New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Is there any confirmation that "Tigers" will be in the new Final Cut? Guthrie is working with new masters from the original analogue tapes, so there's a big chance he won't include the song. Unless... he's using the already existing 2011 transfers to create the 2016 masters.

2. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

That's precisely where I would have placed it. Nice segue from the previous album, and "Post War Dream" would have made a lot of lyrical sense afterwards.

DarkSideOfTheMoo and Sytze like this.
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Any word on the release date for the next batch?

4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

My UK amazon pre-order says September 2 for Atom, Meddle and Clouds. September 23 for Animals.

Hattipper, Vinyl Addict and Spitfire like this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

The best thing would be to release it with its original track list.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  6. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I've always found that the sound quality of "Heros Return - Part II" is noticeably poorer than the first part on that 12" single. If they could sort that out adding it onto the LP would be great. Years ago I made my own mp3 copy and spliced in "....Part II" myself.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Unlikely that they will be so close together.

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I'd noticed that as well. It's almost like some sort of demo version.

Sir Talbot Buxomly likes this.
  9. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

Yep. :agree:

Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was a demo version, spat out onto the 12" single as something different. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but in terms of sound quality it's way short of the rest of the album.

10. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

11. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

hmm vintage concert poster.... Has to be the rumored early pink Floyd box.

12. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

What is rumoured? A gig?

13. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

A gig would be nice but don't think it's possible at this point. ;)

Rumored Syd-era collection of rarities, etc.

14. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Fingers crossed then for some gems what about a BBC sessions complete? Or a special 7" and digital re release of point me at the sky which I believe is post syd

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not sure it will fit without groove cramming?

16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Still holding out hope they'll do a Pink Floyd in Mono box following the lead of the Beatles. All-analog, real flipbacks, include "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" with the early singles.

Philrock90 and mr.dave like this.
  17. ronm

ronm audiofreak

So whats the sound quality on the ones that have been listened to?I don't want noisy reissues.

18. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

But, in case anyone has a cow...Do notice that the vinyl reissue page has NOT been taken down, as there is a still a link at the bottom right hand corner directing you to it.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's what I wrote so WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!?!?!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Haha, I was yelling at the other guy. That, and I'm Robin Leach.

Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  21. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I played my copy of SFOS last weekend and it was simply pristine. No pops, no blemishes, flat and perfect. The music just jumped out wonderfully as well.... great bass extension also, etc
    I got my copy at Barnes and Noble .....
    Finally, I would say go for it ... these are really something special.

Pancat, Hattipper and Vinyl Dude like this.
  22. Larry DeMellier

Larry DeMellier Forum Resident

That would, of course, be the ideal scenario (with the Beatles mono LP box and equipment Abbey Road was kitted out with to produce it used - as the model): PIPER and SAUCERFUL (first commercial release of the latter since its UK 1968 press) in mono, A-A-A with actual (not simply referenced in the design) flipbacks.

The third LP should be contain "Arnold Layne," "Candy and a Currant Bun," "Interstellar Overdrive" ([FRENCH EDIT] this is the *magic MASTER take #2* which was recorded Feb. 27, 1967 but given a clear, proper, professional mix on Mar. 22 specifically for the French company and inclusion on its "Arnold"/"Candy" single which was released that May; this mix is before all of the subsequent overdubs and second-performance overlay for the final PIPER master), "See Emily Play," "Apples and Oranges," "Paint Box," "Scream Thy Last Scream," "Vegetable Man," "It would Be So Nice," "Julia Dream," "Point Me at the Sky," "Careful with That Axe, Eugene."

All other material from this period - including the 1965 material when they were nothing more than a goofy, third-rate amateur version of the Rolling Stones, the inferior takes of "Interstellar" (even the Joe Boyd version which is weak IMO - they needed "Hurricane" Smith), "Nick's Boogie," the first mix of "Matilda Mother" with weaker, directly pinched lyrics and an less complete arrangement, unfinished PIPER material like the backing track "Sunshine" or the live "Reaction in G" and "One in a Million" and THE COMMITTEE score - makes for, perhaps, instructive, but not particularly essential, listening. It's fine for a companion CD set but would disrupt the flow and enjoyment of the third LP I describe above - plus time constraints are a factor in the LP set (the track listing in the paragraph above fits a third LP length perfectly).

Here's why it won't happen, though: when the Beatles set came out Universal-EMI was controlling the Beatles masters. Indeed this set only had appeal to zealots/audiophiles/collectors, but the Beatles are still the biggest band in rock history, so it was probably somewhat profitable if not a slam-dunk cash cow (since there's no such thing these days anyway). Pink Floyd are indeed one of the five biggest acts in rock history, but, beyond a brief couple of months as UK pop stars thanks to "See Emily Play," they were nothing more than an underground/cult band during this period.

Moreover, *Pink Floyd* controls its masters now (or, at least, that what I understand); not Warner (who they were, doubtless, unhappy being briefly saddled with internationally); not Sony. As such, despite a fondness for Syd Barrett's gifts in particular, both Waters and Gilmour have little interest in revisiting this period with any great detail or scrutiny (Waters said as much during the few interviews he granted during the 2007 PIPER-deluxe anniversary release). The only one of the three who might have interest would be Nick Mason. However, my impression is that - as I stated earlier in this thread - Pink Floyd physical catalog will sell what it sells (for the most part), regardless of the quality of the available and in-print products. In this age, the three principals mostly want to see the annual $$$ they saw from their recordings in the past; which they're aware won't happen (this is why you also see more Pink Floyd music licensed for use right now [same with Led Zeppelin]). In sum, it would require a large Pink Floyd budget to mount a project like this, regardless of their personal involvement, making any immediate profits either hardly noticeable at best or doubtful at worst - despite the fact that it's PINK FLOYD. No, I believe they just want serviceable/basic catalog available.

azjvm05 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It doesn't matter if they were a cult band back then, what matters is that they are currently still one of the biggest bands of all time. And it's already been confirmed (by Andy Jackson) that an early years compilation will be released by the end of this year including the rare tracks released on limited vinyl earlier this year. I'm assuming the images recently displayed on the main page of pinkfloyd.com are a teaser for this release.

Hattipper likes this.
  24. Larry DeMellier

Larry DeMellier Forum Resident

Of course it matters that they were a cult band at the time; and especially towards the argument I made above - and a specific package along the lines of the Beatles mono box. Also, unlike the Beatles, whose sales are somewhat more evenly distributed, 80% of Pink Floyd's sales come from only *three* of its *fifteen* studio albums. Regarding an early years compilation, well, that's neither here nor there, quite easy to compile and has nothing whatever to do with the ideal package I described at the front of my post. Regarding the limited-edition vinyl of the 1965 material, that came out only because of copyright issues (the masters would've reverted to public domain had they not been commercially released this year, and, obviously, the Floyd wanted them as part of a future compilation).

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, that's pretty well known and we can expect more releases for each subsequent year for a while as copyrights continue to expire. I wasn't attempting to compare this compilation with the Beatles mono box but rather sharing what the band has actually planned.

Where are you getting this figure from? That's a gross exaggeration according to actual worldwide album sales. They've sold over 250 million albums and the top 3 add up to less than 90 million in sales.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016