David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'm sorry, I respect you, but I can't believe they are releasing two versions of David Live and two versions of Station To Station for standalone release.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  2. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

I could actually see then doing that. Maybe they'll do two versions of NLMD: one with the CD versions, and the other with the shortened LP edits.

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

There are not two stand alone versions.
    Read the press release again, the items with " * " are only going to be in the box set.

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Okay, I understand now.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm wondering if there is a typo regarding which "David Live" version will be released individually after
    the box set. One would think the original mix is the one they would sell alone, and not the 3 lp version,
    since it's been the standard editions released from the first box. The 'special' content usually remains
    exclusive to the box set.

6. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The original is still readily available and cheap so they would have no advantage to releasing that version. The 2005 version wouldn't have direct competition for sales therefore a much safer bet.

scobb likes this.
  7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Perhaps, but i was thinking they would keep the unavailable content to encourage sales of the box set,
    and only the secondary consideration would be selling individual copies.

Several albums from the 5 years set were reissued from Parlophone before the box set,
    not sure the fact a 2014 David Live CD of the original mix exists means they would necessarily
    include the remix this time. At this point, neither version is available on vinyl.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. Phillip Walch

I see your thinking and it makes perfect sense but I believe the Gouster piece will do that by itself.

I have made my decision on this box based on what I see as sinister placement of the Gouster. I won't be purchasing this set in any configuration as I truly believe that this release has been altered from David's intentions.

DeRosa likes this.
  9. Phillip Walch

David Live is available on vinyl, granted it is from 1974 but if I had to choose between a 2016 remaster and the 1974 original would choose the original first.

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-David-Live/release/777725

The 2005 version has never had a vinyl release therefore has more scope to sell to everybody whereas the 1974 may be pushed away by people who have the original.

scobb likes this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed, but Parlophone kept the 2003 Ziggy remix exclusively for the first box, while offering the original mix individually,
    even though it had been reissued many times. It sort of makes more sense that Parlophone would want all Bowie's studio
    and live albums in print for sale individually, in both CD and Vinyl formats. The remixes and extra material serve as the
    incentives to buy the sets. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough is there is any mistake in the press release.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  11. Phillip Walch

I totally agree with you and your logic is perfectly rational, this is what I mean by 'sinister' though. This series will keep The Gouster as a box only release while touting it as a studio album thus more people will want it.

DeRosa likes this.
  12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This comes out the day before my birthday, sounds like a good gift idea.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, the skeptic in me also thinks Parlophone will keep upping the amount of exclusive material in each box set to keep
    from sales fatigue, to keep fans from skipping the box and just cherry picking the individual albums. The sets are not inexpensive,
    if you want only half the material from the box, the individual albums are way less money, so i can see Parlophone trying
    to hook people with decisions like offering less and less individual content each time a set comes out, or delaying the individual
    releases further and further out. Let's face it, they had the perfect marketing opportunity with Bowie's tragic passing,
    and as time goes on they'll need more incentive to get people to keep biting on these sets.

MadamAdam likes this.
  14. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I bought the first box on CD so I am in for this one too. I'll probably be stopping with the next one unless the eighties box has some enticing extras.

15. Phillip Walch

Yep, that is spot on to what will happen sadly. I am making a stand with this one as I feel I, like everybody else is being forced or pushed into a corner with regards to the Gouster. I have collected Bowie since I was a kid and I have multiple versions of every album by choice. They can get ****ed if they think some corporate **** is going to make me buy something out of need to own all the music physically.

16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Hmm. Okay. I would think that "remastered" in the above list for David Live (2005) and Live Nassau Coliseum '76' simply means MFiT (look at the Digital download standard/MFiT box set listing) but no new physical release (for David Live (2005), and Live Nassau Coliseum '76's physical release will just be the existing master. I could be wrong, of course. They didn't MFiT either Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture or Live Santa Monica '72 last year. Seems silly to remaster albums released in 2005 and 2010, though.

So IMHO add Live Nassau Coliseum '76 (2010) to the three studio albums as stand alone-releases.

17. Phillip Walch

Nassau does not state any new mastering so I think that will be as is but Live clearly states remastered therefore I would believe from the information that it is a new mastering. But you could well be right obviously but the fact that Nassau has no indication of work done to it but Live does points away from your thinking IMO. Plus I think from the information provided it is clear that Gouster, Live original, StSMaslin and Recall are exclusive to the box. All the others will have standalone releases like the previous albums from Five Years did earlier this year. The campaign has been announced in the same way with what is exclusive so I doubt they would say what is exclusive and then not release the non exclusive later.

cartologist likes this.
  18. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

You respect him, but not enough to actually read what he posted?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. Phillip Walch

I think that the 2005 version will need serious work before it is ready to go onto vinyl. It may be more extensive but it is quite compressed. That will be remastered.

cartologist likes this.
  20. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Don't believe everything you read about Bowie's non-recollections of the STS sessions either.

When he gave that interview in 1990 to Q (where he mentioned the sound of Ziggy) the Ryko CD hadn't even been mixed.

Quick, @Ben Adams, fight!

Yeah, I think you're right. I can see one of two completely unreleased remixes in the subsequent box (Lodger and maybe Low), the Serious Moonlight @ Montreal recording in the 80s box, and possibly scrapped Sound + Vision and Earthling live albums in the 90s set.

21. OY . That would be a ShT Show.

22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I keep reading it as "who can it be now" :D

23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

True re STS, although he was definitely off his face and off his head, I think everybody who was there agrees on that bit, including db :)

Was the bowienet members 2CD liveandwell.com the scrapped
    E AR TH L ING live album or was there another? I can't recall without looking it up all over the place. Either way, let's hope so. A great live era IMO.

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I was thinking the 80's box is going to be stuffed full of unreleased stuff to CD. You have the Serious Moonlight tour (2 discs), the Glass Spider tour (2 discs), Dance (1 disc) then all the leftover film songs and remixes for a (4 or 5 disc recall album) + the 3 albums, Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down that's 12/13 discs already, before they include the second Never Let Me Down disc (LP version)

Embarrassingly the 80's box is the one I'm most looking forward to! :hide:

25. The concept of these sets is an introduction to his entire catalogue in print for fans. They are not considering that one person or a few thousand people already own one or more records. .

Bowies records deserve to be in print. These sets cover that demand.