Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

A tiny shred. At most, like Hornsby, some cameos on his solo LPs.

2. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Wow, just read last night's set list from Portland Oregon,.. "Easy Wind" ...Viola Lee Blues, Here comes Sunshine..WTF !!
    In my 25 plus shows from 80 to 86 I've never heard these "sacred" songs except St. Stephen Hartford '83..

I'm still dumbfounded on the seemingly soft rejection or indifference to John Mayer (in some forums).... it is what it is at this point, surely with these amazing set lists who could be bummed?..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    ianuaditis, NorCal and Archtop like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

BUT YOU ARCHTOPPED JOHN F-'N MAYER!

Please don't do it again. Please.

:winkgrin:

Archtop likes this.
  4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hmm, Setlist.fm has "Quadrophenia Jam" coming out of Drums-Space. Fanciful interpretation or actual basis in reality?

Second set looks terrific in any case.

marmalade likes this.
  5. wavethatflag

I'm definitely going to be listening to more Dead & Co., but ... Jerry, please come back! It's time. In any event, I think I'm going to stick to actual GD today before more MayerBobDead.

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Pretty good.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

My take is that everything about Mayer is very annoying with the notable exception of the notes that come out of his guitar.

ConnieGuitar, docwebb and ianuaditis like this.
  8. wavethatflag

He does a good job. Just don't Archtop him anymore. That's for 65-95, :D

9. Archtop

You thrive on sarcasm and I thrive on doing what I'm told not to do:

Check out 5:00-5:30. Mayer's rippin' it.

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  10. wavethatflag

What kind of guitar is that?

edit: It's a PRS Super Eagle.

I've been looking at Dead & Co. tickets for Shoreline and it looks like the lawn for me if I went. Big if though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Archtop and budwhite like this.
  11. Archtop

One shot of advice: The only post-GD I've seen over the past few years (really since the '90s) have been a few snipetts here and there of The Dead, Ratdog, and Phil and Friends, and then, of course, the final Fare Thee Well show. I had very little interest, but this current band seems to be nailing stuff that hasn't been nailed in years; many, many years. I half noticed that they were going to play Fenway, but I did nothing. If I had that to do over again, I'd have been there. Just one opinion.

12. wavethatflag

Your point is a good one. I'm currently weighing Wheatland, CA this Friday (2 hours from me) and Shoreline (not too far from me). I'd end up on the lawn at Shoreline unless I fork out some serious moola for a seat. The aftermarket prices here are incredible. I mean in Wheatland you can get a pavilion seat right now for 72 bucks, but in the Bay Area, forget it--prices get crazy fast unless you can find a real Deadhead that will sell for face. You can find those at cashortrade.org which is a great place for Dead-related and Phish tickets at face or an even trade, but there hasn't been much Dead & Co. Shoreline activity. Which brings me back to "lawn seats will be plentiful" right up to the day of the show, and those are only 50-55 bucks.

"Only", o_O--I saw Jerry for $15 bucks and had a seat.

I saw Dead & Co. last December at the Bill Graham, but they weren't playing like I'm listening to now (6/10/16), and this "Eyes..." deserves attention, with Chimenti going off.

Archtop and NorCal like this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm confused. Is there something wrong with your right index finger? Can you not extend it heavenward in the traditional "miracle" formation and walk around a parking lot at the same time? :) I made a last minute decision to see them last Fall and I was very glad I took the plunge.

max4334, Crispy Rob, NorCal and 2 others like this.
  14. wavethatflag

I could do that. Sometimes I can't see past the internet. But seriously, the chances I'd head to a show without a ticket are, well, I guess it could happen.

This 6/10/16 show is good, man. Good "Eyes" good "Deal", good stuff. Just gotta avoid the "Even So"s and the "Days Between"s. :) The "Liberty" in this show was good, too. I think I like that song.

Oteil steps out a bit towards the end of "Eyes" @Archtop, you might find that interesting.

LUNACHUCK and Archtop like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I did it in Greensboro, but I had the knowledge that the show was not sold out in my back pocket, so I could always opt for the box office if the miracle hunt failed (which it did, in part because I was really inexperienced with it and uncomfortable ... because I always go to shows with tickets in hand). I wound up with a seat for $50 ... flat, no fees, no upcharges. Maybe search for a "miracle" seat and settle for the lawn if nothing comes up?

16. wavethatflag

That's a good plan. I actually had the thought that I might do that if I knew I had the box office to fall back on.

LUNACHUCK and RayS like this.
  17. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I've been going through the exact same thought process for the same shows. I'm still hoping some decent last minute tickets for Shoreline show up on Ticketmaster in the next few days.

LUNACHUCK and wavethatflag like this.
  18. wavethatflag

That would be good. I've never been able to time those last minute Ticketmaster sales though. Well, once I scored a half-price ticket to the Stones at Oracle, essentially $175 for a $350 ticket two days before the show. I think because of a post I saw on a Phil Lesh site.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  19. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Listening to the Space>Prudence from Portland Friday night right now......I dig it :)

budwhite, NorCal and skybluestoday like this.
  20. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Heading off to both Irvine and Chula Vista this week.

I was blessed with a ticket to NYE at the LA Forum eight months ago, and thought oh hell, why not?

I was so impressed by Mayer's poise, integration, and humility (he gave a lovely, sincere shout-out to Deadheads for welcoming him into Our World late in the show) -- this was not what I was expecting, and it was probably the most satisfying GD-related experience I'd had since Jerry died.

Midnight balloon drop pandemonium as they kicked into "Sugar Mags" --

[​IMG]

21. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

max4334, NorCal, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was there, it was fantastic.

Wright likes this.
  23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

WikiLeaks is at it again? :cool:

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

A Golden Gate show in less than 4 weeks that hasn't been announced?
    That sounds crazy.

marmalade likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

I'm so there.

NorCal and Dennis0675 like this.