Pono music store closing temporarily...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by SKBubba, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

They probably need to figure out how to add 7digital's download infrastructure to its ported JRiver "PonoMusic" software. Which is ridiculous, IMO. You're locked into downloading via that software, whereas via 7digital's website it's much more streamlined.

Anyhow, I'm perfectly content with 16/44.1, so I don't really care how that all shakes out. I used to bounce back and forth between Pono and 7digital to see who had what in FLAC at which lower price...now I won't have to do that, though I'm sure that'll limit what's available in the first place as there were several instances where something was available on one service and not the other.

(Oh, and I don't and likely won't ever own a Pono...)

2. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident Thread Starter

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I wish I could buy everything I wish to own in redbook. Unfortunately, a lot of back catalog stuff is still only available in lossy formats. Pono was nice because I never had to separate wheat from chaff (i.e., lossless from lossy) on Pono. I wish that 7digital would at least store my format preferences via cookie. I hate having to unset the lossy options overtime I search there.

4. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

I don't believe this is right at all. No files were ever uploaded or sent to Pono. Pono only had access to what Omnifone had - if Ominofone didn't or couldn't get something, Pono didn't have it. Prior to the store going live, they were making a big deal about the size of Omnifone's catalogue. Whilst I'm not aware of any other Omifone powered download stores, there are several powered by 7Digital and 7Digital do not host special seperate catalogues for the different stores.

5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

That's a very good question. Will the Pono Promise be intact when all is said and done? There's no reason really to shop anywhere but the Pono Store, for that benefit, and because I've found that prices on HDTracks are a bit higher than the Pono Store.

6. Madness

Do you use another portable media player? I'm wondering what people are using aside from the Pono Player. Thanks.

7. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

Actually it is correct. He didn't say the files were sent to Pono, in fact he did a very good job of explaining what happened. And Pono had several albums that Omnifone didn't have, including Tom Petty's Wildflowers in 24bit 96k which was a Pono exclusive.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I don’t follow these things religiously but aren’t Neil’s albums, Déjà Vu, Botnick’s ’15 remaster of Forever Changes exclusive to the Pono? So unless I am missing something, Pono got the rights to those albums and had Omnifone host those for them and no one else. I don’t think Pono will have to exclusively rely on what 7Digital has, but I would suspect they could well lean on only what 7Digital has for the bulk of the material for expediency’s sake.

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I use a Fiio X5 1st gen with dual 128gb cards in the slots. I mainly listen with Dunu 2000J earbuds. I've been happy with the combo for what it's worth.

Tuco likes this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

In that price range I see Fiio, iBasso and Sony mentioned the most

11. Madness

...except for the Pono Promise...no other content provider offers that.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have a Sansa Clip + and a Rockbox'd Ipod Mini. I also have an Android phone. That said, I mostly useless lossless files for listening at home via DAC. If I need portability I will typically use lossy files.

13. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I'm using a Galaxy S3 phone as a music player.
    Onkyo app plays flacs.

14. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

iPhone 5s loaded with 24bit flac player via onkyo app with oppo ha 2. The sounds is amazing to my ears.

15. edised

edised Forum Resident

My, my, hey hey, I thought rock'n'roll was here to stay?

melstapler likes this.
  16. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Hey hey, my my, rock'n'roll will never die!

edised likes this.
  17. Madness

Another thing us Pono consumers are hoping for is that when the Pono Store comes back on line, there will be advanced filtering and search capabilities available.

18. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

My hope is prices remain competitive. 7Digital is usually more expensive for hires material.

Jet Age Eric, Atmospheric and Tullman like this.
  19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Pono updated their FAQ and noted they will be relaunching initially with the same catalog as before. PonoMusic | Store »

Dino and oneway23 like this.
  20. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Question is when. I also wonder about "new" releases since the shutdown.

21. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

New info on the Pono FAQ indicates the "Pono Promise" is now only good for one year.

"The PonoPromise, created by Neil Young, solves this problem:
    Any album purchased from Ponomusic.com, regardless of its resolution, will be upgraded at no cost, if a higher resolution version becomes available within one year of purchase."

Heart of Gold likes this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

IIRC, that's the same as it has been since around January of this year. The PonoPromise upgrade is good for one year after purchase. The people who bought in through the Kickstarter launch may be grandfathered in to a longer PonoPromise period, but I'm not sure.

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

FYI - Moved this to Marketplace Discussions sub-forum. Left a generous redirect so it will appear in both locations for a few days.

24. Madness

There's been extensive and exhaustive discussion on the Pono community message board on this topic. the PonoPromise was originally for Kickstarter backers only, then it was opened up to everyone, and the PonoPromise announcement never said anything about a 1 year time limit. That PonoPromise announcement specifically states: "when you buy your favorite music at PonoMusic.com, the PonoPromise means you will never have to purchase it again, ever!" Seems pretty clear to me.

Gaslight, vanye and superstar19 like this.
  25. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

That's what I remember. Purchased a number of CD res albums in the hopes of future upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.