POLL: Their Satanic Majesties Request--"The Stones In Another Land"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He had a point.
    Ironically after The Beatles split the Stones were to produce their two best criticslly known albums Sticky Fingers & Exile On Main Street.

jwjeffrey and Michael D like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

BIG TIME !!

3. "2000 Light Years" hovers so majestically over LOTS of stuff from the psychedelic era, including much of Sgt Pepper's itself IMO (not all of it; much)...

Add to this another big staple from the Stones back catalogue, "She's A Rainbow"... Then what is perhaps the blueprint of their own signature power chord rock sound to come, "Citadel" - which I've never met a single Stones fan who didn't like... Then stuff that has been covered on television by a famous band like Kiss ("2000 Man")... Then, sure Keith, you do have a "load of crap" there alright... Especially if you're that fond of "A Bigger Bang"...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  4. The album is underrated & misunderstood & "She's A Rainbow" is my fave song on it...

~ "She's Rainbow"
    ~ "2000 Light Years From Home"
    ~ "2000 Man"

Honorable Mention: "Citadel"

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

"She's a Rainbow" is a wonderful track. Right up there with Lennon's Lucy, Brian's Marcella and the Cowsills' Flower Girl as great odes to hippie chicks. There are other tracks ("Citadel" and "2000 Light Years From Home" are the ones I voted for) that I like musically. But, the lyrics seem silly, or maybe you had to be there in 67 to appreciate their "far out" nature. Candy and taffee on Aldebaran don't make much sense to me. A gin-soaked barroom queen in Memphis is a more vivid image.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This album sounds nothing like The Beatles.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What about the "Automatic Changer" design on "Let It Bleed"? That's the one that even made it to a stamp.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

The Lantern
    Gomper
    2000 Light Years

9. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Great in mono. Have an original Bell Sound U.S that looks VG, plays NM. In Another Land is a favorite. Kiss did an excellent cover of 2000 man. Great arrangement IMO.

10. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Excise the last tracks on sides 1 and 2 and add We Love You and Dandelion and it's arguably the best Stones album ever. I love it a lot, though I know its makers don't give it much cop because it was made under such difficult circumstances.

What Lennon said about it was crap. It's not much like Pepper at all. More like Piper.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Citadel

Rainbow

Light Years

My 'go to' cdr

We Love You
    Dandelion
    Citadel
    In Another Land
    2000 Man
    She's a Rainbow
    The Lantern
    2000 Light Years from Home

12. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

great album

13. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

This!

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

AWESOME!!

Scope J likes this.
  15. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Only decent tracks on the whole record...

16. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Ive always loved TSMR. BtB is a weaker Stones album for me, they seemed to be momentarily lost and casting around for a new sound (there was nothing wrong with the old sound of course, perhaps they felt they needed to show musical progress, just as another that didn"t influence the Stones showed great musical progression in this time frame). TSMR was not a return to their roots but certainly a return to form. Great songs regardless of the psychhedelic trappings. Talent transcends genre on this album.

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Frankly I don't understand the love for Citadel and the lack of love of The Lantern (the latter of which is the only song, other than Rainbow and 2000 Light Years, that I ever play from this album, which is think is pretty poor overall)... but, hey, IMHO.

willy and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Citadel
    The Lantern
    2000 Light Years From Home

19. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Calm down, please. So this should surpass what Taylor did on "Sticky Fingers" or what Wood did on numerous tracks on "LA Forum '75"??? Get a grip, man.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thank you. I thought I might be alone in picking "Sing This All Together".

I love this track beyond all reason. It stands out and sounds unique in the Stones catalog and I'm hard pressed to name any other song by anyone else that influenced it, unless there is something by the Incredible String Band or similar that I am unaware of.

"200o Light Years From Home" gets a vote for Brian's Mellotron work and "She's A Rainbow" gets my other vote for Nicky Hopkins excellante piano part. To think he plucked that out of his head really amazes me and takes the track to another level it might not have reached without his part.

It's one if my all time favorite albums , and like many here I added the triple play of favorites to it, just to make a great album an incredibly great album.:D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  21. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Ooh yeah, love for Gomper here too! What a trip.

22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Sing this all Together really is unique--I'm a huge fan of it as well--Nicky's piano, all the background vocals, etc.

23. "Sing This Song All Together"
    "2000 Man"
    "She's a Rainbow"

From one of the finest psychedelic rock albums of all time.

24. Frankly, what's not to like about "Citadel"? Unless you don't like the Rolling Stones... Perhaps you actually don't enjoy their power chord/anthem riff era? That's OK. I'm just curious...

25. I have always really liked it too, especially that virile-all together chorus. But I must say that this is the one song where they seem to try to sound Frisco for the sake of it (if there was still time!). The guitar arpeggio of the verse has always reminded me of that hippy anthem, "Come on, people now..." Can't remember the title of that one, but it was very popular....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.