POLL: What Are Your Favorite Decades For Movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by greatmuta, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I voted 50s but really post ww2 thru 59 is my sweet spot

Gasman1003 and fr in sc like this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I voted the 80s, but I am really starting to appreciate (and crave) films from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. This really is tough to answer as my taste in film is in a constant state of flux.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  4. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I voted 1950's. Reasons include:

1. The Seventh Seal
    2. The Seven Samurai
    3. Wild Strawberries
    4. The Magician
    5. Smiles of a Summer Night
    6. Rashomon
    7. A Man Escaped (Bresson)
    8. Pickpocket (Bresson)
    9. El: This Strange Passion (Bunuel)
    10. The Criminal Life of Archibaldo De la Cruz (Bunuel)

mooseman, JMGuerr and audiomixer like this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Wasn't there a poll on this in which the '70s trounced the rest?

Anyway, when it comes to American films, it's the '70s for me (and more specifically 1967-1976). And for foreign films, the '50s.

6. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

'30s, '40s and '70s

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

+ 60s

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I guess this is as good a place to go on a mini-rant, so here goes.

Surely I'm not alone when I say I'm really getting tired of the current state of modern cinema. That's not to say there aren't incredible films being made, but most of them are by independent studios who have to struggle to get their art made. Meanwhile unoriginal retreads and junk food movies are a dime a dozen with loads of special effects with any semblance of narrative taking a back seat. And can we please ease up on the stupid superhero movies? Sure there are some good ones (Winter Soldier) but at a certain point they all start to blend together.

Anyway, this is why I've found myself discovering and rediscovering the films of the past. There's something to be said about films that had to make do with what they had; whether that was technology in its infancy or lack of multi-million dollar budgets. So...I know this isn't an exactly original rant, but this is my state of mind these days. I can watch King Kong '33 and it sticks with me. There are so few modern day films that do that for me anymore.

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I LOVE 70s FILMS.
    The best films of all time were made in the 1970s.
    Late 60s through about 1980 was the golden period for me

Macman, apesfan, BadJack and 2 others like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I voted 70s and 90s.

Though I do LOVE a lot of 80s movies - I was a teen/early 20something that decade, so I semi-grew up on those movies, and many are my faves.

I think overall quality was ehh, though - not a very good decade for "critically acclaimed" films. The 90s was a good "bounce back" decade in that regard...

11. sami

sami Mono still rules

The '40's followed by the '50's. The number of classic Film Noir and westerns from this period is endless, and whenever I think I've seen them all, a great "B" film will pop up on TCM or somewhere that I've never heard of. I love everything about this era in Hollywood movie making.

Maseman66, forthlin and fr in sc like this.
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

1.) 70s
    2.) 90s
    3.) 80s
    4.) 2000s
    5.) 60s
    6.) 2010s
    7.) 50s
    8.) 30s
    9.) 40s

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Definitely 1970s. Never before had and never again would so many talented American directors (Coppola, Altman, Spielberg, Bogdanovich, Scorsese, Cassavetes, Friedkin, etc., etc.) receive such a level of creative freedom and make so much of it. It all eventually came crashing down and the studios once again pulled in the reins, but the era bracketed by Easy Rider and Raging Bull was as close to a renaissance as American film has seen. And that's not even to mention the fantastic work done in other countries by Herzog, Malle, Kubrick, Bergman, Fassbinder, etc.

14. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I voted 70s even though there are films I love in the 60s, 80s, and 90s as well. There is just something about the stories themselves that 70s films had that was very unique. It seems to me like they had no set formula on how to do a story.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

50s, 60s, and 70s...

Daily Nightly, Xabby and audiomixer like this.
  16. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The 1980s were the pinnacle of human existence.

Denim Chicken, fr in sc and Moshe like this.
  17. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

I struggle to seperate the '20's, '60's and '90's.
    The 1920's had some amazing silents like Nosferatu, Faust, Pandora's Box, Diary Of A lost Girl, Metropolis etc...
    The 1960's had Belle De Jour, Repulsion, Sandra, Once Upon A Time in The West, The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Claudia Cardinale.
    The 1990's had the Three Colours Trilogy, The Double Life of Veronique, Bound, Delusion, Exotica, Raise The Red Lantern the Shawshank Redemption etc...

About two-thirds of my favourite films come from these three decades.

18. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

'70s. Those string of Hal Ashby films, the oh too true prophetic 'Network', Clockwork Orange. The best '70s films were 'hangover ideals' from the latter part of the '60s. Sadly the success of truly great Blockbuster films like Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K, Superman, lead to the brainless bloated schlocky summer films we have in theaters today

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2000s
    2010s
    1990s
    1940s
    1950s
    1960s
    1930s

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Not enough of a film buff to say, but there's nothing in my DVD collection from this century.

audiomixer likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Same as my favourite decade for music...the 70's, baby!:righton:

izgoblin likes this.
  22. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

I would be lying if I said I didn't agree with you somewhat. I have become more selective of my action/super flicks because they're almost the same thing, unfortunately. I too look more into independent films since you'll most likely find more originality there. However, I still have some love for certain modern blockbusters like Zootopia (my pick for best film of 2016). We'll see if this new wave of remakes in Hollywood is just a phase and will disappear in the near future (I hope).

23. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

All of these decades have their ups and downs but if I had to pick which ones I like the most, it would be a tie between the '60s and '70s because that was the time when film directors were really starting to grow balls and tackle topics that were considered "taboo" at the time.

audiomixer and ohnothimagen like this.
  24. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the votes and comments. After much thought, here are the decades I voted for and also some of my favorite films from those decades:

1920's: Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Phantom Of The Opera, Faust, Sunrise, Metropolis, The Lodger.
    1930's: Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, Sabotage, Vampyr, Freaks, King Kong, M, The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse, The Mummy, Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, The Wizard Of Oz, White Zombie, The Black Cat.

1940's: Rebecca, Spellbound, Shadow Of A Doubt, Notorious, Casablanca, The Wolf Man, It's A Wonderful Life, The Third Man, The Grapes Of Wrath, Fantasia, Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein.

1950's: Vertigo, North By Northwest, Rear Window, Dial M For Murder, Strangers On A Train, Nights Of Cabiria, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Sunset Blvd, Touch Of Evil, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Godzilla, House On Haunted Hill.

1960's: Psycho, The Birds, Charade, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Planet Of The Apes, Lawrence Of Arabia, West Side Story, Rosemary's Baby, Cool Hand Luke, Batman, The Pink Panther, Romeo And Juliet, Night Of The Living Dead, The Time Machine, Carnival Of Souls, The Haunting, The Haunted Palace, The Last Man On Earth.

1970's: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather, Godfather Part II, Jaws, Star Wars, Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist, Halloween, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Eraserhead, Fiddler On The Roof, Papillon, Dog Day Afternoon, The Omen, Midnight Express, The Chinese Connection, Enter The Dragon, The French Connection, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, The Holy Mountain, Dawn Of The Dead, Suspiria, Profondo Rosso, Don't Torture A Duckling, The Psychic, Phantasm, Nosferatu The Vampyre.

1980's: Too Many To List. :cool:

apesfan and izgoblin like this.
  25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

1980's.Good decade for fun "popcorn" movies. I love the grainy film stock used in the era as well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.