OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, there is. The ISO2DSD GUI offers an option called DFF Edit Master. Select that one and check Cue Sheet and you get one single file and a cue sheet that give you gapless playback from a NAS.

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I could not get XLD to transcode from multiple DFF or DSF files to single DFF or DSF file plus a cue sheet (using the "Open Folder As a Disc..." option). However, as pointed out:
    Oppo players can play DSDIFF Edit Masters, using cue sheets. I have tested this using local playback (USB stick), and it works almost exactly as it should, but is buggy (at least when controlled from the iOS Oppo MediaControl app). Then I found this thread on the JRiver forum:
    I don't run an NAS/DLNA server, and would prefer not to set one up just to test it. I would recommend trying the DSDIFF Edit Master/cue sheet combination to see if you have full functionality or not.

Percivale likes this.
  3. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Ideally I shouldn't have a choice at all if I rip raw ISO. The selection should be grayed out or something. Not a biggie. ..

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  4. JediJoker

It's a simple freeware GUI. Not much to complain about, considering.

roboss38, Simon A, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Sorry for any lack of clarity in my prior comment about wear and tear on the Oppo transport. I was thinking of both what @cyclistsb says and what @JediJoker7169 says: An ISO rip is future-proof, meaning you can get whatever type of file arrangement you want by ripping from the Oppo just once; and ISO ripping should be somewhat faster/shorter than other types.

superstar19, Simon A and Gardo like this.

6. My OPPO is particularly picky regarding cue sheets. I have never managed to get a cue sheet created under OS X to work, regardless of the program used to create it. AFAIK, only cue sheets created in Windows seem to work somewhat reliably.

JediJoker likes this.
  7. JediJoker

Though they initially gave me problems, I've had luck with single FLAC files plus cue sheets created in XLD, using the "Open Folder As a Disc..." option. However, the cue sheet must have the same file name as the FLAC file (except for the extension, of course), and there are certain special characters that can't be present anywhere in the cue sheet (don't have a complete list, can't remember what gave me problems). I think a firmware update may have solved the issues I was having with cue sheet reliability.

RolandG likes this.
  8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Geez, all this talk has me really thinking about re-prioritizing getting a 103. I've been considering getting a PS3, but with this news why wouldn't I want to put that money towards a new 103?!?

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

No reason I can think of.

I have a 105D, and while it has a few quirks (it will hang or crash once in a while, though not during playback), it's quite an extraordinary machine. From what I hear, the 103 is also very worthy. So you get one of the best universal players out there, very likely *the* best at this price point, aside from 4K playback. You get a very good DAC. You can rip bit-perfect SACDs. Pretty good deal on almost all fronts.

JediJoker and superstar19 like this.
  10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you can afford it, grab the 105. I bought the 103 at first and returned it when my 10 year old MSB Dac out performed it. And if you are buying for DSD playback then it also offers external DSD output over USB in the newer D model.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not sure about that....

12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

1. Yes, you can rip to a single file + cue sheet with ISO2DSD.
    2. DSF because it can be tagged.

formu_la likes this.
  13. Percivale

Percivale Active Member

I can confirm that there is definitely something wrong with the playaback of a single dff from a cue sheet (made DSDIFF Edit Masters) when controlled from Oppo Media Control app.

So I am still waiting for some guidance how to play SACD rips from NAS gaplessly.
    Is MinimServer the only solution?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  14. wolfram

I wouldn't expect gapless playback of DSD files any other way than using cue sheets. The Oppo web site only mentions APE, FLAC, and WAV files for gapless playback, no DSD. You might just try it with DSD files played back from a USB stick. If it works (as it does for FLAC) it's possible. But I don't think so (haven't tried it yet).

tmtomh and Percivale like this.
  15. wolfram

Yes, cue sheet playback is buggy on the Oppo. Annoyingly so at times. That's why I only rip albums that way, that actually have songs segueing into each other. All others I rip as seperate tracks.

tmtomh and Percivale like this.
  16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I think you are correct, my mistake...I thought the feature was allowed on this model and upon further research I think I was wrong.

17. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I have 5TB of .iso and flac files.
    The only real solution I know of for getting this amount of data loaded to a Cloud is to send HDs to the provider.
    That's why I would really love to have synchronous broadband but Comcast charges a fortune

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'm sure I will get to that point someday too :)

19. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

I was able to rip an sacd to my hard drive. Now how do I play the .iso file on my 103?

20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

JediJoker likes this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Do the 103/105 players play back SACDs burned to DVDs like my 83se does?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No.

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Thanks. That sucks.

There is a 103d model locally on Craigslist for $400 obo I am keeping an eye on. It just went up for sale today. I use a Craigslist app on my phone with keyword "oppo" and this is the first unit other than the old dvd players that have been up for sale. Wish my 83se would rip my SACDs...

24. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I have ripped my first SACD to DSF files. Very exciting ! But I am having playback problems. I use Jriver-V21 on a Media Server connected to a Yamaha RX-A3040 via HDMI. How can I get Jriver-V21 to play them natively to my Yamaha RX-A3040. The Yamaha can recieve and process DSD bitstreams as I have done so via the OPPO 105 with no issues. I have Jriver set to bitstream DSD in Jriver and keep getting a message that states "Playback could not be started on the output WASAPI using the format DoP 2.8Mhz 2ch" I have tried every setting I can find and it will not play them back nativley. It will play them by letting Jriver do a PCM conversion first. Any ideas on this ?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  25. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I just bought a 103D today. Been twiddling my thumbs too long on the decision. I'm less than a single sacd into my Oppo life and I've already forgotten about my former life.

Linger63, JediJoker, Simon A and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.