Rolling Stones - The Storm - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Let's discuss this b-side from Voodoo Lounge.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Baba Oh Really

This song was from the Voodoo Lounge sessions and can be found, along with So Young on the "Love is strong" single.

Thank you.

3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

'The Storm' is an excellent blues-oriented song. It should've been included on "Voodoo Lounge." Although the 90s version is sufficient, I wouldn't complain if they were to re-record it for their next studio album.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  4. Baba Oh Really

IIRC there are several versions on Voodoo Brew?

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

Definitely. There were some differences, the versions I recall one having harmonica and different vocals. There have been at least 2 unofficial titles (that I know of) which contained this song in some form or another. That "Voodoo Brew" set was enjoyable, although more geared toward diehard Stones fans. Once downloading became a way of life for many, it became more difficult to find. It would be great if they could release either an official rarities box set or a series of rarities volumes containing more of the b-sides and outtakes which haven't been included on other releases.

Hep Alien and Baba Oh Really like this.
  6. Baba Oh Really

When VL came out in 1994 I was crazy big into the Stones. I had a couple of CD singles and this was one of them. I have to say that back then, I was fairly unimpressed with The Storm (and So Young too, I viewed them both basically as throwaways) but now, I view this song as so monumental that it is certainly deserving of its own thread.

Tonight, I got the single out and listened to it, and it made me reflective about that time. Really brought back memories.

Thank you.

melstapler and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Like you, I bought this upon release and thought it was just ok. Maybe because at this point in their career I associated The Stones with Rock more than Blues. I prefer my Stones more Rock oriented so to me, these songs were good but just not what I wanted to hear. Years later, I can really appreciate The Storm and So Young for the great performances they are. Funny how sometimes when you do not get what you are expecting you file it into the "meh" bin. later on when you have no expectation you can appreciate the songs for what they are. I really dig all of the B-Sides from the Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon eras.

8. Baba Oh Really

I agree, you and I have the same experiences. I could never wrap my head around the early sixties Stones because I grew up with albums like Some Girls and Tattoo You.

I must say, however, that quite recently I re-discovered those sixties albums, and they are now amongst my favorites.

mbrownp1, melstapler and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. melstapler

I know this is purely hypothetical, but I would't complain if they were to release 2CD Deluxe Editions of their albums such as "Voodoo Lounge" and "Steel Wheels." If that somehow violates their artistic vision as far as albums are concerned, then rarities compilations would be perfect. IMHO, they could've released a couple albums using the outtakes/rarities. Even those songs are far too strong to be forgotten or discarded.

10. Baba Oh Really

You. Ain't. Kidding!!! Some of that stuff from the Voodoo Lounge sessions drives me insane when I hear it! Even them instrumentals...

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

Definitely. All I can say is, something needs to be done to release these recordings. At this point, I wouldn't complain even if a shady grey market label released some rarities compilations sourced from those collections we discussed.

12. Juggsnelson

I am in the same boat:) The blues stuff takes a bit more work for me to get into.

mbrownp1 and Baba Oh Really like this.
  13. Juggsnelson

I thought "Anyway You Look At It" was one of Mick's best ballad performances in ages but it got relegated to B-Side status. That single for "Saint of Me" also includes a killer live version of "Gimme Shelter" too!

14. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I loved "The Storm" when it first came out. It sounded like a continuation of the theme of original b-sides that began with "Fancy Man Blues" from the Steel Wheels sessions. To me, it felt like a gift to hardcore Stones fans as sort of a counter-balance to the more polished album tracks.

Fun fact: if you listen closely to the beginning of the "The Storm," you can hear Charlie say, "Can we have this in mono?" For his headphones, I assume.

15. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

,,,yay ! deserves to be on VL.....

16. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I think the song is great. I grew up with the Stones. I have been listening to them since the Beginning. Just waiting for that new album to be released.

17. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Pulled out my Love Is Strong single to check this out! Thanks, fun to hear Watts at the start.

Comparing the versions of So Young now,which I guess are the same take.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like The Storm along with So Young, Jump On Top Of Me and I'm Gonna Drive better than some of the tracks that were included on Voodoo Lounge. However, I do feel Voodoo Lounge was their best studio album after Tattoo You.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.