David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

2. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

The 2016 studio remasters only.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Too bad the book won't be made available separately.

4. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

It is not just the studio remasters being released individually. Again in case people don't read the info posted!

There is also the David Live 2005 and Nassau released later. Exclusive t the box is marked *

Diamond Dogs (remastered) (1 LP)
    David Live (original mix) (remastered) (2 LP) *
    David Live (2005 mix) (remastered) (3 LP)
    The Gouster (previously unreleased as an album) (1 LP) *
    Young Americans (remastered) (1 LP)
    Station To Station (remastered) (1 LP)
    Station To Station (Harry Maslin 2010 mix) (1 LP) *
    Live Nassau Coliseum ’76 (2 LP)
    Re:Call 2 (Single versions and non-album B-sides) (remastered) (1 LP) *

* Exclusive to ‘Who Can I Be Now? (1974 – 1976)’

Quoted from official davidbowie.com announcement.

Jim B., MadamAdam and paulbright81 like this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

According to Bowie, the dry Maslin mix is the way Bowie would have preferred the album be mixed in the first place.

Tim Bucknall and MadamAdam like this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This phrase should be copyrighted, because it appears in every thread about a box set featuring a hardcover book.

mdm08033, subtr, Mazzy and 3 others like this.
  7. jon9091

Too bad the book won't be made available separately.
    ©2016 jon9091 All rights reserved.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some of those listed were aquired by BMG Rights Management including Sanctuary and Mute. 'Parlophone' was a device (rather than the original label) to package together all the labels and stray artists sold to Warner. US Chrysalis came under Capitol and so remains part of UME while UK Chrysalis artists went to Warner.

downer and DeRosa like this.
  9. Phillip Walch

Sorry Jon but I previously copyrighted ©2016 under ©©2016 in 2015 under section 12.3 of the ©&® code 2015

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm going to be another wet blanket, and just wait for the individual albums.

Hopefully the details about the vinyl pressing will be made known, (at least this time
    there won't be hundreds of pages of speculation about the mastering, we know they
    are digital). Optimal did a very good job on the pressings i bought from the first set,
    hope they also press this round.

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

But he was off his head when making it, and said several times he remembers almost zero about recording the album, and that he found it miraculous that such a good record came from such a blanked out and messed up period for him.

There's usually a Bowie quote to reinforce or contradict all our opinions, such was the nature and life of the unique and special man. My opinion is still that the Maslin mix is crap, whether Bowie wanted it or not. Just like the Rykos and EMI 1999 CDs are crap despite him being happy with them (although even then there is his quote about the Ziggy Ryko being feeble, albeit he seems to have been talking about the sound of the original recordings as much as the Ryko CD of it).

12. jon9091

Damn.....I'm sure I'll buy the friggn thing. Argh. :help:

BlueSpeedway and scobb like this.
  13. jon9091

I think the main albums should be in the box....and all these alternate mix versions should be included as downloads. It's getting ridiculous. Who cares if someone was dicking around with the mix 40 years later? Next we'll have to pay for the Diamond Dogs balls cover, the neutered cover, and the non-gatefold cover.

crispi, Robert C and George Blair like this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

You know, DAVID LIVE is a fantastic live album all on its own.

Alfie Noakes and scobb like this.
  15. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

But it isn't a dry remix.

16. Phillip Walch

I agree, this is why we need 1 really well mastered version of the 2005 version. Not 2 versions of which one will never be played after we all pick our desired version.

jon9091 and rstamberg like this.
  17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The DTS DVD-Audio Disc is really good.

pscreed and Tingman like this.
  18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

What's the deal with these sets having TWO complete versions of the same albums (remixed why?) Considering most Bowie fans likely have an original of these, who needs another two copies of "David Live" and "Station To Station"? (and "Ziggy Stardust" in the Five Years box.)

Tombby and rstamberg like this.
  19. Phillip Walch

I've not listened to that in quite a while. I love Sweet Thing/Candidate from that version.

rstamberg likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

An upcoming box will have two copies of "Never Let Me Down", one with and without "Too Dizzy".

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's also not true. When people break up these boxes, books are for sale separately too. Just got the book from "Five Years" last week.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

They should have gone ALL the way and include two versions of "Diamond Dogs" too. With and without bollocks;)

23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It seems just as halfhearted and haphazard as most of the post Ryko-reissues. Five Years did the job right (at least mostly) for giving new fans a comprehensive set with reportedly decent sound and the outtakes in one place. Now they seem to 'zone in' again on a certain period, which leaves the Ziggy-period unrespected and -if the Berlin-period gets a similar treatment- Scary Monsters deserted. In other words, once again there doesn't seem to be a clear plan at work (something the Virgin/EMI and Ryko/EMI reissue plans -for all their flaws- got right).
    I think a set comprising Diamond Dogs to Scary Monsters would've made a lot more sense with original mixes of YA and STS included and The Gouster should be issued seperately for the longtime fans who spent hundreds of bucks obtaining everything else through the years!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    pobbard and Robert C like this.
  24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Ryko for the win?

Mister President likes this.
  25. Phillip Walch

Hahah don't give them any ideas. If this is the look of future DB boxes I am seriously excited for the 30lp '1995-2003 David Takes us Outside to Reality'

Announcing David Bowie '1995-2003 David Takes us Outside to Reality' due 24th September 2019

Brought together for the first time, David Bowie and the acid years in one set.

1.Outside (2LP)
    Excerpts from Outside (1LP)*
    The Leon Suites (Brought together for the first time on vinyl) (3LP)*
    David Bowie & Trent Reznor live (somewhere spurious and as we did not record anything, we will find a decent FM broadcast) (4LP)* Oh wait, we did record stuff, Oh well this will do to save us having t do any work and after all we did stop this being released a few years ago by some nasty guy looking to exploit DB fans.
    Earthling (1LP)
    Earthling on the Outside (Live) (1LP)
    Hours (2LP) (For superior sound)
    Heathen (2LP) (as above)
    Reality (2LP) (as above the above)
    A Reality Tour (5LP)* Because the FridayMusic crowd crammed 27 minutes onto each side TUTTUT
    Recall 8,9,10,11,12,13,14 (7LP)* Because so many fooking artists remixed DB's stuff at this time. Moby, Pet ShopBoys and NIN will be on a disc each with newly expanded stuff to pad a little.

* Exclusive to box-set

Available from all good mortgage brokers.