POLL: Their Satanic Majesties Request--"The Stones In Another Land"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sad to see so little love (from the TSMR fans) for "On With The Show". It kind of takes its inspiration from The Mothers' "America Drinks And goes Home", but adapts it IMO brilliantly to some English seedy, old hat cabaret scene.

"And we'll play Stormy Weather too"... :D

Suncola, Shawn, Neonbeam and 3 others like this.
  2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Ah great, another poll...

Here goes...

Citadel
    The Lantern
    2000 Light Years

3. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Lantern, citadel and rainbow but would have added 200 light years if I could have. My favourite stones album by far, love it and it gets regularly played here.

willy and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I don't know per se (why I don't like "Citadel").

I just remember seeing it praised here, so I gave it a few listens and thought :shrug:

5. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Citadel is BY FAR the greatest song on this album. What the hell is wrong with you people?

I also have a real thing for "The Lantern"

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If I had to pick just one to keep from TSMR, it would be Citadel.

7. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

There have been some good covers of TSMR material over the years. Thinking KISS, Redd Kross, Cibo Matto. Others?

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

"They're naked and they dahnce!" :laugh:

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Sometime in the mid-'90s I went to a live concert by the Scandinavian group Atomic Swing that was in support (I think) of their recently released album Bossa Nova Swap Meet. They blew my mind when they did their one and only encore -- Citadel!

Don't know if they ever actually released the tune though.

Meyer and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it's a nonstop, continuous show. Stay as long as you like, there's a bar downstairs:)

11. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I love this album, except for the side one opener and closer. Citadel is a bad-a/s/s song. One of the first tracks I remember listening to with headphones and hearing so much more.

12. Not my favorite, but I'm surprised there's so little love for "Gomper". It's a good song I think.

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Sing This Song All Together
    Citadel
    The Lantern

Just missing out were In Another Land, 2000 Man and On With the Show. Nothing much wrong with 2000 Light Years From Home or She's A Rainbow either.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

15. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

She's a Rainbow
    2000 Man
    2000 Light Years From Home

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

18. Except for the others.

19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Good to see the love for Citadel. I reckon I can see a bit of Revolver style in there, but that is not to diminish the track at all - it has power and punch. Oh, and I also disagree with Lennon's comment about the Stones following the Beatles; the darker mood of pop music that emerged in 66 was most profoundly embodied in the Stones' work and the Beatles never really effectively managed that in their music. There is a good essay for someone in there - Pop music and Darkness, 1966-7.

20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Rainbow. Much prefer bluesier Stones but this is a nice little hippie dippie side track. 2000 Light Years a close second.

21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

dont know why this LP gets pummeled. bill gets a vote. the sum is greater than the parts even if old keith would that say that its rubbish like having mr kite not there on that other bands record.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I can't pin any specific influence it drew from, Frisco, or otherwise, so that's one of the things I like about it. :D

23. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Satanic' is a masterpiece! I chose Citadel, Gomper and 2000 Light Years from Home.

Scott

24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

This is my favorite Stones album!
    These are my choices:
    She's A Rainbow-a beautiful song. The piano is a highlight.
    In Another Land-a psychedelic masterpiece. The music fits perfectly with the lyrics and the atmosphere is great.
    2000 Light Years From Home-This song sounded like it came from somewhere in the distant future.
    I also quite like:
    Sing This All Together, Citdel, The Lantern
    Sing This All together (See What Happens) is crap, but otherwise this is a good album!

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I LOVE that track, the perfect closing number. But I LOVE all songs on that album, the proto-psych-punk of "Citadel", the great cosmic "2000 Man" ("Oh daddy be proud of your planet!", indeed, yeah!), "Lantern"'s eerie quasi goth leanings, the hyper energetic chorus on the elegant, far out "In Another Land", the icy space junk that is "2000 Light Years From Home", "Gomper"'s' spidery dance on water, the ultra technicolor "She's A Rainbow" and the stoned meandering of "Sing This All Together".

In fact this album has an archaic, pulsating proto-punky energy that I have never heard in ANY Beatles album. That's not a put down, I love The Beatles but by "Satanic Majesties" it should have become obvious that The Stones possess a different kind of venom.

Shame that The Beatles chose NOT to face the challenge to survive the 70's and 80's as a 60's band. That way the Stones could be blamed again because whatever Paul did....It didn't have "The Beatles" on the cover;)

Freek999, EdogawaRampo, willy and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.