Grand Funk LIVE ALBUM

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And before that they made a fantastic space rock album, Flying (II). But why are we talking about UFO?!!

GodShifter likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, it was 3/4 live, with the first side studio of the remaining 5, after Duane's death, but your heart's certainly in the right place ! Good taste Sir. Very good taste.

William K likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I honestly have no idea. Where did UFO come up? Why were they mentioned in the first place?

4. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Loud, sweaty and honest .... what's not to like?

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D If they were, I missed it.

Note: and just because I really like the first two albums, the first album includes C'mon Everybody, the Eddie Cochran song.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The first UFO album is really good.

This conversation belongs in another thread, honestly.

Spaghettiows and Zeki like this.
  7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

This album brings back memories. It was a popular release that many people bought. I have an original copy on lime green Capitol labels, I even have the poster too! It plays like a "best of" their first two albums. As to why more songs from the Closer to Home album weren't on this live set, Live was released before Closer to Home. You only get Mean Mistreater from the Closer to Home album. Mark Farner even says to the live audience that they have a new album coming out.

Scott

GodShifter and Zeki like this.
  8. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

THEY were hairy as all get-out too, with arm bands, afro on a white guy, handlebar moustache, it all worked fr what was uber-cool back then. And Farner could SCREAM! Only Humble Pie's 'Rockin' the Filmore' had more or equal rock gusto...

Larry L and GodShifter like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

They released three albums in 1970! Incredible.

I forgot about Farner saying that. I think Closer to Home was released prior to Live (??), but, yeah, that would just mean the concert was recorded prior to C to H's release.

10. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

GFR is my favorite Rock band by far...and this my second fav live lp.....First being Full House by J.Geils..

Marc Perman and GodShifter like this.
  11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

We don't have to argue the merits of UFO live, we just let the music speak for itself

12. dmiller458

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don't.

Allmans at Fillmore, Waiting for Columbus, Too Late to Stop Now, Humble Pie...I think they're all a bit "better", but to each his own, of course!

ramdom likes this.
  14. dmiller458

Aug 69 On Time
    Dec 69 Grand Funk (Red Album)
    July 70 Closer To Home
    Sept 70 Live Album

That's four in 13 months.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Same here. 6th grade, 11 years old.:winkgrin:

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I don't think it's very good at all... definitely prefer their studio albums.

17. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Is this even still in print? I bought a couple of copies in the cut out bin. Usually when they appear in the cut out bin it means that the sales were so bad it was discontinued. I gave a couple of the copies to friends of mine later on. Great album. I think Closer to Home was released in the summer of 1970, so the concert was probably recorded quite a while before that, which might explain why Closer to Home wasn't on the album.

18. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have 4 past masters that I picked up used in Specs before they closed. Was the live album released as a Japanese Past Master? I've never seen one.

19. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Really? Not going to dismiss your opinion but I think you may be one of the exceptions - that era GFR were a live band, their energy etc just brought the songs from those (really good) albums to a level the studio didn't quite capture (for me anyway).

Todd W. and GodShifter like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Then why was "Mean Mistreater"?

21. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I saw them two or three times before the album came out (they were exciting!) and the material on the album pretty much jibes with what I saw. Mind you, I was not familiar with their records when I saw them live, so wouldn't have known "I'm Your Captain", nor can now recall whether they played it. But the live experience was enough to get me to buy the album, though I felt a bit embarrassed to at the time. I don't know if I'd read some derisive press, or something to do with my older brother's attitude towards them (I was 14), but I felt that they were not considered cool. But I didn't care, I wanted that album and I was gonna make my stand and stand up for them! [I felt a similar mixture of embarrassment and pride when I bought the 2nd Raspberries album. Embarrassment because they looked so damn dorky on the cover, but I've digressed...]. Anyway, I enjoyed and played that album a lot. Now I'm not sure how I feel about it. Certainly not the best live album, but with its merits and my nostalgic fondness for it.

Zeki and GodShifter like this.
  22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Ouch.......love Mean Mistreater. Though, I know you aren't saying you don't like it. I look at this album for a ball busting opener in Are You Ready and then Paranoid. Goodness, that one kicks some serious a$$. Especially the Don's drum opening and Mark coming in blistering. Farner's leads in this are crazy. The best song on the album for me.

As for a comparison recording, I always say both this and Aerosmith's Live Bootleg are very similar. They both are killer albums and recorded blisteringly faithful. Because that is what Aerosmith sounded like in 1978 when I saw them. I didn't see Funk till the Caught in the Act tour. Not as heavy as this, but wonderful nonetheless.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    joelee and GodShifter like this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They were mentioned a long time ago (in the 2nd post in this thread)...and this guy who wandered in here yesterday just started naming off stuff without properly quoting.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well, that solves THAT mystery! (I was really puzzled by that detour.)

jon9091 and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, the first two numbers "Are You Ready" and "Paranoid" really stomp butt. There's just such great energy on those two. I take back what I said about Brewer's drum solo; it's actually pretty good. Farner's guitar solo is pretty laughable though. "A" for effort though.

I really dig "Mark Says Alright" as that tune really rocks and the rhythm section cranks on it. I love when Schacher starts doing octave runs at the end. His sliding around on certain songs is cool, too. I think I play like him more than anyone else after listening closely to him.

As someone in another thread noted, Farner is a very good rhythm guitarist. He has great timing and excellent sense of adding to the song. His leads, though, sound like he's playing a trumpet sometimes; very weird.

I read this album was put together from several shows they did in Florida so it's probably not their full set. It's cool though because it really does sound like it's just one show.

Todd W., jon9091 and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.