The Robots are coming for the Mastering Engineers now

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I have bigger problems with human mastering engineers losing some or most of their hearing one way or another and still continue working for decades after the fact.

PH416156 and jon9091 like this.
  2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Technology evolves for high resolution video, don't seem to have a problem making video better.

Why do we still insist on making audio sound worse ? Makes no sense when it should sound better than ever.

The ears don't like loud and unpleasant, would people go back to 480 lines of resolution ?

Makes my mind explode.

Dave, Kristofa and Levitated like this.
  3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

What does mastering have to do with making a recording "louder"? It's goal has to be the best possible presentation of the final mix on a consumer medium. Robots are not required, but the technique of making a decent digital master from a well-made final digital mixdown is indeed not complex & can be performed by almost anyone with common sense & some experience with audio software tools...

4. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I've actually tried this on a few of my mixes, and you know... it CAN and often DOES improve them - IF you play with the settings, and you know what you are listening for. I certainly didn't like everything I heard, however. It's somewhat configurable, so don't have to go for the brick-wall setting. You can try it for free. I haven't spent any money with them, but to dismiss it out right without a free test drive is just silly. It could be a great solution for demos for young bands, etc. that aren't going to have the money to spend on bespoke treatment.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

6. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

The robots came for the mastering process a long time ago. No one will be able to earn a living at that trade in less than 10 years.

7. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

If that's what people think mastering is, it sure helps explain the race to the bottom in the loudness wars.

8. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I think the "purpose" of this automated mastering is to provide a cost effective alternative to the artists who can't afford a proper mastering service.

9. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

We have a new Bob Ludwig here...

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

At times I feel like I could do a better job... :D

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

What a appalling lack of understanding you possess regarding mastering. Enjoy the ignorance lol.

12. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Will do. The music industry can forget about me buying their robot- (or human-) mastered products, scoring low on dynamics & high on added distortions. ;)

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

By all means, go out and master some music, get about 30+ years of album credits, recognition from your peers, a Grammy or two, innovate to the changes in technology, write a book or two, and tell us how you did it all by following three or four simple steps....:wave:

14. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

What's all that worth when the final product gets butchered?..

15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

No, I was referring to your "expertise" on mastering...

16. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

No expertise, but no butchered products either... :)

17. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Of course, we knew you had nothing to offer... :D

18. The fact the writer said that the purpose of mastering is to make music louder revealed that a) the writer doesn't know what he is talking about and b) that the product he is evangelizing is some sort of limiting software. No thank you!

Dave and Carl Swanson like this.
  19. llannigan

llannigan Member

I'm trying out one of my tracks on this right now. I usually do this myself, and I'm not pro, but I want to compare and see how it ends up. Considering it takes me a few days to get what I want through Ozone, this should be interesting.

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I thought there was a point at the advent of digital audio where some of the know it alls in the business said mastering engineers would become unnecessary. Just connect the tape player to the analog to digital converter and hit play and soon you'll have some bits to put on an optical disc.

Thank goodness that never happened.

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:hide:The thread title suggests Oh No! The Gorts are rising up and revolting against our host AHh!:yikes:

22. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

"has used it on projects such as a Paris Hilton remix, while Snoop Dogg’s Doggy Style Records has been using it too."

That's it! Sign me up!!! All my formerly prized old school media will be at the local Goodwill tomorrow!!!!!

Maybe we need an "Mastering Engineer's Lives Matter" movement. We could march on Warner Brothers!

23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Not here, methinks.

24. Carl Swanson

Never underestimate the power of mobs of the unemployed with torches and pitchforks.

25. Carl Swanson

That may indeed be a problem . . . but a bigger problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.