake and never intend to.

When electronic sounds are used intelligently to enhance music they can be awesome. When electronic sounds are the prime feature of the music they tend to suck.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  22. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

A couple vintage alternatives. No dancing required.

Front 242 Addict, Al_D and c-eling like this.
  24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

innercircle likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I like it but except for this and Kraftwerk I don't know where to start. (Honorable mention goes to the Marble Madness level 1 song)

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.