Ortofon 2m Blue break-in question?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tyler Santarelli, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Santarelli

Tyler Santarelli Member Thread Starter

Hi guys, first post on the forum. So, I recently upgraded my TT's cartridge to the 2m Blue. I've played about 5 records so far (Soundgarden's Superunknown and some old Sinatra to name a few), and it sounds great overall...except the bass is a bit lacking when compared to the cd or mp3 counterparts of the albums I've played. I've read that Ortofons in particular require many hours for a full break in. Can anyone confirm this, that the sound and bass will improve over time? Thanks!

2. arem

arem Forum Resident

Yes, it took mine a while to settle down but once it does it's a great sounding cart. Give it 30-40 hours of play before you make up your mind, the sound will definitely improve.

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I think you'll find the CD version of Superunknown has more bass than a vinyl copy in general.

I run a 2M Blue on my RP6 and it took about 20 hours. I dont think I noticed much if any difference after that.

Manimal and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I had one on a Technics turntable that I gave my son. Give it 40 hours or so.

6. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

And also the bass on those old Capitol Sinatra records may not be very good either. I know how my old Capitol Beach Boys sound through my 2M Blue. Congratulations. I really enjoy mine.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Even for lossy, the bass shines through...

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Don't go nuts doing the switching back and forth cd/lp comparison thing ( I've been down that road). The blue will play what is there. Old stuff on LP is not going to have that cd punch in bass, some newer stuff on lp does better in the liquid cd like bass dept. IMHO. The blue is a nice cart that will get a little better after burn in, enjoy. Peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.